Windows power plan settings explorer utility

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, Aug 3, 2017.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    From UEFI.org ACPI specification:

2. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    i has question :)

how can i set ur PowerPlan Explorer ro English if my windows language is different?
    this really annoys me

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Switch your Windows to English locale?
    I mean app just reads things with API functions.
    Only another way would be a translation added by me manually, but that would be a hell of the work and constant maintenance...

BetA likes this.
  4. Chilace

Chilace New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1050Ti 4GB
    But lowering DPI increases input lag:

5. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Will this make it remember UI adjustments? as e.g. I make the bottom box bigger so its fits all my power schemes, but on relaunch it resets to default.

6. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    The obvious caveat is this will induce lag for when cores need to be unparked or to shift to a higher p-state, unless I have misunderstood the description for the variable, its basically how often windows probes for a potential p-state and core parking change.

Also that it will take longer to shift to lower performance states although no one will probably care about that.

I am going to test this out and will report back if I notice any issues, I do use a CPU that parks p-cores by default.

However if you have a power scheme configured to e.g. always run in a maximum performance state, there should be no downsides of changing this.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I am sure you are using not latest version of PSE - it saves the adjustments of both sliders (in file "PowerSettingsExplorer.exe.Config").

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It is not a variable, it is a power plan setting. It is viable to increase that timer period to maximum value when P-states are disabled/ignored - no sense to fire the DPC (allegedly) to check for P-states change each 20ms if P-states are disabled/ignored. I would assume for Windows code to not fire such P-state related DPC at all, but looks like it is not the case.

PS On second thought, it can be that even if P-states are not in effect but core parking is in effect then this timer period should not be maximized.

PPS Since I stay with 10th generation of Intel CPU I disable core parking. And since I use SpeedShift feature (hardware P-states) I maximized that timer period. But I still will check with tools from ADK whether said DPC is fired or not. I mean why do it if both legacy P-states and core parking is disabled...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
  9. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Basically same as what I said then, if you on a power profile with locked performance is no down side, however the vast majority of people wont be using such a profile. Even the default ultimate performance profile e.g. doesnt force all p-cores unlocked. Although this I think is only an issue for owners of hybrid CPUs.

An additional note on core parking, the power scheme settings are a little odd (Windows 10) in how they designed, but basically p-core exclusive settings are only used on hybrid cpu's, the standard settings used e.g. on something like a 9900k, are what control the e-cores on a hybrid cpu, so essentially e-core is kind of treated as the default core, and the p-core as the special case, not the other way round.

So in your app anything that says "Processor Power Efficiency Class 1 processor" means a p-core and is ignored completely on a non hybrid cpu,

So e.g.

"Processor performance core parking parked performance state"

On AMD. 9900k etc. is used.
    On 13700k is e-core.

"Processor performance core parking parked performance state for Processor Power Efficiency Class 1"

On AMD. 9900k etc. is ignored
    On 13700k is p-core.

Reason this is relevant?

As it turns out the core parking behaviour is quite different between Processor Power Efficiency Class 1 and the normal core setting.

Processor performance core parking min. cores for Processor Power Efficiency Class 1, defaults to 0 for all power schemes.
    However Processor performance core parking min cores defaults to 100 for all power schemes.

Basically 9900k, 10th gen, AMD etc. no core parking by default, on 12th gen, 13th, 14th gen, no core parking on e-cores but enabled on p-cores, the only way to disable core parking on p-cores is using something like your app to override it. :)

I adjusted my ultimate performance scheme to set min as 100 on Processor Power Efficiency Class 1.

On the variable thing we will agree to disagree on it, to me anything that is a customisable value is a variable, so we obviously interpret that differently. :)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
  10. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I think I know whats going on here, I believe I have the latest version but its in program files and it doesnt use UAC so no permission to save the file, thanks for this info, I will move it to appdata and adjust the custom control panel link I have to it.

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I take it you are on Win10 from your comments. In Win11 "
    Processor performance core parking min cores for Processor Power Efficiency Class 1" doesn't control P cores, in fact nothing does in power plan setting. You have to use " Processor performance core parking min cores" as a global parking setting across all cores, P and E cores.

Anyway, if you use parked cores, like the default plans I wouldn't use that tweak timer value but you can test if it is slow to unpark when a burst load is needed.

Chrysalis likes this.
  12. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Yes I am on 10, thats an interesting change of behaviour, that would indicate they decided to treat hybrid core types all as one cpu type, and would explain why intel released that thread director, so basically windows removed its own recognition and handed over control to the thread director.

So yeah what I posted applies to 10 and not 11 then. I will edit the post.

Good we agree on the use of that timer tweak as well, looks like we both came to the same conclusion. :) I might enable it on my ultimate performance scheme, as on that min unparked is at 100% so they always unparked, but will leave it on the other schemes.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
  13. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    When I was on Win10 I used to use that setting "prefer performant cores" scheduling for both long and short threading. It would help a lot to stop E core only loading.
    In Win11 you don't need that so much but the setting does work, I use it on my plans, and performance is very slightly increased.

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You disagree with Windows devs - they called it "power plan setting" and offered WinAPi functions, CLI and GUI tools for them.
    But of course, you can call them whatever you want.
    It only creates a little confusion for people who called it "setting". Especially for those who aware of "true" variables in Windows - environment ones.

PS And for developers word "variable" means something else.

15. Donduck

Donduck Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX Vega 7
    Technically, some power settings values are sometimes called "kernel variables":[​IMG]

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070

No. Those power settings duplicate/represent those kernel variables. All power settings are stored in specific registry keys/values and maintained by power related code, while kernel variables are stored in their own registry keys/values and maintained by kernel (hence the name).

PS We with Chrysalis disagree on semantics, not on mechanics. He calls each setting "variable" just because he can change it. I reckon such approach as confusing because of presence of another "variables" in Windows.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2023
  17. reslore

reslore Member Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 7800 XT
    Installed Windows 11 23H2 recently and noticed some more settings cropping up under power management. There's a section called Interrupt Steering Settings now that seems to be able to spread out interrupt affinities across unparked cores. I know many people try to manually do this for dpc latency optimizations, maybe using this would be an easier and better solution.

InterruptSteeringSettings.jpg

18. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    That interrupt settings are not new, they are in older versions of W10/11.

19. Donduck

Donduck Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX Vega 7
    Some limited tests report that using the last option would somehow reduce latency by a bit, I guess it is because of how SMT works. You don't really need to tweak it.

20. Donduck

Donduck Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX Vega 7