1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows power plan settings explorer utility

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, Aug 3, 2017.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Core parking was "ON" by default (in two of three power plans) only in Windows7. But to be sure you should watch after these graphs for some time on idle. Core parking is not permanent setting for specified core(s). It is "ON" or "OFF" globally, and when it is "ON" OS kernel can park (and unpark) any core(s) according to current CPU load and various hidden power settings related to core parking.

duttyend and BetA like this.
  2. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    As mbk1969 stated the best way is with windows own Resource Monitor and switch to CPU tab, which will show if the cores are parked.
    On your pic of Park control > Bitsum HP plan, that doesn't look correct even though it will work. Default setting is "parking AC/DC" Disabled = 100%.on both.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    duttyend and BetA like this.
  4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Found a bug in sources, but I will be able to fix it only at November 12 or 13.
    Bug was introduced by the fix of October 19. So typical...

duttyend likes this.

5. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    So I take it, this only affects laptops?

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Trying to fix the bug for laptops (DC column not saved) I made a bug for all platforms for the ranged values (i.e. with up-down control) - they are not saved on Apply.

I am too lazy to build fixed sources without VisualStudio. And I don`t want to install VisualStudio at home rig. So either I will wait till next week to build it at work, or I will change my mind and will install VS at home rig.

duttyend likes this.
  7. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Ok, Good to know.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    duttyend and chinobino like this.
  9. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Great
    I am on a desktop so I never saw any issues (no DC options).

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I am too. I have noticed a bug with DC column when I decided to run on notebook at work. And then a classic copy-n-paste error occurred when I fixed DC column.
    That actually shows why developers should not be trusted to test their own code.

duttyend likes this.

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    I forgot to ask you this.
    On my end the tool mostly only shows AC values (my guess its reading from user>powertheme key = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\User) but windows reg still shows AC/DC values the tool doesn't.
    Example HP plan HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes\8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c\245d8541-3943-4422-b025-13a784f679b7
    Shows AC/DC but tool shows just AC ones.
    My copy of the tool is version 1.0, dated 11/10/18

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Utility doesn`t use registry to enumerate and edit settings. There are power scheme functions in Win API. And one of them is PowerDeterminePlatformRole - if this function doesn`t return "PlatformRoleMobile" utility hides DC column.

duttyend likes this.
  13. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Ahh, ok, now I see what's going on.
    I thought it was reading the reg.

14. chros

chros Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB
    Hi! First of all a huge Thank You for this utility! It's just simply amazing how easy to view/edit/compare different power plan settings!

Not just that but to underclocking as well :)

There are couple of other options as well, I thought I understood them, but it didn't work the way I wanted. I'll get back to you in a week if I won't be able to figure it out what the problem is.
    Thanks!

duttyend likes this.
  15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    @chros
    You are welcome.
    Get back even if you will succeed with those couple options - to share the experience.

duttyend likes this.

16. chros

chros Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB
    Thanks for the warm welcome, will do. :)

I had undervolted/underclocked all my desktop/laptop PC in the past 15 years, and always used specific softwares for this purpose on Windows (e.g. rmclock, cpugenie, etc) (used kernel params on Linux).
    Since I could do the undervolting part in UEFI of the motherboard (amd b450 chipset: Asus Prime b450-plus + Ryzen 5 2600), only underclocking remained and I don't want to use any more utility, since everything can be set easily via power plans: thanks to Your utility :)

"Why would you even undervolt/underclock your CPU?!"
    I wanted to have a really quiet PC (not completely silent though) for occasional work and htpc usage (madVR) but no gaming, so I ended up building exactly like this (there's a 6TB WD Purple hdd, plus MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB vga in it as well (the latter is also undervolted/underclocked with MSI Afterburner)):
    only the VGA has 2 (really silent) fans (that don't turn on below 60C), apart from it it's a fanless system. :)

17. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Lightning
    Thank you for writing this utility - I can finally see what is going on with my power plans visually on one screen!

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Yeah, Microsoft`s design of power plan advanced settings sucks. As if they specially do this to avert users from changing these settings.

duttyend likes this.
  19. chros

chros Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB
    So, it turned out that problem I had I have it with OEM Balanced profile as well (BatchEncoder sometimes use less files for encoding to qaac than the actual core count).

The idea is to reduce heat production by making the CPU "lazy".

Here are my (final?) settings for underclocking Ryzen 5 2600 CPU (6 CPU, 12 threads) based on OEM Balanced profile.
    AMD b450 chipset driver also comes with a plan called Ryzen Balanced plan.
    I went through all the possible entries (59) under "Processor power management" group and took a note of them when values were different across profiles. Default values for other profiles are in the brackets to be easily comparable.

- System cooling policy: All: Passive
    - Minimum processor state: All(-HighPerformance): 5
    - Maximum processor state: All(-HighPerformance): chros: 99 (Defaults (%): Saver:75, Balanced+Ryzen+High: 100)
    - Processor performance increase threshold: chros: 80 (Defaults (%): Saver: 90, Balanced: 60, High: 30, Ryzen: 25)
    - Processor performance decrease threshold: chros: 40 (Defaults (%): Saver: 60, Balanced: 20, High+Ryzen: 10)
    - Processor idle demote threshold: chros: 30 (Defaults (%): Saver: 20, Rest: 40)
    - Processor idle promote threshold: chros: 50 (Defaults (%): Saver: 40, Rest: 60)
    - Processor performance time check interval: chros: 30 (Defaults (ms): Saver: 200, Balanced: 30, High+Ryzen: 15)
    - Processor performance core parking overutilization threshold: chros: 88 (Defaults (%): Saver: 90, Balanced+Ryzen: 85, High: 60)

- Processor performance core parking min cores: chros: 10 (Defaults (%): High+Ryzen: 100, Rest: 10)
    - Processor performance boost policy: chros: 45 (Defaults (%): Saver: 0, Balanced+Ryzen: 60, High: 100)
    - Processor performance increase policy: chros: Ideal (Defaults: Saver: Single, Balanced+Ryzen: Ideal, High: Rocket)
    - Processor performance decrease policy: chros: Ideal (Defaults: Saver: Rocket, Balanced+Ryzen: Ideal, High: Single)
    - Processor performance increase time: chros: 2 (=60) (Defaults (perf check): Saver: 3 (=600), Rest: 1(B=30, R=15))
    - Processor performance decrease time: chros: 1 (=30) (Defaults (perf check): All: 1 (S=200, B=30, R=15))
    - Processor performance core parking increase time: chros: 5 (=150) (Defaults (perf check): Saver: 1 (=200), Balanced+Ryzen: 3 (=90,45), High: 7 (=105))
    - Processor performance core parking decrease time: chros: 10(=300) (Defaults (perf check): Saver: 2 (=400), Balanced+Ryzen: 10(=300,150), High: 20 (=300))

What do you think about this whether this is true? :)
    the last four perf checks depend on the "Processor performance time check interval" milliseconds setting
    - e.g.: chros: 30*2=60 ; 30*5=150 ; etc.

Edit:
    I'm also not sure whether the "Processor performance boost policy" is needed at all (or what it does) since CPU turbo is switched off in UEFI.

duttyend likes this.
  20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    You can lower this value to forbid higher P-states.

There are two separate settings for check interval: for P-states (above) and for C-states - "Processor idle time check" (in microseconds).
    Both settings specify the frequency of calculations of P-states and C-states, and the periods of effects for calculated states.
    I would suggest 50 or 100 milliseconds (50000 or 100000 microseconds) intervals.

Core parking settings are relevant only when core parking is turned on. And to turn it on specify value of "Processor performance core parking min cores" lower then value of "Processor performance core parking max cores". If both values are the same core parking is off.
    I would not use core parking. It was introduced for server versions of Windows.

You can increase laziness of CPU by setting increase policy to "Single".

I would set both to "1" to configure only check intervals (see above).

All power plan settings which are irrelevant (currently) will be ignored, so no matter.

PS And these two settings "Processor performance increase threshold" and "Processor performance decrease threshold" define the CPU usage tresholds for increasing and decreasing P-state. If you set "Processor performance decrease threshold" to value closer to "Processor performance increase threshold" one then lower P-state should be selected quicker.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    duttyend likes this.