Windows Phone 9 will reportedly drop Metro UI

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Russian blogger Eldar Murtazin, known for some of his accurate tips on the mobile industry in the past, said on Twitter that Windows Phone 9 will launch at some point in the second half of 2014 (third...

Windows Phone 9 will reportedly drop Metro UI

2. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    One disadvantage of dropping Metro on Windows Phone 9 is that now users have to carry a keyboard and mouse with them. :p

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Never liked the Tile UI .. too crowded and "busy" with the live ones.

4. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    Heh, I don't think they will drop the UI on phones and tablets, OS I can relate to with the option to have it if you want considering the flak that W8 got when it launched.......hey its all about options.

5. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    This makes no sense.

Dropping it for touch-enabled devices but still ramming it down the throat of desktop users?

No, I think "seeing is believing" will have to apply here.

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Making it up.

It's not hard to find a contentious issue and exploit it to draw attention to yourself.

What's he going to do next? Make up bs about mantle under-performing because he prefers nVidia ?

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Sign of the times for windows?

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    No it won't. Microsoft has pushed this new UI on all of their devices. I find it hard to believe that Windows Phone will be the only exception to this.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Just a rumor at this point. Removing MetroUI was supposedly a "consideration" for WP9. Supposedly MS was working on an entirely new UI for WP9. We'll find out when it launches. I'd love to see a more "android like" UI for WP.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Hasn't MS worked for too long and pushed Metro too hard for them to suddenly drop it ?

And they are on about joining all their OS's into one across all devices, so how will they do that unless they drop Metro on PCs / tablets too ?

Can't see Metro being dropped from Mobile devices any time soon

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    MS is planning to merge WP and RT. Haven't heard anything about them merging all OSes... They've only talked about a unified user experience that I'm aware of.

13. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Hmmm...

Yeah we all know MS is pushing a single scaling experience to all devices which is btw a damn good idea once they get it to really work. And we also know that they are currently making huge efforts to make the code base the same too.

I think this news goes a little far about what Eldar actually said. There was no talk about dumping Metro all together. It was about Metro evolving closer to what Android is. Which makes sense because what other options there really are? It cant go any more simple.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea that's what I mean, a unified experience across all device isn't going to work if one of them doesn't have Metro UI and the rest do

15. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    by default: enable metro on touchscreen devices, disable on desktop

16. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Do you even own a WP8?
    Most of us that do, prefer the Metro UI over the cluttered UI that Android and Apple devices ship with.

17. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I personally liked the Metro UI better than Android. It's a shame that when I dropped Verizon and went to Sprint that Sprint had no good Windows Phones at the time so I went back to Android

18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I don't need to own a phone to judge the UI. I have friends. I find WP to be an unusable mess.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Agreed. I don't buy into the whole "unified experience" ideal though. A unified experience might be great for some but, I prefer to be able to customize each UI to meet my needs based on the exact device. Having every device run the same UI, isn't always the most efficient. I need a UI that can easily adapt to me....and Android is untouchable in that respect.

My Nexus 4 was far from "cluttered" when I received it. It had the clock, a search bar and 8 necessary (for me anyway) icons on the main home screen. I don't own a WP8 device, currently, but I do own 4 Android phones, an iPhone and a WP7 phone.

Windows Phone is excellent for those new to smartphones. However, for the more experienced, it's quite lacking. When I bought into WP7, it really wasn't much different from using my KinTwoM. The only real differences being performance and the ability to install "apps". The UI is still largely the same as the MetroUI that was introduced with the Kin line of "feature" phones.

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea, I disable the sync option on Windows 8.1 too, I don't want my laptop to look identical to my PC, I generally theme my machines depending on which hardware I have inside of them, doesn't look very good when you have an AMD FX 8 Core, or ASUS ROG wallpaper set on a dual core turion 5 year old laptop