Windows pauses.....

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by sykozis, Jan 24, 2020.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    So..... The R5 2600 was installed Sunday (yesterday) morning. So far, only 1 error today, at 7:30AM this morning (usbperf). It was the first and only error since 7:55PM last night. Aside from that, only DCOM errors. The only unusual behavior I've experienced has come from the Chrome browser, but admittedly, I haven't tested Vivaldi to see if it continues to have the same issues. I have been using the Chromium based Edge browser instead, and it's been uneventful....just how I like things with my browser.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    So it was a faulty CPU? ;-)

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    It's looking like some minor data corruption now.... The search errors are back, as well as Perflib. The kernel errors seem to be resolved though. The performance gain from the processor change has been more drastic than expected, so it's possible the 1600 was damaged when it overheated. Let's face it, 125C (reported by Ryzen Master), is bad for any processor...... My plan is to spend the coming weekend fixing all remaining issues. Unfortunately, without having the 1600 tested, I can't get a definitive answer in regards to it's condition. However, having the kernel errors no longer appearing definitely points to a processor issue.

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    What type of cooling are you running for it to get that hot?

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    water....lol Custom Loop.
    After reinstalling Windows, my pump stopped running. Haven't found an explanation as to why the pump stopped. It's been working just fine since the morning after. I am planning to move back to aircooling in the next few months though, since this isn't the first time I've had a pump randomly stop.

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Have you considered an all in one liquid cooler?

I'm running a corsair hydro series one and it's been perfect since about near the end of 2018 is when I got it, same with my brothers cooler, his is much older than mine too, with that said my previous liquid cooler started to leak which is why I got a new one, that was an Antec branded one, the little fittings at the radiator were plastic so over time it kind of deteriorated, the ones on the newer corsair one are metal, so *fingers crossed* corsair won't have that problem.

That said, if you have a case with the room you cant go past a huge slab of metal for a cooler xD

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I've had a Corsair H50 and H60 and a pair of Antec Kuhler 620s....... With my current setup, I stay in the low-mid 50's under load as long as the pump runs. I can switch to an Arctic Cooling Freezer 33 eSport One and stay around the same temps....with less noise and no concern of leaks or pump failures. I could also just throw in my Wrath Spire from my R5 1600.....lol

KissSh0t likes this.
  8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Damn, you have heaps already xD

I've got the H60 V2 with the Corsair Air Series SP120 fan at the front of the rad, and a generic see through fan at the rear pushing out for a push pull setup.

I guess for aircooling you could look at the Noctua NH-D15 or the Cooler Master Hyper 212, from what I can tell those seem to be good.

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    And my rig is perfectly fine with air cooler from Noctua...

386SX likes this.
  10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The H50, H60 and both Kuhler 620's are long gone. Also had a Cooler Master Glacier 240L..... That's also long gone, at least the pump and tubing are anyway. I still have and use the radiator.

If I go back to aircooling, I'll go back to Arctic Cooling products. Most likely a Freezer 33 eSport One. I've never had an issue with Arctic Cooling products. In my experience, they always perform better than reviewers show.

I have my old Core i5 6600K sitting in a DIYPC Zondda-O with a Freezer 33 eSport One cooler. In a 23C room, it's temperature peaks at 56C. Gamers Nexus just slammed that same case for poor cooling performance.....but I'm not dumb enough to use an entry-level case for a "high-end" system. Nor do I limit fan speed to make the results worse. Btw, if the reviewer uses "normalized" fan speeds or noise levels....the reviewer is a flipping idiot that has no clue WTF they're doing. I lost all respect for Gamers Nexus after watching that joke of a review...... [/rant]

Sorry, had to get that out..... Never expected to see such ignorance or blatant stupidity from Gamers Nexus.... "Let's throw in a Core i7 7700K, put the CPU and GPU under full load, with the CPU cooler gimped to hell and see what happens...." What happens is that the reviewer shows his stupidity.....

Anyway.....nothing but usbperf and the typical dcom errors since my post here yesterday. Chrome and Vivaldi still freeze periodically, but Chromium Edge works, nearly, perfectly..... I'm pretty sure at this point that I need to reinstall Chrome and Vivaldi. That'll be part of the cleanup process over the weekend. Basically, I'm going to wipe the drive and start over..... All new install media that will be built using the i5 6600K based system....since I know it's 100% stable.

11. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    NH-C14s here since 2011 (year and socket :p):

[​IMG]
    (photo from the net, not my rig)

AIRHEADS UNITE! :D

mbk1969 likes this.
  12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    I had exact same cooler for my x79 rig! Only I removed the second fan (one which is closer to CPU).

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Well.....a couple days ago, I did a rebuild. Went a little more extreme than originally intended. Wasn't supposed to be a rebuild, just a CPU cooler replacement, but I couldn't find pieces of the case that I removed when I built it.

The system has been completely stable since the CPU change. Found workarounds for other issues that were irritating me, that were completely unrelated to anything in this thread. So, the final step was to replace the custom water loop.

Replaced DIYPC D480 case with Metallic Gear Neo-G (by Phanteks)
    Replaced custom water loop with Arctic Cooling Freezer 33 eSport One
    Replaced Corsair PCIe and SATA ribbon style cables with sleeved cables.

Removed a bunch of hardware that was really unneeded.

Still running the bare minimum.... No drivers that aren't absolutely necessary for the system to function. No software that isn't absolutely necessary for day to day use, aside from games. Still plan to do another clean install when I have time. I created a new install media, with a brand new USB drive. It was created using my son's system this time.

I have stress tested the system. Max temp, under load is 54C, so doing quite well. Cooler and quieter than before.

Still have the perflib, usbperf and other related errors in event viewer though. Hopefully those will be resolved with the reinstall.

14. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Anything new on this?

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the perflib error will be thrown anytime windows update changes the perf library dll's and fails to update the perflib state.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Really nothing to add.
    My issue was caused by data corruption that resulted from a damaged processor.
    The issue started after the CPU overheated.
    Since replacing the processor and reinstalling Windows, the "pauses" have ceased.

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    *bangs fist on table*

I demand Photo's!

xD

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I took some photos right after the rebuild, but I'm too lazy to upload them...lol
    Here's the case though: http://www.metallicgear.com/products/Neo-G
    Quite honestly, it's the best case I've ever built in. I'm only using the 2 included intake fans and they are silent. The case design is pretty much perfect for my setup.

KissSh0t likes this.