Windows pauses.....

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by sykozis, Jan 24, 2020.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Strange title, I know. But don't worry, I'll attempt to explain....

So, I have/had a thread in the general hardware section in regards to a network interface card and it's drivers. That's been put on hold temporarily.... So, for the last week I've been noticing little freezes when working with any software the requires internet. These freezes only last a few seconds. While trying to figure out wtf I can't reinstall NIC drivers, I decided to take a glance at Event Viewer. There were hundreds of errors and warning logged. I've gotten it down to 3, in total. There is the usual Event ID 10016 from DCOM. There's also Event ID 2002 from PerfProc and Event ID 2004 from PerfNet. After hours upon hours of searching, I've found no remedy for the PerfProc and PerfNet errors. MS says that Event ID 10016 from DCOM is common and benign. However, in my particular case..... Every time Event ID 10016 is logged, it corresponds to a freeze. To me, that doesn't appear benign....

This thread will be monitored until Saturday evening, January 25, 2020..... No solutions by then, I'll just wipe the system and start over...again. I've been working on fixing errors for 2 days, what's another 2 days? Right?

Specs:
    Windows 10 Pro build 1909
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600
    MSI B350 Tomahawk
    G.Skill RipJaw V DDR4-3200@1933
    MSI Radeon FX5700
    Intel 600P 1TB
    FiiO K10E
    ADATA SU650 500GB

Any other info you need, just ask. I'll answer the best I can.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the dcom errors are benign, microsoft hasn't deregistered a few event handlers that no longer exist.

for the PerfProc error, try Lodctr /R

what is your output for BCDEDIT?

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I tried Lodctr /R a dozen or so times. No change.... Now search is giving event ID's 3006, 3007 and 10021....ugh Feelin a reinstall this weekend if this keeps up.

BCDEDIT output.... (unsure of it's usefulness since it's a single-boot system)

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier {bootmgr}
    device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume2
    path \EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFI
    description Windows Boot Manager
    locale en-US
    inherit {globalsettings}
    default {current}
    resumeobject {b4db696d-3aaa-11ea-8e15-c95fdee6e843}
    displayorder {current}
    toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
    timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier {current}
    device partition=C:
    path \WINDOWS\system32\winload.efi
    description Windows 10
    locale en-US
    inherit {bootloadersettings}
    recoverysequence {b4db696f-3aaa-11ea-8e15-c95fdee6e843}
    displaymessageoverride Recovery
    recoveryenabled Yes
    isolatedcontext Yes
    allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075
    osdevice partition=C:
    systemroot \WINDOWS
    resumeobject {b4db696d-3aaa-11ea-8e15-c95fdee6e843}
    nx OptIn
    bootmenupolicy Standard

This was actually a clean Windows install a few days ago.....

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    BCD is defaults

Are you sure you're not actually having navi related issues?
    The perfproc and perfnet issues don't typically stall out the system.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The errors in event viewer are getting out of hand. I tried a few more "fixes" lastnight and now have more errors.... Starting to look like a "wipe the drive and try again" problem. If it persists after that, I'll swap back to the RX470 and see if anything changes. I'll update with the full list of errors this evening after work.

6. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Error 10016 normally seen when on a computer upgraded to Windows 10 and not on clean installs. It seems to be an inherited setting that the installer doesn’t overwrite.........trying to start DCOMs

Try by going to (export the reg settings first [right click on "ole" folder and export as backup]:
    > regedit
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole
    > Delete these:
    • DefaultAccessPermission
    • DefaultLaunchPermission
    • MachineAccessRestriction
    • MachineLaunchRestriction
    -----------------------------------------------
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/com/hkey-local-machine-software-microsoft-ole

----------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    mbk1969 likes this.
  7. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    @mbk1969
    ...was waiting a confirmation from yours...........

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Already done with no change.

9. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Last time I have seen something like this (although on completely different HW) it was faulty network card or network cable.

Caesar likes this.
  10. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    UPGRADED or CLEAN INSTALLED OS?

RESET (keep apps and personal folders).....OR Clean INSTALL....promising to have latest OS and drivers in hand from manufacturer's website ..... and RE CHECK issues.....

At times.... after clean install, most people install the "always should be installed apps ( a culture???)" (examples: xyz disk defrag tools/xyz registry cleaner optimizer/xyz internet optimizer/ xyz game optimizer and so on.....);) ...so don't install utility tools after [if ever you clean install].....and then you can check the ERROR according to your first post.

ALTHOUGH HAVING HIGH-END HARDWARE DOESNT MEAN EVERYTHING IS AT OPTIMUM LEVEL AS SOFTWARE DECIDES HOW TO MAKE THE LATTER BEHAVE......(SO NEED TO BE SURE WHAT HAVE BEEN INSTALLED) :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It was a clean install that's now about 10 days old.

All that's been installed are component drivers, web browsers and a couple games. I've intentionally held off on installing anything that I could get by without due to the errors. I'm only using 1 3rd party utility, and it runs from a standalone executable that doesn't require installation.

The application that was made available to me, shows a lot more errors occurring than Event Viewer does. I'm not going to give details on the application. I'll let it's author do that when he's ready. The number of errors it's reporting are concerning though.

Only 1 instance each of errors from PerfNet and PerfProc since switching from the Intel NIC to the integrated Realtek NIC, according to Event Viewer.... However, usbperf, Perflib and search have maintained pretty regular errors. It's looking like the best course of action at this point would be to remove the Intel NIC from the system and perform a "Restore" without retaining data. Then see if the errors return. The Intel NIC is simply disabled in Device Manager at the moment.

Well.....wouldn't be the first Intel NIC I've had fail.... I'll be removing it from the system later to see if anything changes.

386SX and Caesar like this.
  12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @sykozis
    Also you can search for possible performance counters added by some service/device
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/perfctrs/creating-the-applications-performance-key

Search for "Performance" registry keys in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services", rename ("Berformance" for example) suspicious ones and reboot.
    May be Intel NIC does that.

Upd: Or you can try to disable performance counters for the particular service
    https://coresql.com/2018/07/26/how-to-disable-specific-performance-counters-in-windows/
    - if only that info is not outdated.
    For example you can disable performance counters for PerfNet and for UsbPerf.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  14. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
  15. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Just a wild guess: a mediafire download? ;)

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Well, the freezes have become more frequent over the last couple days. Nothing points to a direct cause. This morning however, I remembered that my pump had failed to power up when installing drivers, resulting in the CPU overheating. I have an R5 2600 on order to replace my R5 1600. It will be here in a few days. After CPU replacement I'll reset Windows and see how things go from there.

Yep... how'd you guess?

386SX likes this.
  17. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I am a "beta tester" currently for the app in question. :D

EDIT: But it doesn't show more than Windows. You only would have to click through the hundreds of sub menus to check all logs. Those are all Windows logs or logs from drivers and such which get logged through Windows' own log mechanisms instead to say a text file. Isn't it beautiful? :)

Regarding all the errors ... some of them are obsolete, not really errors or false positives. For example if my DVD drive is empty, "storport" periodically increases the error counter of read errors. Sure, but a log entry only telling you a port gets you afraid in no time I bet. I was afraid my brand new 4tb drives had a failure tbh. ... same goes with these where you see some kind of "if memory > 99%" or the same with CPU or other components. Google the error description and you quickly will find out if it's a "false positive" or not.

If unsure post the error codes or messages or send a PM. :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Right now, there appear to be a couple hundred entries from Kernel-PnP in event viewer..... The number of instances from usbperf, Perflib, Perfnet and PerfProc have increased dramatically. In a few days, I'll throw in an R5 2600 to rule out the processor and we'll go from there..... In the meantime, I'm going to run memtest.

On a side note.... If you haven't tried the new Chromium based Edge browser, I recommend giving it a shot. It's still lacking some features, but appears decent overall. Vivaldi kind of pissed me off so I downloaded the Chromium based Edge update..... Can't wait for MS to finish it. Hopefully it doesn't end up like IE....

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    thats.... not normal.

20. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Thank you for your kind words. :p

mbk1969 likes this.