1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts ...

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Yeah, I am happy. Signature of Q5 is closer to high-end/audiophile part of spectre.

PS And I don`t use it with USB. I feed it with optical signal from integrated Realtek card.

2. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    I am not doubting it may improve for you and your HW, I am just reporting my findings with my HW/software.
    Who knows maybe ASmedia doesn't support priority values.

3. sidi0us

sidi0us Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000
    @mbk1969

Awesome, that Q5 is in a different league then what I currently have, to say at least... I've just started getting into mid range audio headphones, only have a pair of HD558 and 58X for now.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    My rig has ASmedia USB controllers and I set high priority but I don't feel the difference, which of course proves nothing.

It is not clear whether this setting in registry overwrites the default priority requested by driver. In case it is applied by OS then driver`s value is ignored.

Main thing is to have store or a guys with collections to listen every pair to find your sound.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    • Addresses an issue in which Windows Driver Frameworks causes high CPU utilization. As a result, the user-mode driver stops working when the device resumes from Hibernate (S4).
    - part of fresh Cumulative Update for Win10 1803
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4480976/windows-10-update-kb4480976

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  6. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Yes, I just put it back to "undefined", which I assume is stock config setting.
    I"ll see if I notice anything going this way, back to stock.

7. Nawafwaba

Nawafwaba New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070
    pci lock in msconfig help me a lot

he disable my sound card but give low input lag

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Judging by description of that setting you experience pure placebo.

9. Nawafwaba

Nawafwaba New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070

2 week placebo?

10. Sylphide

Sylphide New Member

GPU:
    RX 480 4GB
    First of all hello everyone i'm from Portugal, so i've been having this issue since Ryzen came out, i have random audio and sometimes screen stutters when i'm playing or just randomly listening to music or even talking in discord aswell, people just cut out sometimes for like a second or two and then it just comes back and first i thought it was a driver issue so i reinstalled windows multiple times, tried different drivers, updated them all too and never fixed it. I also have a second computer which is a ryzen 5 1600 and a b350 mobo aswell so i tried changing every part one by one until i realized it wasn't an hardware issue either so i just dont know what it is anymore.
    I mean if i reinstalled windows there's no way it can be driver related right? Idk...
    And it's also not hardware related.. I hope someone knows anything that it could be related to

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Since you can`t measure such thing, yes. The setting in question just forbids the Windows to redistribute resources of PCI devices relying on BIOS.

PS I mean it can be real. And it can be a coincidence with some update (drivers, OS). Have you at least tried with and without that setting (back and forth) several times?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    oops... double post...

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Try to measure the ISR and DPC latencies as described here
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/simple-way-to-trace-dpcs-and-isrs.423884/

You can post the measurement here.

As a side note: why have you chosen to post in this thread? You would get a better response if you would create a dedicated thread.

14. KWSW

KWSW New Member

Hi, I am also having some issues with my audio popping and crackling with my usb audio device. May I know if you set all your usb host controllers to high priority or just the one connected to your DAC? And if its just the one connected to your usb host controller, how do you find out which usb host controller as I have 2 in my device manager.

Thanks in advance.

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I can answer to that: you can switch the view in menu in Device Manager from "devices by type" to "devices by connection" - that will give you the controller where DAC is connected; then you open the properties dialog of that controller and see the IRQ number at Resources tab - that will give you the reference to the same controller in MSI utility list.

akbaar likes this.

16. KWSW

KWSW New Member

Found it, thank you.

17. alexander1986

alexander1986 Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    just quoted this randomly to message you directly, mbk I was looking into msi mode today and enabled my gtx 1060 in msimode successfully, have not done much testing yet because I also wish to put my mouse/usb port in msi mode, I wonder if its possible with 3.0 ports or only with 1.1/2.0 ports?

at the moment it seems my 1.1/2.0 ports have some issue where they dont work in windows but work fine in bios, so have mouse and keyboard connected to the blue 3.0 ports.. is this bad or no difference in responsiveness vs 1.1/2.0 if you know also? thanks !

edit: nevermind about usb in msi mode, usb 3.0 controller is already running in msi mode after some checking, still, do you think its any point trying to set it to non-msi mode to see if it changes mousefeeling to better/worse? is MSI mode always preferred?

would also be very much appreciated to to know if its worth setting usb/gfx/network/sound to high interrupt priority in your tool msi mode utility v2? at the moment sata controller is already put to high there when I check and was so by default, those 5 devices are the only ones listed there btw, gfx/nic/sound/sata/usb if that matters, thanks a lot in advance !

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  18. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    With MSI mode V2 open, look at column-supported modes if line-based is all that is listed, then MSI mode is not supported.

You can check as mentioned above by device as connected in the device manager.

alexander1986 likes this.
  19. alexander1986

alexander1986 Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    ah I see, doing it manually for now by finding the device instance paths in registry,have restore points setup before every change also so think I should be fine? anyway it seems my realtek integrated NIC and asmedia usb 3.0 controller are already in MSI mode, as they both have the MSISupported set to 1 and have a negative number in device manager, my gfx card now also has the negative number after I added the MSISupported 1 to it in registry as it didnt before have the negative number,

so my gfx card, network and usb 3.0 are now in msi mode as far as I can tell, my only questions are now I guess is it worth trying to put my pci soundcard (creative audigy) in msi mode or would there not be any gains from it you think?

and would it be any point changing usb 3.0 to non-msi mode to see if it changes mouse feeling for better/worse? or is MSI mode *always* preferred to non-msi mode?

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    @alexander1986

You can use "@" with the user name to attract him to your post.

MSI mode is the native mode for PCIe devices. So in general it is better to try and switch to MSI mode if device is reported to support it. But the only way to be sure is to try. Since this tweak is easy to revert you can also try with your USB3 controllers (USB v2 and v1 seem to not support MSI mode).
    Theoretically switching from MSI mode to the legacy one you increase the work for the CPU, you lengthen the ISR interrupt stage. But it can be that MSI mode implementation in drivers is flawed, and in such case the legacy mode works better. Try and test it. (And do not forget to reboot.)

PS Btw, have you found "useplatformclock" info?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    akbaar and alexander1986 like this.