Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts ...

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. tfam26

tfam26 Active Member

GPU:
    Gaming X GTX 1080
    Been using this utility for awhile to throw my GPU into MSI mode after driver updates for the hell of it, not sure if there is any decreased DPC latency or anything but I've never experienced any issues whatsoever using the utility.

I did however change the "limit" value with the new V2 utility on my NIC (1218-V) from 1 to 5 and it could be placebo but my connection seems "snappier" while browsing... obviously ping and connection are the same it just seems to respond slightly faster.

Have not had the stones to try switching something like my AHCI controller and probably won't as everything is running great already unless someone finds a better way to determine proper values for such things without breaking systems.

Thanks for V2 either way; great to have more options and learn something new in the process.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970
    MessageNumberLimit value is so intrinsic/internal thing to device and its drivers. And some devices (and their drivers) will just ignore this value. If you don`t see several entries for one device but with different IRQ (negative) then I suppose device and drivers just ignore it.

Of course I made this version specially for Kulagin. Without the proper tests all this fidgeting with MessageNumberLimit is pointless.

And do not forget to write down the default value of MessageNumberLimit somewhere because this is value suggested by OEM.

We can assume that for network cards MessageNumberLimit can specify how many CPU cores are used in handling interrupts (one core per IRQ). So you can try to set it according to your rig.

As for SATA controller on my rig (default driver of Win10, C600 controller in AHCI mode) it has its MessageNumberLimit set to 8 iirc (will check at home - update: confirmed).

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  3. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan X Sli
    Tried this on my pc, strange thing is it seems to slow down the pc, startup programs take longer to open when the computer starts, some usb devices take longer to load. Any idea why this would happen?

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970
    Specify your OS, which devices you tweaked into MSI mode (and what drivers they use).
    But I don`t remember if any gurus reported slowdown. There were gurus with BSODs and with not working sound cards from Creative.

5. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan X Sli
    Using an old x58 based (ASUS P6B Deluxe) motherboard, so the drivers are basically the default drivers that Windows 10 provides (using 15063.503). I am using the latest beta NVidia display drivers. I switched everything back to the default settings using system restore, and then only set my 2 graphics cards to use MSi mode. Computer seems to be responsive again, but when i modified the other PCI devices things got slow. I had to reinstall the Marvell drivers for some of the on-board connectors, but something was making usb devices slow to start. My Razer mouse would not start, had to unplug and refit for it to work on each reboot, my Microsoft Sidewinder keyboard would also not initially load, so I had to wait before I could log on.

I used the msi utility provided in this thread to make the changes.

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970
    Am I correct assuming that you can`t get rid of slowdown just switching devices back from MSI mode to legacy one?
    Well, USB2 controllers do not utilize MSI mode, so you can skip them. If you have spare time and nerd/geek itching you can narrow the culprit device by switching devices into MSI mode one by one.

7. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan X Sli
    The slow down seems to be gone switching back to legacy mode, being an engineer I like to fiddle, so I will probably do some more troubleshooting.

The pci sound blaster x-fi also seems to have issues with msi mode, the hardware is found I can test the hardware, but no sound is played. When I play, I see its connecting to my amp, but no sound, strange

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970
    How is your fiddling?

Hey, I did not notice this thread was pinned. It`s a honour.

akbaar and tfam26 like this.
  9. tfam26

tfam26 Active Member

GPU:
    Gaming X GTX 1080
    As an amateur user I usually learn a thing or two just by visiting most of your threads even if the topic or tools you release aren't relevant to my situation. I'd say it makes sense.

10. gfonfim

gfonfim New Member

GPU:
    GEFORCE GT650M/1GB
    Thanks for save my pc, in role internet, you are the one with the solution. Although ndis.sys was showing DPC higher than 500.000,00 us latency, it seems that the solution was turning on MSI for "High Definition Audio Controller". Now ndis.sys DPC is only 3000 us latency.

i was for years looking for any solution.
    Thanks!

akbaar likes this.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970
    Cool! Probably these two devices did share IRQ. Good to hear about solved problem.

12. PanosXidis

PanosXidis New Member

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti SLI
    Hello thanks for this theard! i have this [​IMG]

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970
    Welcome. If it was you who checked MSI mode for devices "USB Enhanced Controller #" and "USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller" than you can uncheck them because only USB3+ controllers work in MSI mode, USB2 ones just ignore it.

akbaar likes this.
  14. PanosXidis

PanosXidis New Member

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti SLI
    sorry my english litle bad!:p msi mode he is faster my card running better smoothing!my HDD drivers has better write and read :D

akbaar likes this.
  15. PanosXidis

PanosXidis New Member

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti SLI
    My specs is Asus Rampage V X99
    i7 5960x 8cores
    2x 980ti sli
    32gb ram!

16. PanosXidis

PanosXidis New Member

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti SLI
    mbk1969

I have them right?? we have benchmarks? :p

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970
    Yes, you have them right. I don`t think you will notice effects of MSI mode in benchmarks.

18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    My TP-Link WiFi card works in MSI mode.

19. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 +110/+500 H20
    Is there any benefits in changing the limit on each device??

Here is mine, I changed my AMD SATA, GPU, and HD Audio to MSI mode but some of the devices don't have a limit value set.

[​IMG]

20. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+RX580 8GB OC
    Tried changing it for my AMD AHCI SATA RAID controller did a reboot and it still uses an positive IRQ number
    mind you it fairly old now SB950 south bridge chip-set on an Asus Crosshair V Formula mobo and the last driver for it was years old

Oh thanks for the MSI Utility V.2 but it doesn't show anything just a blank window
    Never mind figured it out turn out I needed to right click and choose run as admin

so ran it and the only thing that didn't like the change was the SB XFI Fatality sound card
    it wouldn't produce any audio changed it back rebooted and all is good again
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017