Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. Guru3Dmember

Guru3Dmember New Member

GPU:
    6Gb
    I'm curios. In Device manager View/Resources by type/Interrupt request (IRQ) I have 8 PCI Express Root Port's listed from (-2) to (-9) I thought items listed with a "-" dash symbol were in MSI mode. When running MSI util v2 the PCI Express ports are listed but the msi check-box for each is not "checked" Are they or are they not in MSI mode?

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    If device utilises negative IRQ number then device works in MSI mode. Checkbox in utility is about registry value "MSISupported": value can be set to "1" - checked, value can be set to "0" - unchecked, value can be absent - unchecked.

PS Some devices ignore "MSISupported" and always work in MSI mode. Some devices ignore "MSISupported" and always work in legacy mode

Guru3Dmember likes this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    PCIE Root devices and controllers do not require the driver switch because they are natively always operating in message signalled mode.

4. relski

relski New Member

GPU:
    rx 470
    So i've got some new pc parts and i want to improve my pc performance, im on msi h67ma-e45 mobo with i5 3330, rx470 graphics card, 2x4gb ram, 1 500gb hdd and im using mouse and keyboard for usb ports, occasionaly usb flash drive to install new system.
    What should i do here to improve it, i see many irq conflicts, what devices are safe to disable here and what should i put into msi mode?
    [​IMG]

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    @relski

Is it Windows 7?

You can try to install Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) drivers from here
    https://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-System-Tools.html
    (look for section "D4. Old Intel MEI Driver Only")

If it is Windows 7 you can try to install SATA controller drivers from here
    https://www.win-raid.com/t2f23-Intel-RST-RSTe-Drivers-latest-v-WHQL-v-WHQL.html
    (look for section "B. Intel RST(e) Drivers from v11.5 up and their RST(e) Software:" and drivers "Latest/best Intel RST(e) drivers from the v11 platform:")

Also you can try to switch all "PCI Express Root Port" to MSI mode.

relski likes this.
  6. relski

relski New Member

GPU:
    rx 470
    yes, it is windows 7 64bit

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  7. lennartkoi

lennartkoi New Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    Hey @mbk1969 you seem to know a lot about this stuff. I dont wanna bother you but i have problems with my pc and I need help.
    I had stuttering and input lag in games and toyed around a bit with these settings and msi mode on my gpu seemed to have fixed the problem. I later enabled Intel management engine msi mode and the usb controller msi mode. Long story short I reset my pc and now these settings seem to be on now the first time I started the programm. Could you tell me for which Devices I could enable MSI mode ? I tested it with everything. System boots up and everything seems fine. But i dont know if the performance is better. Should I leave it like this ?
    Thank you so much.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    You can switch both High Definition Audio Controllers to MSI mode. They are not devices required for OS boot, so if any of them starts to glitch in MSI mode you can always revert it back to legacy mode.
    I wrote that from general point of view - any PCI-E device (and its drivers) should work a bit better in MSI mode. But if you notice some strange behaviour or performance degradation with device in MSI mode you can always revert it back to legacy mode.

9. lennartkoi

lennartkoi New Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    Ok. Thank you and what about Intel management engine and usb controller ? I have a z390 board

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Judging by the screenshot you posted both these devices already work in MSI mode.

11. lennartkoi

lennartkoi New Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    I actualy have a problem now. I always got stuttering and I didnt know why. I played around with these settings a lot now. And now i seem to know why but dont know how to fix it. As you can see in the screenshot my hd audio controller and my intel ethernet share an IRQ. (ignore the irq 17 one thats nvidia. disabled the other one in device manager). Both ethernet and Realtek audio are onboard.
    When I disable High definition audio controller. My games dont stutter anymore. So i thought well lets just turn on msi for the audio controller and boom i get stuttering.
    ok then I thought what about the Intel ethernet. Well then i get stuttering too. Intel said that Msi mode should be turned off for some of their ethernet adapters. https://www.intel.de/content/www/de/de/support/articles/000017506/network-and-i-o.html (german)

is there any way I can change the IRQ so they dont share them ?

Attached Files:

• ffs.png
      ffs.png
      File size:
      36.9 KB
      Views:
  12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
  13. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Question regarding the "limit" and "max limit" sections:

I've never played around with the values on these, any negatives or positives to emptying all boxes under limit and max limit so that they default to "no limit".

Are there devices that these values shouldn't be altered with for example? Or which ones are safe to change to no limit?

Thank you in advance.

Edit: forgot to add the picture.

https://i.imgur.com/LvblIie.png

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    To my understanding your rig has no a single device which utilizes multiple IRQs. So there is nothing to limit.

Blackfyre likes this.
  15. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    So there is no harm or positives to be gained from emptying both "limit" and "max limit" columns?

Can I do it for testing purposes? And any way to reverting the changes for example in Safe Mode if anything goes wrong? Or if something goes wrong, then I have to format?

EDIT: Sorry, max limit is not changeable. Disregard my entire question above.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Of course you can test the "limit" value. Though I believe that this value starts to play when device is capable (and wants) to use several IRQs at once.

To revert you should remember the initial state of the limit, and after you done testing you enter the initial value (or "0" or erase the cell empty if it was empty) and hit "Apply" button and reboot.
    I do not think you can render device not working by limiting the IRQs, but (anyway) the danger lies only in boot devices - SATA/RAID/NVMe controllers and video card.

Blackfyre likes this.
  17. narukun

narukun Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 1561/7700
    Hi @mbk1969 excuse me for being ignorant but I'm curious, what would be the direct advantage of using MSI for the GPU for example?

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    You can guess that the subject was discussed here a few times. I understand that you don`t want to waste your time flicking through pages of the thread, I hope you will understand that I am lazy to write that down (again), so I will post a link instead (also I doubt I can phrase it better than there)
    https://www.intel.co.za/content/dam...hite-papers/msg-signaled-interrupts-paper.pdf
    (short answer is right at the first page, but I urge you to read through the document because I find it interesting).

narukun likes this.
  19. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Hi, looking at your pic you have set all devices to high interrupt priority, If I am not wrong that setting works just like CPU priority, so having all high makes non of the devices any higher than another. Might just as well leave it all stock.

Blackfyre likes this.
  20. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I shouldn't have one higher than others should I? Yeah I am aware it's the same as leaving them unchanged. Main objective was to switch what was switchable to MSI mode.

I can't really prioritise them, like what's more important? GPU or LAN? Or soundcard, etc?

Does one of them benefit more from being high priority? For example if the ethernet connection was on high while the rest were on normal? Would that decrease latency for the internet?