Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. Guru3Dmember

Guru3Dmember New Member

GPU:
    6Gb
    I'm curios. In Device manager View/Resources by type/Interrupt request (IRQ) I have 8 PCI Express Root Port's listed from (-2) to (-9) I thought items listed with a "-" dash symbol were in MSI mode. When running MSI util v2 the PCI Express ports are listed but the msi check-box for each is not "checked" Are they or are they not in MSI mode?

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    If device utilises negative IRQ number then device works in MSI mode. Checkbox in utility is about registry value "MSISupported": value can be set to "1" - checked, value can be set to "0" - unchecked, value can be absent - unchecked.

PS Some devices ignore "MSISupported" and always work in MSI mode. Some devices ignore "MSISupported" and always work in legacy mode

Guru3Dmember likes this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    PCIE Root devices and controllers do not require the driver switch because they are natively always operating in message signalled mode.

4. relski

relski New Member

GPU:
    rx 470
    So i've got some new pc parts and i want to improve my pc performance, im on msi h67ma-e45 mobo with i5 3330, rx470 graphics card, 2x4gb ram, 1 500gb hdd and im using mouse and keyboard for usb ports, occasionaly usb flash drive to install new system.
    What should i do here to improve it, i see many irq conflicts, what devices are safe to disable here and what should i put into msi mode?
    [​IMG]

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    @relski

Is it Windows 7?

You can try to install Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) drivers from here
    https://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-System-Tools.html
    (look for section "D4. Old Intel MEI Driver Only")

If it is Windows 7 you can try to install SATA controller drivers from here
    https://www.win-raid.com/t2f23-Intel-RST-RSTe-Drivers-latest-v-WHQL-v-WHQL.html
    (look for section "B. Intel RST(e) Drivers from v11.5 up and their RST(e) Software:" and drivers "Latest/best Intel RST(e) drivers from the v11 platform:")

Also you can try to switch all "PCI Express Root Port" to MSI mode.

relski likes this.
  6. relski

relski New Member

GPU:
    rx 470
    yes, it is windows 7 64bit

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020 at 1:21 AM
  7. lennartkoi

lennartkoi New Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    Hey @mbk1969 you seem to know a lot about this stuff. I dont wanna bother you but i have problems with my pc and I need help.
    I had stuttering and input lag in games and toyed around a bit with these settings and msi mode on my gpu seemed to have fixed the problem. I later enabled Intel management engine msi mode and the usb controller msi mode. Long story short I reset my pc and now these settings seem to be on now the first time I started the programm. Could you tell me for which Devices I could enable MSI mode ? I tested it with everything. System boots up and everything seems fine. But i dont know if the performance is better. Should I leave it like this ?
    Thank you so much.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020 at 6:43 PM
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    You can switch both High Definition Audio Controllers to MSI mode. They are not devices required for OS boot, so if any of them starts to glitch in MSI mode you can always revert it back to legacy mode.
    I wrote that from general point of view - any PCI-E device (and its drivers) should work a bit better in MSI mode. But if you notice some strange behaviour or performance degradation with device in MSI mode you can always revert it back to legacy mode.

9. lennartkoi

lennartkoi New Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    Ok. Thank you and what about Intel management engine and usb controller ? I have a z390 board

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Judging by the screenshot you posted both these devices already work in MSI mode.