Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. itpro

itpro Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    Usually it resets after a windows update. Do you believe is it wise to re-enable msi mode despite not causing any issues each one time? Or enable 'em all only once after format and don't look back?

2. Ghostboy

Ghostboy New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    You mean NIC settings? If yes, i tried already different options. Still the same. Usually i have 70-95ms ping. About CPU, im using 7700k as 4.5 ghz with 1.248v which is kinda default for it, i tried even w/o turbo(so cpu worked as 4.2 and 1.12v(lower possible voltage). And nothing changed too. Also tried different ISP what possible to my house. PSU is great too. Problem in one minor thing i guess, cause it happens only when im playing online(at offline maps/practice modes everything is perfect). My connection is 300/300mb fibre. Hope you can prompt, cause im literally give up already.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    https://www.speedguide.net/articles/windows-8-2012-server-tcpip-tweaks-5077

https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Nothing resets after windows update on my rig. Only NVIDIA drivers installation reverts GPU drivers to legacy mode.

If your rig has no issues then enabling or not MSI mode is completely optional thing.

Smough and itpro like this.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Your solution goes against all intelligent discussion on the subject.

GSDragoon and toyo like this.
  6. Ghostboy

Ghostboy New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
  7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    There are tweaks there about NIC itself, about QoS.

May be your NIC requires certain version of drivers.
    You can create dedicated thread with the question for help. People who play multiplay games could help you.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  8. EnthusiastX

EnthusiastX Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER
    Thank you for such an informative post! I was curious whether I should pay more attention to the overall latency or type of interrupts. For example, if I force all enabled/active devices to use non-MSI IRQ interrupts, then my RTX 2070 SUPER is assigned the same IRQ as ASUS Xonar DGX. In the past, GPU and audio card sharing the same IRQ was considered bad idea.

On my ASUS Hero X WiFi motherboard, If I enable MSI for all devices, then ASUS Xonar DGX is left as the only non-compliant device that cannot use MSI. However, ASUS Xonar DGX low-latency UNi drivers are excellent and with the mentioned setup (all devices use MSI, except for ASUS Xonar DGX), my overall latency is as low as I have ever seen. LatencyMon fluctuates between 7-20ms 80-90% of the time and that's with MSI AB and RTSS running in the background.

I can only have an all-MSI setup if I disable ASUS Xonar DGX and enable onboard Realtek Audio Codec. If I do that, overall latency fluctuate significantly more than with ASUS Xonar DGX and if IRQ interrupt is forced onto Realtek audio, it does not share the same IRQ as RTX 2070 SUPER.

9. empleat

empleat Member

GPU:
    geforce 780
    Nvidia dev said directly to me, that msi is specified in its drivers programming. That settings in registry are put only for older devices, which would crap out otherwise,. I also saw interesting discussion on reddit about it, some nvidia inf file already puts msi support into registry for gpu. I am guessing depending on device you are installing. Also people on that thread had all different opinions and i don't know what to believe. But i don't put msi support for gpu into registry anymore, it feels like there is less input lag with msi on, but mouse feels less consistent i think. Also why msi_util2 says gpu support only msi, gpu should support msi-x. I don't think nvidia dev would lie, or didn't know what he is talking about but don't know. He said it is not needed. I have already very low dpc latency on my new asus Z390 Gaming-i low dpc latency mobo, so i don't care as much.

Also not sure about putting sound card into msi mode, usually devices, which support it put themselves into it automatically and i can't tell difference measuring with latencymon. Do you put sound card into msi mode ?

Also probably gonna set up interrupt affinity, different drivers per cores for parallel processing and gonna test that out using latencymon, but not multiple cores for one driver, that creates cache problem and it is not recommended.

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    We know that NVIDIA drivers support MSI mode because we can turn it on. But old versions inf-files just did not turn MSI mode on upon installation. I just went and check inf-file of 445.87 version and it looks like MSI mode should be turned on in it.

MSI-X mode is not (magical) boost over the simple MSI:
    Namely network and storage controllers (of server target) can benefit from MSI-X.

My Realtek onboard audio controller works in MSI mode by default (and always did).

11. empleat

empleat Member

GPU:
    geforce 780
    I don't know, but Nvidia dev said directly to me, that you don't have to turn that on in registry. That it is specified in Nvidia drivers programing. So you saying he is wrong ? I honestly don't know what to believe at this point... Oh btw i have 445.87 and it wasn't turned on by default on my Geforce 2070 super.

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Some devices work in MSI mode despite what is set in registry. Some devices work in legacy mode despite what is set in registry. Other devices can be set to MSI or legacy mode by the setting in registry.

Which contradicts to what NV dev says to you - do you believe your own eyes?
    I just discovered a section in inf-file which turns the MSI mode in registry. I have not checked whether that section is used during installation.

Developers in big company (like NVIDIA) can belong to different teams. So your dev (assuming he is not a fake) can belong to driver team and he knows about compatibility with MSI mode, but he does not know the final result of installation (because devs in release team changed the default mode in inf-file, for example).

13. empleat

empleat Member

GPU:
    geforce 780
    Well i saw him on forums multiple times he is dev right, he has dev thing under his name. But yeah, they don't usually even answer directly, because having to respond to many posts etc. It is strange, that in device manager also device has positive IRQ. But i don't know how it works. Not sure if device manager is fool proof. Who knows really.

But i must say with msi mode on for gpu, there is a lot of less input lag. It probably better than with off. I wasn't sure, when i was on my old computer, because my main lcd died and i was on VA panel. But now i think it is definitely smoother with msi on and less input lag. You are probably right with Nvidia, because if it was on by default:
    1. so home come when you switch that on in registry there is less input lag
    2. why positive IRQ in device manager changes to negative, if it was in msi mode by default

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its not, Section011.HW is not connected to anything.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    In driver nvcpl it says it doesnt use any IRQ aka msi mode, but in msi utility it still shows as using IRQ..

Maybe that's what that nv guy meant.

16. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    NOTHING resets after Windows update. Any tweaks, changes or modifications you've done to your O.S will always remain. If its broken somehow, no amount of updates can save it. To reset any changes you've made, you must write them down and remember what were the changes you made. As for O.S corruption itself, you have to use DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth first, then executesfc /scannow. That solves O.S corruption, however, it won't change your drivers from MSI Mode to normal mode, that can only be done with mbk's tool or by manipulating the registry itself.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    itpro likes this.
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Think he means service update, like as in 1909 to 2004.

itpro likes this.
  18. itpro

itpro Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    This. Sometimes, we confuse partial update with version upgrade by thinking the same thing in our head. It happened for real when OS build jumped in my rig.

19. tamniche

tamniche New Member

GPU:
    GeForceĀ® GT 730 1GB
    hello can you do msi mode on gt730?

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    You can if utility "MSI" is listed in "supported modes" column.