Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    @Gedza91

1. Do not install full Intel RST software package.
    2. Do not proceed when you see that warning.

Try v10.1.0.1008 then... On a second thought better stay with default Win10 drivers.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Gedza91 likes this.
  2. Gedza91

Gedza91 Member

GPU:
    Gtx 750 Ti 2GB
    Thanks for the quality responds. What you think about disabling IRQ 19 from device manager? And what about 23 IRQ? I got 6 usb ports,and i need one for mouse,and maybe 1 for joystick.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Go to Device Manager, switch view to "Devices by connection", find USB controller with given IRQ ("resources" tab) and disable it if no devices (keyboard, mouse) is connected. Be aware that your motherboard has a plenty of USB v1 controllers and one USB v2 controller. You should prefer USB v2 ports. But of course it is no big deal for keyboard and mouse to be connected to USB v1 ports.
    Same actions can be done with USB controller at IRQ 23.

Gedza91 likes this.
  4. Gedza91

Gedza91 Member

GPU:
    Gtx 750 Ti 2GB
    IRQ Conflict has fixed. But audio stuttering is still here,hm...its quite interresting how those things works...Its a really big mess (atleast for me xD ) So do you have any advice for MSI tool,should i put for example Gpu in High Priority? I got bigger GPU usage then before,i mean,before this problem with audio problem and all of that.

Attached Files:

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    You disabled not USB v1 controller with IRQ 23 but USB v2 controller with IRQ 23.
    Setting GPU`s interrupt priority to High will not help with audio stuttering. What audio controller do you use, btw? NVIDIA or integrated one?

Also I see that Atheros Ethernet controller does not work in MSI mode despite the setting and reported capability. Have you searched for its drivers?

6. Gedza91

Gedza91 Member

GPU:
    Gtx 750 Ti 2GB
    O was disable IRQ 19 and 23,thats what cause IRQ conflicts. Correct me if im wrong. Im using onboard sound card,Via HD audio drivers,and that drivers also cause sound cracking,both on youtube full hd,and gaming.I was try different drivers version,both from MSI site (motherboard site),and custom drivers from net. I know im low specs pc,but before lastest windows update i wasnt have that prob. I was trying to uninstall those updates but thats not resolve the prob.
    For Atheros Ethernet driver,im using newest one from their site (2013).
    Im thinking about your suggestion,pci usb card 3.0 (i think you named like that this additional device) for resolving this problem with sound.

7. Marctraider

Marctraider Member

GPU:
    670GTX
    I actually found the first benefit of enabling MSI mode on my Realtek audio; When switching GPU clocks with MSI Afterburner through different profiles, audio distorts slightly each time. Enabling MSI fixes that! :O

Gedza91 likes this.
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Your rig had two controllers at IRQ 23 - USB v1 and USB v2. You disabled USB v2 controller. This is strange decision - if your rig has USB2 ports (at the back or front) then I deduce that you do not use them at all. It doesn`t matter for keyboard and mouse, but it does matter for USB storage devices - USB2 speeds are much higher than USB1.

Motherboard in your rig uses VIA soundcard? I would suggest for you to buy PCI-E soundcard of normal quality.
    https://www.avadirect.com/PCI-Internal-Sound-Cards
    - good choice of sub 50$ cards

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    Gedza91 likes this.
  9. n1kobg

n1kobg New Member

GPU:
    GTX98Ti
    Uhm, Im aware of that. I know thats registry value and can be changed. My question was if you set higher value in "Limit" than whats in "Max Limit"-is that changes anything in terms of latency or performance? Im asking because I have an argument with a girl that sets everything in "limit"" to 255 and tells to people that it lowers the latency. As far as Im aware you cannot set a higher value than whats already set in the driver. So your answer tells me that I am correct? Please confirm one more time. Also what you mean by "of allowed range". And "When device uses multiple MSIs you see multiple IRQs allocated for that device in Device Manager" You mean in Device Manager in Resources Tab or somewhere else?

10. disq

disq Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    When trying to open this tool with two left mouse clicks i get this error:

Untitled.png

Is it possible to make it request Admin prompt right away instead of having to right click and use "Run as Administrator"?

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    1. Ask her why namely "255". If device reports "Msi" mode then maximum limit is 32, if device reports "MsiX" mode then maximum limit is 2048 - those limits are set by PCI-Express bus specification.
    Also ask her how she measures the latency.

2. There is no sense in setting the limit value higher than max limit (reported by device). What happens when user sets the limit value higher than maximum limit reported by device? I don`t know. Such "illegal" value (1) can be ignored or (2) can be clipped to maximum limit supported by device or (3) can be clipped to maximum limit supported by PCI-Express bus.

3. There is no sense in setting the limit value when device uses only one IRQ - in Device Manager change the view to "Resources by type" to see how many IRQs assigned to each device. This value - limit - allows to limit the number of used IRQs. So when device uses only one IRQ there is nothing to limit. Not all devices are developed to use multiple IRQs.
    Remember that one negative IRQ represents one Message Signalled Interrupt - MSI. One positive IRQ represents one legacy Line Based Interrupt.

4. Allowed range for registry value of DWORD type is from 0 to 4294967295.

It is possible, but I chose to not do that to protect users who do not understand what they are doing.

disq likes this.
  12. n1kobg

n1kobg New Member

GPU:
    GTX98Ti
    Yes Im aware. She uses Latency Monitor. Actually when i read what she said again I see she agrees with me for the most part but she also says this: "while setting the limit to 255 or anything above 32 removes the hard limit of 32 in case the device supports more, vendors usually do that by setting it (for example SATA Controllers usually have 60 or 80 messages declared)" Also the NIC benefits a lot from more than 1 message & that value of 4 lowers DPC latency of ndis.sys. My point was about the Network Adapter & GPU & that higher value than the hard limit wont work. Another question: "one negative IRQ represents one Message Signalled Interrupt" Are you talking about the negative number in IRQ tab? For ex. if my GPU shows -16 when enable MSI, and before that was 16.
    [​IMG]

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    One "message" = one IRQ. Two "messages" = two IRQs. ... 32 "messages" = 32 IRQs. ...
    If you see only ONE IRQ for device then such device uses only ONE "message".

PS I mean the talk about limit is only relevant when there is device which uses multiple IRQs.

14. n1kobg

n1kobg New Member

GPU:
    GTX98Ti
    Ok, thank you, I thought you might have more insight info. And sry for the last question, I realize it was stupid :D I cant see any conclusive data with LatencyMon. It within the usual variation.

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Only people who have insight info are device drivers programmers and OS kernel programmers.

Network and storage controllers can benefit from multiple MSIs but only in server scenarios (and Operating Systems) - servicing thousands of requests from clients. Home computers do not need such optimisation. If you have device which implements multiple MSIs this is a matter of thorough testing. And the limit setting can be used to test all values (starting with 1).

n1kobg likes this.

16. n1kobg

n1kobg New Member

GPU:
    GTX98Ti
    Yes, you dont need more MSIs in gaming, it will only increase the throughput & might increase the latency because the driver will be forced to wait to gather them. This is actually the main feature that separates servers from gaming along with power consumption. Servers need more throughput & dont care about latency while in online gaming the packets are just a few kb & you need them as fast as possible.

17. Nastya

Nastya Member Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    That's a blanket statement and inaccurate.

18. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    A statement based on guess, zero proof. At least give us a benchmark or something...

19. felicityc

felicityc New Member

GPU:
    2070 Super
    n1ko you gotta ditch that place I'm tellin ya

she's all over the place

Smough likes this.
  20. Gedza91

Gedza91 Member

GPU:
    Gtx 750 Ti 2GB
    Guys...the problem what i got with Cpu,Gpu,Audio stuttering on Youtube and games,and oveall slow pc...The problem was solved by adjusting Virtual Pagging file...now Audio works perfect,youtube works on 1440p,Game never feel more fluid then now xD But...wtf was this bug for god sake. If anyone got audio problem,and overall gaming problem,just try this method. Mine problem was gone. I tried 100 methods,changing bios settibgs,windows settings,overcloxking ram,cpu,gpu,changing cables,ports...Poblem never solved for me...so idk what to say abot this problem,what you think about this mess? XD tnx for all ypur supports guys,and making your effort for helping other people.

fluidz likes this.