Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. Delt@

Delt@ New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2G
    Is it possible to change the IRQ of my EMU audio card?
    If not, can I change the IRQ of other devices that use 16?
    Will changing the interrupt priority of EMU audio card to high help the latency?

[​IMG]

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    You can safely switch both GeForce GTX 960 and High Definition Audio Controller to MSI mode.
    But also it is safe to try and switch E-MU card because if it will fail to work in MSI mode you can always switch it back.

As for interrupt priority, try it.

Delt@ likes this.
  3. nullryo

nullryo New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    Hey, sorry for being clueless but I really don't know what I'm doing here, just trying to solve my horrible DPC latency issues. Heres the settings I have now, the IRQ numbers seem really high idk if thats an issue. Is there anything wrong with these settings that you can see? Or anything I should change. Thanks for still responding to people in this thread btw![​IMG]

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Just turn MSI mode On for both audio controllers and for GTX 1070. (Be aware that every install of NVIDIA drivers reverts card back to legacy mode.)
    If you want to troubleshoot latencies with us use this method
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/simple-way-to-trace-dpcs-and-isrs.423884/
    and post text report here (between {code} tags).

5. nullryo

nullryo New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    Thanks, and what actually is the effect of the "interrupt priority" value?

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    The higher priority the less concurrency with interrupts from another devices. But if you will set all devices to high priority the concurrency will remain the same. So choose wisely. I have not noticed any difference, but some gurus stated increased responsiveness of the mouse after they set USB controller to high priority.

7. Risedo

Risedo New Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX-GTX970
    excuse me I change ehci to msi mode but irq still stay 23 (not -XX)

mean msi not enable?

https://i.imgur.com/OJ2foAI.png
    --
    edit: I see "Theoretically if device driver (and platform = chipset) unable to perform in MSI-mode it should ignore mentioned subkey and value. But who knows..."

maybe not work

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    USB v1 and v2 don't work in MSI mode.

9. Risedo

Risedo New Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX-GTX970
  10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Registry values in "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl" are not about devices. They are about the balance between priorities of foreground and background processes, about OS kernel scheduler policies.

11. Ripan_

Ripan_ Member

GPU:
    980ti
    Hi i have a Asus DGX right now and i want a soundcard that supports msimode. I have internal realtek but i would like to use a PCI-E soundcard.

Suggestions?

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    If you have a will to browse this thread from first pages you will find gurus` reports about sound cards working and not working in MSI mode. IIRC, mostly Creative ones had issues.

PS As a side note, integrated Realtek sound card is PCI-E one too. So I guess you mean just a sound card of better quality.

13. Ripan_

Ripan_ Member

GPU:
    980ti
    Ive heard that the intergrated soundcard gives inputlag.

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    You heard speculations about integrated soundcards.

15. Ripan_

Ripan_ Member

GPU:
    980ti
    Its wierd but when i went from USB 2.0 to 3.0(msi mode) i got 20 more fps in csgo fps test. Im thinking about trying the intergrated in msimode and see if i get simular results

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I use integrated soundcard but only S/PDIF output which I put to external DAC+HP_AMP combo.

17. Ripan_

Ripan_ Member

GPU:
    980ti

Well im only gonna use it for headphones and mic so im thinking about only installing drivers in devicem.

18. Ripan_

Ripan_ Member

GPU:
    980ti

I tried the intergrated and got alot more fps in benchmark. Went from 443 to 497. But i cant get the mic to work on my realtek and the drivers gives alot doc latency.

My best solution at this point is to use my monitor as soundcard (aoc 24g2u supports msimode it has the same name as realtek in devicem high definition sound) its wierd cuz on the aoc site it says that has i mic import but it doesnt see it in Windows. And then use my xonar just for mic.

The best solution would be if my mic on the intergrated would have worked but maybe if i connect front panel and plug it in there it would work. I think it has to do with a broken jack or a missconfigired detector in realtek. I have tried it all, when i went back to realtek i remembered that it was therefor i bought my xonar in the first place.

So either
    Sound: realtek Mic: frontpanel realtek
    Sound: Aoc24gu soundcard Mic: asus xonar

But im thinking since i got so much latency from my realtek its better with the monitor but also since the aoc had the same name as realtek(high definition sound it could maybe be fixed by deleting the drivers for my soundcard in monitor.

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    @Ripan_

The second sound card is not a monitor, but a videocard I guess. It sends sound to monitor via DisplayPort or HDMI.

20. Ripan_

Ripan_ Member

GPU:
    980ti

Ah okey but in devicem its ses it like a high definition audio. There are also speakers in the monitor. When i plug my headphones in the headphone jack of the monitor i get no sound but in the microphone jack of the monitor ido. Yes its DP.

But since i cant get the mic to work in the monitor i guess my best solution is to try if i can get the mic to work in front panel of my computer. Is it alot worse to use that rather than back?

Its really wierd that msimode isnt a bigger thing than it is since it makes such a huge difference. I went from 270 (just gpu in msi) fps in ulletical fps benchmark to 497,(all in msimode)
    Now i cant look back to using my soundcard as i dos before. My stutteting dispeared even though my realtek driver got alot of dpc count (8000-11000 in one minute) i need to fix it.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020