Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    does the high disk usage bug apply to SSHD?
    for me it seem like it does. because defragging the drive and trying to watch hulu in firefox and usage was at 100% with 0 write and 0 read at most 1mb/s and everything kept stop responding.

I used the msi mode utility and disable msi mode for both sata contollers and everything started responding and read and write went to 40mb/s-60mb/s. which is way better then before

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    sounds coincidental

3. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    Yeah.....

Started doing it again......... 100% disk usage with 0 write and read....

Lately system seems to be moody at least once a week....

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  4. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 2060 SUPER
    Do you have the latest AMD chipset driver installed?

5. toyo

toyo Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    I bought a 970 Evo Plus SSD and installed Samsung's driver for it (seems to be for a NVMe controller actually not the SSD itself), and it looks to change priority by itself to High in the app, also is the only device I have that uses MsiX.

I assume it's all natural and supposed to occur? I just use the app to shift the 1070ti to Msi mode after I install new drivers.

[​IMG]

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Yes.

MoKiChU and toyo like this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    sounds like superfetch tbh, its really aggressive in creators and later.

8. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    I have super fetch disable.

nothing was even running. no program was using the drive. but yet task manager show active time 100%, response time 99999.ms( it was really high)

read speed 0 mb/s and write speed 0 /mbs.

and nothing was responding.

and then all of a sudden everything goes back to normal and working.

Im backing up this drive and switching drives. use it as data instead of operating system.

I had a drive stop working couple months ago. and even though that drive was replaced. I swear the system still acts up once in a while....

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Disabling the superfetch windows service does not disable the Superfetch prefetcher.

10. empleat

empleat New Member

GPU:
    geforce 780
    Your program is reporting under my card only msi supported, instead msi-x, but i have pcie 3.0 card and i verified it is running in pcie 3.0 in gpuz. Maybe error in your program ?

EDIT:
    On nvidia they said regedit setting should be ignored for most devices and msi-x support is set in drivers programming, it sets 1 to regedit for devices which has barely msi support and wouldn't work otherwise.
    Strange tho after enabling msi, noticed less input lag and i can tell even small differences.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Version of PCI-E bus is irrelevant here. Both MSI modes ("msi" and "msi-x") were introduced back in old PCI bus era. All versions of PCI-E supports both modes, and device manufacturer should decide which MSI mode their device will utilise.

That statement is nonsense. If device shows negative IRQ number then it works in MSI mode (either "msi" or "msi-x"). If device shows positive IRQ number then it works in legacy mode. You can switch between these modes (for most of devices) by setting certain registry value (switching the mode namely for device driver).

PS On PCI-E bus the difference between MSI and legacy modes is not as drastic as it was for old PCI bus. Legacy mode is somewhat emulated on PCI-E bus, but that mode adds several additional steps on the path of interrupt and these additional steps sure increase interrupt latency.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    MoKiChU likes this.
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nvidia didn't say that at all

Way to misinterpret/misconstrue what was said.

What you were told is that the few DeviceInstall paths that include Addregs that enable MSI's are connected to nothing within the nvidia driver,

And that the MessageNumberLimit is not to force devices to use that many, but to limit devices that shouldn't use up to the total possible available as per the PCIE revision, which is why nvidia doesn't set them or need them set.

The driver will use as many as the driver knows how to up to the capabilities of hardware so long as it is operating in MSI mode.

13. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Hi mbk1969, In the context, that legacy mode has any connection to legacy mode vers UEIF in boot/bios modes?

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    No. Legacy and UEFI boot modes are just the ways for BIOS to "fire" the OS from the disks, and a ways for OS to utilise BIOS (data and code).

Legacy or MSI interrupt modes only come when OS is loaded enough to execute device drivers.

MoKiChU likes this.
  15. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Ok, Thanks, that is what I thought but better to make sure ;)

16. empleat

empleat New Member

GPU:
    geforce 780
    So you are saying nvidia mod saying nonsense. He told me that regedit setting is ignored for most devices. That msi-x is specified in nvidia driver programing. My gpu geforce 780 has by default positive irq number. Regedit setting should not matter at all.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/notifications/topic/19973/

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

Read

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    NVIDIA mod is not necessary a programmer from their driver team. Most probably he just misunderstands the questions related to "MSI vs legacy interrupt modes".
    Fact is - positive IRQ number means legacy mode for any PCI device, and negative IRQ number means MSI mode (or MSI-X mode).
    NVIDIA videocards work fine in MSI mode but inf-files in their driver bundles do not turn this MSI mode ON, so the cards work in legacy mode by default. Which is perfectly fine except for somewhat increased interrupt latency. And in case videocard working in legacy mode shares its IRQ with some other device interrupt latency increases further.

MoKiChU likes this.
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it wasn't an nvidia mod in the first place, it was me.

he pointed out that the driver has addregs that enable MSI's and i explained that they aren't referenced by any of the device.installs in the inf (excluding one that has no device id in the inf that is connected to it.)

mbk1969 likes this.
  20. kman

kman Member

GPU:
    1080ti Strix
    [​IMG] Should I start by just ticking the Msi checkbox just for the gpu?You said its fine to tick the High Definition audiocontrollers too but does it matter?Still fine if I just tick for the gpu?