Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Lol, you have it the other way around. Read the guide, negative numbers mean it's running in MSI mode. mbk is ironically right when he misunderstood you, those are the only devices in your screen-cap that are in MSI mode.

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Also, just tried applying MSI mode to my USB and SATA controllers. I blue screened. Had to learn how to reg load the registry from the recovery console and fix it from there (which was interesting).
    mbk, what did you do when you were doing trial-and-error? Did you really use windows recovery each time? Got to be a better way... because I'm pretty sure I can apply MSI mode to some of the controllers.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I`ve looked at the picture and can say, that at least your video-cards and SATA controller do not share IRQ with another devices. But your Marvell Yukon NIC does share IRQ (18) with USB controllers 3A44 and 3A3C. In case these particular USB controllers have some USB devices attached to them you better connect USB devices to another ports to try to avoid those USB controllers usage. If no devices connected to them USB controllers you can disable them in Device Manager to provide Marvell NIC with exclusive IRQ.

And line-mode of devices is no reason to bang the wall. It is normal mode but merely less optimal then message-mode.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Well, beeing a programmer in the company whose main product line is software for hard disk management, backup and restore, I just use bootable DVD with WinPE and our software to backup internal HDD to the external HDD. Imo this is the best protection against any possible damage.

But I was sure that if you fail to boot you always have boot option "last known good configuration"....

And once again - better try one device per attempt (attempt per device?).

5. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Isn't WinPE a lot like the recovery console?
    Problem is, I think the CurrentControlSet key is volatile, because when I used my method it did not exist. I had to change (aka, delete) the MessageSignaledInterruptProperties keys from the ControlSet001, ControlSet002, and ControlSet003 keys instead.

Doesn't "Last Known Good Configuration" just take you back to your most recent windows recovery backup that booted? I mean sure that would work, but even that is more annoying than using the recovery console.

Yeah, when I build up the nerve I'll give it another go another time.

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Not a console: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Preinstallation_Environment . I mean it has GUI and all that.

As for CurrentControlSet - it is namely a link to the one last known good key of ControlSetNNN keys.

Edit:
    Without "recovery backup" words. Every time Windows successfully started it creates a copy of ControlSetNNN key. And if you choose that boot option Wondows must discard its newest ControlSetNNN key and take previous one. Imo it is simple and quick.

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Yeah WinPE is very similar. Modern day recovery tool is pretty much a preinstallation environment.
    http://partition-recovery.com/images/Vista_Repair_2.jpg
    I used that last option there, and used regedit from cmd, gui works fine. Problem is, it loads its own registry hives. So I needed to load the system hive, make changes, and then unload it. Very annoying but at least it works, and I'm guessing since CurrentControlSet -I think- is made on startup it did not exist for me. Dose WinPE load the registry directly from your windows installation?

Because like I said, the key did not exist for me outside of windows, but the changes I made to the CurrentControlSet key while in windows must have been applied to the entries of the devices in the ControlSet001-3... if that makes sense...

Point is, it's annoying lol.

Regarding Last Known Good Configuration, I believe you. But for whatever reason I did not get that option. It wanted me to scan the whole windows installation for errors that could prevent startup (and thus ruining all the customization and visual tweaks I have).

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    No. And I don`t use WinPE to edit registry. In that you are more advanced user.
    Out of my pedantry and tediousness - CurrentControlSet is not real key, it is link to one of CurrentControlSetNNN keys.

Edit:
    Sounds like you are talking about recovery console stage. That "Last known" feature is at the previous stage of "F8" boot menu. I don`t know about Win8 though.

9. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Oh, alright, explains why the key did not show up.
    And I'm just lucky I had my girlfriends laptop to google how to load and unload registry hives from the recovery console. (without a disc).

edit: maybe that is what I am thinking. I remember Last Known Config showing up after a unsuccessful boot in the past, so I assumed that would not work for me and used F8 and chose "repair your computer" (which does not really scan anything, it's that recovery console picture I posted).

Alright, at least I have more options when I go at it again. Though, this kinda makes backing up the registry redundant.

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Do you feel growing accomplishment? You must...

11. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Oh I do. Oh... I do. Lol.

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Probably I should copy here a piece of "Windows internals" about that "Last known good configuration" feature intrinsics. For a troubleshoot info.

Edit: Done... Read at the OP.

13. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Or at least mention it in your guide in the first post, since making a backup of the registry is not very helpful if you can't boot anyway.

14. pipes

pipes Member Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4080 frostbite
    I can't change irq?
    The staticvector is irq?

15. pipes

pipes Member Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4080 frostbite
    3A44 is not a controller usb is pci port 3: Intel(R) ICH10 Family PCI Express Root Port 3 - 3A44

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You can change IRQ only by switching device to MSI-mode. I don`t know other ways. In old Windows user could change IRQ in device properties. But now all controls are disabled there. So if you can`t switch device to MSI-mode but have devices sharing the IRQ you can disable not used devices to avoid such sharing.

17. pipes

pipes Member Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4080 frostbite
    Understand!!!
    Thank you for your explanation :)

18. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    So I tried this method. This is the result so far:

[​IMG]

The ones not highlighted I didn't bother to change, should I?

19. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    This is the result for an I7 Z68 after enabling all PCI SubKeys with MSISupported.

Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

20. pipes

pipes Member Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4080 frostbite
    how u do to change all in not conflict?