Windows keeps restarting

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by techniques1200s, Mar 1, 2008.

1. techniques1200s

techniques1200s Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 270
    Every time I try to start my computer, it loads Windows, gets to the starting screen, and then right when the desktop would normally show up, it then restarts. It's a never ending cycle...

Is it driver issues, a virus?

My specs are as listed below, plus Windows XP home, SP2, and I have NOD32 for antivirus.

The chronology of events goes: some things started acting a little wierd. Computer is a little more slow than usual, my network adapter is listed as "disabled" even though I'm connected to the internet perfectly fine. Then suddenly my mouse stops working. Keyboard still works, but the mouse won't move. I swapped to a different mouse, and no luck, so I restarted, and that's when the whole boot/restart cycle began.
    I went into safe mode and did system restore, but no luck.

The last thing I did was tweak my network settings a couple days ago, to open some ports for faster downloading.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do?

2. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    Here is what I would try:

1.) Reset the BIOS.

2.) Run memtest86 to check the memory. Memory dumps are often main causes of restarts.

3.) Uninstall/Install your chipset drivers.

3.) If those three fail, then in safe mode start uninstalling different drivers (start with the network adapter).

I know those are not exactly much help, but there are many things that could be causing the problem.

3. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    It sounds like it's crashing, disable "Automatically restart" and see if you get a BSOD. If you do post the error, or better yet upload the crash dump.

I would probably do a scan for malware in safe mode, as you say it just started out of nowhere and the system slowed down.

Here is a malware example with system reboots.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894278

But im more inclined to think it's a driver issue, bad RAM or an unstable OC.

4. archie123

archie123 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    as has been said , if you can boot into safemode disable the "automaticaly restart" feature , its useless anyway , makes troubleshooting nigh on impossible

5. techniques1200s

techniques1200s Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 270
    I turned off automatic restart, and I got the blue screen of death right after windows loaded. Here's the error message I get:

STOP:0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0x8062D78E, 0XB62D4974, 0X00000000)

I guess I'll try memtest and see if it's my RAM...

6. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Stop 0x0000008E is fairly common, i can't say much without seeing the dump :)\WINDOWS\Minidump).

KB945658: General troubleshooting for an error message that you may receive randomly in Windows XP: "Stop 0x0000008E"
    kadaitcha: 0x0000008E

This KB though aimed at server 2003 mentions "the same Internet Protocol (IP) address is assigned to multiple network adapters" as a possible cause for the crash, and you did mention the network. Does your MB have two network adapters ? If so I would uninstall and reinstall the network cards and reset the TCP/IP settings.

XP is fully updated right ?

Error message when you try to open files on an NTFS file system volume on a Windows XP-based computer: "Stop 0x0000008E"

7. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    If it can load up in safe mode then more than likely your hardware is fine and you have a nasty virus; or you possibly lost power and your registry is screwed up. Just reinstall the os :) good luck

8. archie123

archie123 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    taken from microsoft help and support about STOP 0x0000008e

9. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Yes RAM is one possibility, but it's only one of many. Besides he already said he was going to test the RAM. Again if it's not the RAM i need to see the dump to say more.