Windows keeps disabling graphics driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by kerrikitty, May 17, 2021.

1. kerrikitty

kerrikitty Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX 6800
    I need Help, please.

GB x570 Gaming X - bought in AUG
    Ryzen 5 3600 - Bought in AUG
    AMD rx 6800 - bought in DEC
    32GB (2x16) corsair 3200mhz - bought in AUG
    EVGA supernova 750w PSU (bought 3 days ago)
    EVO 500GB SSD - bought in AUG
    3 monitors

Windows keep ERROR 22 ing me I come to my PC after I've gone to bed and I have to hard shut down and reboot PC and Windows has then disabled my Graphics Driver. I go into Device Manager, enable, disable, enable and then it's fine again.

I have done DDU for graphics, and done a fresh driver install directly from AMD, My BIOS is up to date, my ram is XMP Profile 1. and last ditch effort I replaced the power supply on Thursday.

Please help. This is driving me crazy. It's been happening since I put the Video Card in, in Dec. I also swapped PSU's with my kids computer the same day because I needed a PSU with a longer cord to power the CPU. Every time I change something it's good for 2 days and then it happens again where I come to my PC and all the screens are black and unresponsive.

Sleep/Hibernate are disabled.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    A pro measure - reinstall Windows? (And do not use DDU on daily/weekly basis.)

primetime^ likes this.
  3. Pictus

Pictus Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
    -Make sure the RAM is inserted in the proper slots
    [​IMG]

-Test the RAM/CPU integrity
    https://www.ocbase.com/

-Check the drives
    https://computing.which.co.uk/hc/en...-use-CHKDSK-Check-Disk-to-repair-a-hard-drive

-Check Windows for corruption
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-use-dism-repair-windows-10-image.html

-Make sure to use the latest chipset drivers
    https://www.techpowerup.com/download/amd-ryzen-chipset-drivers/

-Make sure the BIOS is updated (I know yours is)

In the BIOS:
    -Set PCIe to GEN3, not auto or GEN4
    -Disable Spread Spectrum
    -Enable ErP
    -Set Power Supply Idle Control = Typical Power Idle

IF all fails reinstall Windows from scratch...

4. kerrikitty

kerrikitty Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX 6800
    I've only used DDU once.
    Fresh install is my very last option, I have so many programs I don't want to have to find again.

5. kerrikitty

kerrikitty Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX 6800
    I've taken out ram, n64'd it and reinstalled it. Yes it's in A2 & B2 as the motherboard states.
    I've updated bios to the most recent version as per the gigabyte bios updater tool.
    I tried repairing windows 10 this morning.
    Had a faulty slave drive that I have removed a couple months ago, it only had documents on it.

I'll see if chipset is something I've done - if not then that's my last thing to update.

6. kerrikitty

kerrikitty Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX 6800

The video card slot on this motherboard is right beside the motherboard fan, and i can't push the card in any further but I'm slightly concerned that the card that the card very hardly clicked in because of the location of the fan (which is now basically blocked)

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Sounds to me like a possible cause, loose connection.

Hey do you have the graphics card in the top slot?
    Looks like the lower slot coincides with the fan:

[​IMG]

8. kerrikitty

kerrikitty Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX 6800
    Video card is MASSIVE. It covers most of the battery and half of the fan.
    yes, it's in the top (reinforced) slot.

9. kerrikitty

kerrikitty Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX 6800
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. SameOldx2

SameOldx2 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070
    Did you disable fast boot in windows power settings? You have to do that when installing new hardware.

11. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Are your monitors all the same?

12. kerrikitty

kerrikitty Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX 6800
    nope - all different and all are working fine and being recognized once i enable the video card.
    One is HDMI
    One is DP
    One is HMDI to DP
    GPU has 1 HDMI & 3 DP slots.

13. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    You said you come back to your PC after having gone to bed and you have to hard boot your PC? Why because PC doesn't wake the monitors?

14. kerrikitty

kerrikitty Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX 6800
    Sometimes all the monitors are on and frozen, sometimes they're all black and unresponsive.
    I have the computer set to NOT sleep or hibernate.
    I have every USB device set to "wake this PC"

Upon boot the graphics driver is disabled.

It can happen within an hour as well.
    I went to get my covid shot today and came back an hour later and the computer had gone black already.

sometimes the monitors go black and the graphics haven't been murdered and shaking the mouse wakes them like it should.

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Ok.

I still suspect bad contact here if like you said you can't really hear the latch click and the card rests on top of the shroud.
    It likely interferes with the shroud before going all the way down on the slot.

Sounds like a design problem with the mobo, contact Gigabyte support to at least make them aware of this particular issue.
    Or perhaps XFX didn't adhere to "standards" with their PCB or cooler dimensions and the card or cooler is slightly wider than usual from the connector side.

What probably happens is the card heats up and cools down, loses proper contact for a split second and you get the device disabled error and lost driver as a result.

To troubleshoot try installing the card in the lower slot and see if it latches down properly. If it does, see if you still get Error 22.

16. kerrikitty

kerrikitty Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX 6800
    Chipset drivers wouldn't install yesterday and i actually didn't have them, so I figured out how to get them installed, and then I also popped the card out and when pressing it back in in same slot it did click.
    This morning it was still on, so if it's still good by friday I'll say it was most likely chipset drivers as they didn't exist (went to remove programs and nothing was listed under AMD except the ryzen master & radeon software)

Typically though, every time I muck with a setting it's good for 2 days and then it starts happening again.

17. kerrikitty

kerrikitty Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX 6800
    got the error again today.
    the lower slot is in front of the fan too - wont it have the same issue?
    how do i know if my ryzen 5 cpu has on board video? from what i heard it wont be part of my mobo?
    coinsidering running with no gpu at all to see if it still errors

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    It could have the same issue but I thought you could try it and see if the card "snaps" in place better in the secondary slot, maybe the shroud isn't completely even all the way (hard to tell from photos).
    I'd just want to rule out bad contact as a cause, the problem could well be with the slot, motherboard or card as well.

Ryzen CPUs do not have integrated video, only Ryzen APUs do.

Can you try the graphics card on someone else's PC? That way you'd know if the card is at fault.

Error 22 can be software related too so also uninstall or disable everything that runs at startup or stays running in the background.

Check Windows Power Plan additional settings and disable PCI-E Link State Power Management if enabled.
    Also turn off shutting down displays after X time idle just to troubleshoot (you can power the displays down if you don't want to have a static image on screens overnight).