Windows is Deliberately Removing the Context Menu Item for Nvidia Control Panel

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Size_Mick, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Is there any way to stop this? The control panel itself is still available (I've made a shortcut to it), and the entry for it is still in the registry (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\), and in the nvidia control panel I have "add desktop context menu" option checked. I updated to the latest WHQL driver and when I restarted, the context menu item WAS there, then it was REMOVED only SECONDS LATER and I got a popup telling me the nvidia control panel is missing (it isn't, just the context menu item is) and that I needed to "click here" to download it from the Windows Store.

It's pretty obvious M$ wants me to use their store and they're deliberately f&cking with the nvidia control panel stuff to trick me into using it. I know there must be an easy fix but I haven't found it yet. Does anyone have a solution which will A) give me the context menu item again, and B) prevent M$ from removing it all sneaky-like? TIA

2. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    Very odd. Here are a couple of things you can try:

1. Which version of Windows are you using?

2. Did you do a proper reboot after installing the driver? If not, try doing so.

3. Did you try running Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe Mode (and ticked the bottom option "Prevent downloads of drivers..." in DDU's Options menu) to completely uninstall any previous drivers before you installed the latest one? If not, try it. It may just clear up a configuration issue.

4. Did you install the DCH or Standard driver? If it's DCH (which may want to install the latest version of Nvidia control panel from the Windows Store), try the Standard one (or vice-versa to see if it works better for you).
    You can download the Standard driver by going to Nvidia's driver page, going down to "ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE AND DRIVERS" clicking on "BETA Drivers and Archive" and under "Windows Driver Type" selecting "Standard".

5. Check your Windows Apps if Nvidia Control panel UWP app is installed there and if it is, uninstall it.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  3. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I've tried some of those things and to be thorough I'll try the DDU thing. But I think this is deliberate by M$ because as I said, after installing the latest drivers (NON-DCH), after rebooting the menu item WAS there and functioning -- then, seconds later, it wasn't and I got a popup window informing me that the control panel was missing. This occasionally pops up and I'd love to kill/disable/remove whatever program is throwing it up.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    there is no deliberate removal of the context menu icon for the nvcp.

Margalus, TimmyP and Smough like this.

5. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    Hm. It almost sounds like Windows is installing some DCH driver after your Standard driver is already installed. Try to clear Windows' driver and Update Caches and then use DDU's "Prevent Downloads" option and use DDU to clean any remains before you install the new Standard drivers.

6. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Windows is auto installing drivers and the control panel can be found on MS Store if you want to use those (Im sure they arent bad drivers).

In the meantime use whatever method works today for preventing Nvidia driver auto-installs (I think I had to use Group Policy Editor *to finally stop it), and update like usual.

7. uKER

uKER Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2070
    Are you on Windows 11?
    If so, you have to go into "Show more options".

BlindBison and endbase like this.
  8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Well, it happened to me too several times. Windows is just removing it and tries to replace it with some weird Microsoft App Store version of the NVCP (which is an old version usually that doesn't match the driver version I'm trying to install,) which then seems to fail. This happens while I try to install a new version of the nvidia driver.

The only way I'm able to upgrade nvidia drivers on Windows 10 is to download the drivers, disconnect my computer from my internet connection, uninstall the previous nvidia driver, install the new one, reboot, then reconnect the computer to the internet.

This so called "operating system" is fighting me in every corner :p

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    That is how I install drivers when I use DDU, only way to be 100% sure that Windows can't mess it up, but usually I just run the clean install option on top.

Running on Windows 11 developer atm. and installed the latest hotfix driver after removing the previous with DDU, weird thing is that the DCH driver installed NVCPL itself while I was completely disconnected from the network, Windows did not mess about with that afterwards.

10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Got some 3th party security software running in the background that might mess it up?
    Like Acronis Active Protection or alike?

11. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I can't be convinced that this isn't some M$ tactic. I saw with MY OWN EYES a functioning context menu item that DISAPPEARED mere seconds after I opened the control panel. In the driver control panel I have the little "add desktop context menu" item thing checked. Can someone with a working context menu item post all of the relevant registry entries so I can see what I'm missing? I've tried manually adding it in but I'm not sure exactly where it should go, as there are subkeys that are named the same thing but under different keys.

Just to clarify, no security software is installed that would remove it. The current driver I have installed came from the file 471.11-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe straight from nvidia's site. Automatic driver updates are turned off. Also, I realize it's just nitpicking since I *do* have a control panel, I just am very annoyed that I have to make a shortcut to it rather than have the age-old context menu item which I've relied on since the Detonator days.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  12. uKER

uKER Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2070
    There's no such "weird version of the NVCP".
    The NVCP is no longer bundled with the DCH (now default) version of Nvidia's drivers and the MS Store is the official version to get it.
    You will still get it if you install non-DCH drivers tho.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    BlindBison likes this.
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the nvcp is bundled with the dch driver as an appx package.

Mineria likes this.
  14. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I did the DDU thing and a clean install and that fixed the context menu item issue, BUT somehow it left a large, unusable area on my taskbar between the system tray and the first toolbar item and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get rid of it, so I system restored and tried again, but the same thing happened. Now I've found a registry hack that lets me manually add the control panel into the desktop context menu, although it doesn't show the nvidia logo next to the menu item. But it still works OK: https://lifehacker.com/add-any-application-to-the-windows-context-menu-1627589106

15. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    The driver updates the context menu registry which can be changed "on the fly." Its easily very understandable. Look up how to manually edit your context menu to see how easy it is.

*and PS desktop right click menu is HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground