Windows is 30 years of age today

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Today Friday November 20 - 2015 it has been 30 years ever since Microsoft released the very first version of Windows. The follow-up to MS-DOS was a game-changer in the market, a development that Micro...

Windows is 30 years of age today

2. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    And to celebrate lets put again that simply interface to Windows 10. :wanker:
    Where are Windows XP Royal or Windows 7 Aero interface?Good times.

3. Btw, in the crazy Balmer ad.

Why Nebraska? What did that state do?

4. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -

5. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    Can it run Crysis? :D

6. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    That video; i don´t think it´s only technology that came a long way. Lulz

7. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Did you see THAT - it had touch support back then! :D

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Surely that video is not a real commercial? It looks like a parody from a comedy TV series.

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Man, look at Bill's glasses.

10. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Bill Who?...:D

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    And all of this THX to AMIGA Workbench ;-)

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  13. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Here's my opinion. The first true Windows OS was Windows 95 so, it's really only 20 years old in my eyes. As was said, the previous versions were only a graphical interface to DOS. Windows 95 was, and still is, the biggest groundbreaking event in PC OS history.

I used 3.1 on old IBM PC's, skipped 95 and only got into the true Windows experience with 98SE. 98SE was a great OS and a big improvement over 95.

14. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    P.O. Box 286-DOS - now that's a nice themed box number :)

15. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Wow I'm no expert in old money but $99 all those years ago was a ****ton of money.

Let me see if i can find an exchange rate for today's money.

$285.75 in today's money.

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Windows95, 98, 98SE and ME all ran on top of DOS.... Microsoft just removed the step of having to install DOS first and included it as part of the Windows installer. WindowsXP was the first consumer release of Windows that was a full-fledged OS and not just a GUI running on top of another OS.

17. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE

Oh.. Good times indeed.

I wish my kids could have felt what I was feeling then as a 9yrs old using his Windows 95 in my room. It was like magic indeed.

Especially when inserting that Windows 95 CD and discovering its contents. That feeling of unlimited possibilities.

Oh boy, I feel so old. :p

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  18. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    iirc music video Edie Brickel: Good Times and trailer for Rob Roy movie were on original Windows 95 CD, or were they on Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95? Still have them both somewhere in my basement collection. Nice memories and like Koniakki just said I feel so old :( like it was 50 years ago.

btw my first contact with some GUI oriented OS was not on PC/Windows, not even on Amiga 500, it was on C-64 with GEOS back in mid 80`s, it was so awesome back in those days, didn`t had a mouse for C-64 so I had used some QuickShot II joystick to control mouse pointer, local Spectrum users hated me so much because of it :D

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  19. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I don't agree. Starting with 95, Windows became a full fledged OS with much better installation routines, hardware detection and driver installation, and a myriad of other improvements. Sure it was based on DOS but you can still say that of XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. What is the Command prompt but a carryover of the DOS days? The folder structures are still essentially the same. All MS did was remove access to the DOS underpinnings but they are still there.

It's like Android. It's based on the Linux kernel but is it Linux? Thank God, no.

20. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Microsoft didn't really do much with gaming until Win95 and later the development of D3d--up to that point 3dfx had a monopoly on 3d gaming APIs with GLIDE being the only one allowing for playable frame-rate games. I began weaning from the Amiga platform in '93, but didn't think much at all of either DOS or Win1.x-3.1, as the Amiga & Workbench did everything a whole lot better. But Windows was attached to the only open hardware market segment in the personal computer landscape--what would become the x86 clone markets--whereas C= and Apple and Sun were still mired in the past of selling custom hardware at a high profit with OSes that while good (at least the Amiga OS was good at the time) really served more as dongles to the expensive hardware! Apple still uses that same business model with the Mac, today, but had it not been for the cell phone market Apple would not be around today. Apple transitioned away from being a computer company years ago--at about the time Jobs had the word "Computer" removed permanently from the company name and logo.

Win95 was Microsoft's first real push into what we used to call "multimedia" back in those days, and I think it was actually Microsoft's first halfway decent version of Windows. I remember thinking that above all other things, Win95 showed me that Microsoft was really listening to its customers. A far cry from the lows the company hit in the few years leading up to Windows 8, when Microsoft pretty much ignored its customer base completely in a mad, self-destructive rush to copy Apple with the short-lived tablet fad! Heh...;) Who'd a thunk it...? I think Microsoft has recovered, but it's no accident that all of the upper management who green-lighted Win8 are no longer with the company today (Although I heard a nasty rumor that Sinofsky was back! Hopefully in a much diminished role, if any.)

The good thing is that I think Win10 is by far the best thing Microsoft has ever done. And the company is far better off with a software guy at the helm than a salesman. Will they be around in another 30 years? (I won't, that's for sure, most likely...;)) I'd say that Microsoft might make it--but only if the company sticks to its core competencies. Microsoft will always be a software company with only a minor role in hardware; just as it is true that Apple is the opposite--always a hardware company with almost no presence in software. Microsoft's future depends on the company's apprehension of those facts...;) Had Microsoft added a $40B Yahoo! search engine loss to its losses in the cell-phone market and because of Win8--it would be a different story with regard to writing off ~$50B in losses! And to think that Microsoft was just blessed and lucky that the Yahoo! founder was too dumb to take the money and run!...;) Gates should send him a bonus check.