1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows: How to get latest CPU microcode without modding the BIOS

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, Jan 5, 2018.

1. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    As of right now, WU doesn't install this stuff at least not anything for my 3570k.
    I have disabled all fixes (don't have any microcode based fixes applied).

The SSD/HD did get affected with meltdown (I think it was 4k random that was affected).

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    well I so far I cant say I see any performance diffrence, *maybe* my boot time is 2 seconds longer? cause the welcome screen isuaul instant it show up and instantly goes to desktop now it on it for like 2 seconds, which to me is moot, cause system boot/reboots in 15 seconds to begin with if my boot time suddenly double ok then that would be alarming.

as far as i can tell deux ex hr/md witcher 2 and skyrim se all play how they should which 1080p 60 fps at max like i remember, mk might be the exception to that as i didnt really get much farther then first 10 minutes and I only had the game on very high not ultra I know very high and 4k anit happen with the 1070ti

And what few games I did try at 4k on my UHDTV I didnt really see much difference if any vs 1080p at my 10foot viewing distance, up close 2 feet from screen i definitely did, so performance hit is not worth to me just yet

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    This is something you'd need to measure/benchmark. You can't tell by simply using the computer.

If you want to run benches or measure FPS in games, you can use the InSpectre tool to disable the Meltdown and Spectre mitigations:

https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

Which does the registry changes for you.

In the games I have installed, I've seen no perf difference yet on Sandy Bridge (which got the Spectre microcode update yesterday.) But I'm only measuring FPS. There could be perf penalties elsewhere.

I've yet to see a comprehensive bench that measures everything (frame timing and percentiles, not just raw FPS) and in a wide variety of games.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that is the thing so long as my game i play are 60 fps i dont care, and they all are still 60 fps, so from my stand point i dont see diffrence, if performance droped from 60fps to say 45fps I would notice it with out the the need of benchmarks

5. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    I never noticed anything in games.
    I tested a few BM (XTU, CB15, CPU-Z, SuperPi, DiskMark64), With meltdown, I noticed lower I/O in Diskmark, not much change elsewhere.
    With Spectra -micro-code I see a very small hit in CPU-Z and CB we're talking real small almost to point of testing error %.

BTW I just found micro code was ready for restart.
    So I doubt it would affect games too much.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I concerned about real world permanence, not what some benchmarks say when people say I lost 1000 point or 2 fps in in said benchmarks I cant help but laugh, cause as far as I concerned that can be margin of error. I am aware of I/O differences and yes I noticed boot is lil slower, but 2 seconds extra to 15 second boot time is means nothing to me, and I dont go around compression large files on my SSD nor do i even have any games on said SSD.

my SSD is strickly for the OS and some programs, and as long as it speed is still there, and it is I dont care, if crippled it to say hdd speeds then yes that would be bad, but it dont

7. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Then your good to go :)

8. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX1070 FE
    On 2600k, win10 1803. Got the patch today. Ran a few benches, seems a hair lower on cpu scores, but barely anything. Same for SSD, i run an old crucial M500 with default ms ahci. Nothing noticeable there either, either in bench or perception.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I still think alot things got blown out proporiton, about all this espcial with how it was handled and how media all the social media nuts decided they want to lite fire under it, said fire is still burn cause now apparntly every month or so it exploits flaw etc etc in said cpu, at this point probably not gona stop

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I had to install it manually on my setup - 1607 and 6700k. No obvious issues or impact so that's good. My microcode went from C2 (bios) to C6 (windows). I guess it will be bundled in the next CU's.

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Yes, for users it moot IMO, most major software got updated so for normal users, chances are really small IMO.
    Now for commercial VM's, that is another thing but again even each software got updated too.

Right now we are living in a very polar world. People seem to group to the extremes w/o really knowing the facts.
    Seemed to start with the political area but has moved to every corner of society.

12. djpailo

djpailo New Member

GPU:
    Raedon 5570 HD 1GB
    I'm still using a i7 860 here. Dell has decided not to update the BIOS for the processor. Does anyone know when Microsoft plan to put the Lynfield microcode updates on Windows update?

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    thought intel said if they didnt release microcodes for the original flaw yets for a cpu it not gona get one? thought I not sure where the cut off was

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Lynnfield has a microcode update for Spectre. It's listed in Intel's microcode update guidance:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/sa00115-microcode-update-guidance.pdf

Yorkfield does not get an update, so that seems to be the cut-off point (at least for desktop CPUs.)

IIRC, Intel initially stated that only CPUs up to Sandy Bridge would be getting updates. It seems they reconsidered.

15. Tomatone

Tomatone Member Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 580 8GB
    You can download latest microcode cpu106E5_plat13_ver0000000A_2018-05-08 PRD_B16FCEEB.bin for that CPU from here and use UBU tool or hex editor and add to bios.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

I think Intel is gona be reconsidering alot things for some time, unless they really think they can get away with thinking there the only game in town now

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I lost 1-2fps by cpu specific game benchmarks,3dmark physics

Metro2033 LL is a bit strange by physics parts, seen a few 50ish+ drops while before 60ish+, could be driver fault too I was latest 398.91VK driver, atm back to 397.64, but I didnt benchmark LL yet.

3dmark physics scores remained the same with 397.64 after this spectre..
    Other real games no difference, now I see 397.64 is smoother then any other 398.xx and snappier..will keep this until "magic" 400 driver

18. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I wish MS would have a way to disable the mitigation at runtime without having to reboot. We could them just have a shortcut or something to toggle them before/after playing a game.

On Linux you just flip a switch to toggle these mitigations on/off without reboot :-/

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
  20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    so my my 6700k is soon to be C6 instead C2... I have not really been a test for performance diffrences, cause I really have been using my pc to play games as of late