Windows folder deletion problem

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by dcx_badass, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

ok, lemme explain it so dumb peopel can understand

Recovery Console is outside of windows, there are no processes running, as windows is not loaded.

He has tried deleting the folder in Recovery console, it didnt work

which means there are no programs or processes locking the drive.

Dcx_badass.

google and download Total Commander,

then go into Configuration > options > display tab and enable show hidden and system files.

then use it to navigate to the MEH folder and see if you can see anything inside of it.

2. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600LE @ 430/490
    To enable the set command in recovery console, boot normally
    Start->Run->type
    secpol.msc

Under Local Policies->Security Options

and enable this key "Recovery Console: Allow floppy copy and access to all drives and all folders"

Now tru deleting the file in Recovery console. Yes, and I don't think any process runs in the recovery console.

3. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

which is what i've been saying :(

people should read the entire thread to get an idea on whats already been done., isn't that so Bakuryu.

i am sure its got nothing to do with running processes though. as i said its most likely either corrupted folder table info or file table info.

4. Phoenikx

Phoenikx Master Guru

GPU:
    Myself
    Lay out your findings to those damn bluntheads :)

Dcx_badass wants to remove a directory or content within it, and he can manage it easily with one of the following procedures :
    1. Using a bootable diskette with NTFS support <---> for NTFS hard disk(s)
    2. Using a bootable diskette <---> for FAT hard disk(s)
    3. Running a multi-boot system
    4. Mounting a hard disk into a different computer system, and assigning it as a Slave
    5. Administrative Tools settings

For some reasons, Dcx_badass has not complied with # 1-4, while options #1 and #2 are simple and extremely effective, and as a matter of fact that is the best way to handle any PC-based computer system, since Windows is nothing but DOS with its own kernel, graphical layout, ect. :)

Therefore - for people not familiar with DOS - option #5 is relatively easy to manage and he can do it.
    No need for RecoveryConsole, which appears to be useless.
    No need for TotalCommander, either.

The purpose for asking Dcx_badass on application(s) running in background was to :
    - eliminate a potential source of a problem

Since - according to Dcx_badass - no application is running in a background, he needs to "disable" Mike's account within AdministrativeTools settings, and modify that MEH directory.
    That is a very simple task, and Dcx_badass should have no problems to accomplish it successfully, and it goes as follow :
    - Enter Windows' session as an Administrator
    - Enter AdministrativeTools
    - Find ComputerManagement/SystemTools/LocalUsersAndGroups/Users directory/folder
    - Disable account for "Mike"
    - Go to that directory/folder <---> C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\MEH
    - Remove or Modify that damn directory/folder
    - If not successful, reboot and repeat these steps
    - If not successful, try it in "Safe Mode"

5. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

the directory can't be modified, becoz the use information is locked due to corruption in the headers.

Total commander > turn on hidden and system files > see if you can remove the files inside it.

6. Phoenikx

Phoenikx Master Guru

GPU:
    Myself
    When "Mike"s account is going to be "disabled", and Administrator can manage that directory with ease, any way he/she wants to :)

7. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

i doubt it'll work. but its worth a try,.

8. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I tried these:

Thanks so far guys.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  9. Phoenikx

Phoenikx Master Guru

GPU:
    Myself
    You have not many options left, but :
    - use a bootable diskette with FAT support, and manually remove or modify that directory in DOS
    - use a bootable diskette with NTFS support, and manually remove or modify that directory in DOS
    - (physically) remove that hard disk from a case, and connect it within another computer system, while setting jumpers (on that hard disk) to "Slave" or "CS" <---> "CableSelect"

It seems that MEH directory has become corrupted, cross-linked, ect.

10. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    As you have gone through all the usual suspects, to me it sound like it might be a low level issue. If so it is possible that it can't be repaired but only a format would clear the error (im not suggesting it would be worth it). You can try using a HD tool from the manufacturers web site to check the HD.

But by now there really isn't many causes or workarounds to this type of error left. There are "MAX_PATH characters" and name space issues but i doubt that's it ("Cause 4, 5 and 6 in the below link).

You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume

11. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Just try recovery console method before this by first removing that restriction. Then these methods, otherwise as animatrix said, most probably a format. btw ... have you ran chkdsk on that disk for any errors ?

12. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I'll try the recovery console thing now. I have a normal XP Pro disk(used to install on this pc, and a slip streamed SP2 version, will either work?, and advantages?

13. AndyMutz

AndyMutz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080 FTW3
    try to delete the folder with unlocker:
    http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

i once had a directory with some securom copyprotection files in it and i could not delete it, because the filenames contained illegal characters. no other tools i tried but unlocker could get rid of it, so maybe it'll work for you too.

-andy-

14. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I don't know if there's any difference in the recovery console for XP Pro and a XP Pro SP2 disk. However, I would go with the slipstreamed SP2 one ....

15. Cochise

Cochise Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800gt OC
    I also have this problem with files windows nt(subfolders pinball, accessories) and msngamingzone.

16. Cochise

Cochise Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800gt OC
    Folder unlocker worked but after i deleted the files and rebooted they returned.

17. Cochise

Cochise Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800gt OC
    Used unlocker to try an kill proccess before reading and it was system 32 win logon. BSOD heaven lol. Anyone know how to get rid of them. The system32 winlogon.exe is the culprit in both cases.

18. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I tried it it said cannot delete, would you like to delete on bootup i said yes, guess what it was still there.

19. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    So, I guess you have tried the recovery console method, and all the other methods, and perhaps it still did'nt work ??

I think then it's finally a time for a format.

20. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Yeah i guess formats only option, but i'll leave it till start of July then do it, thanks for all help and time guys.