Windows fast start up causing 'Default Radeon WattMan Settings Have been Restored due to Unexpected

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Reclusive781, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700(non-xt)
    Messed up the thread title, sorry.

Title: "Windows fast start up causing 'Default Radeon WattMan Settings Have been Restored due to Unexpected System Failure’ error"

Is AMD ever going to fix this issue? I don't see it listed anywhere as a known issue.

When I ever have no other choice but to use the power or reset button on my PC I still have this problem. Then there's the time the power went out a couple weeks ago. When rebooting and shutting down from within Windows, Wattman works flawlessly as long as fast start-up is disabled.

*EDIT*

In my case it's not an unstable OC.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  2. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    I had the same "issue" with Vega.. It's been caused by unstable OC

vestibule likes this.
  3. Reclusive781

GPU:
    RX 6700(non-xt)
    People keep bringing up unstable OC's every time I bring this up.

I had the issue just by having custom fan curve settings. Anything outside of being set to default tuning I had the issue. Are you going to start being that know it all jackass on Reddit that went off topic and tried giving me advice on my RAM?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  4. zingzs

zingzs Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700XT 12G
    Somehow AMD doesn't like fast startup to be enabled when you do changes to tuning (ofc not just OC thingy).

But, after several experiments, Amernime Drivers fixed this issue as well (can confirm in my fresh Windows 11 IoT LTSC with Fast Startup enabled). Pretty sure the original AMD drivers has messed up that tuning, when tried to do fast startup with loading the preset you just made before

I hate to recommend the custom drivers for specific users, but I cannot find good workarounds to fix that problem in official drivers anyway :(

Reclusive781 likes this.

5. I've never ran into Wattman resetting outside of an actual unstable OC reboot, but Fast Start is one of the first things I disable on Windows installs. Does nothing notable to improve my boot times on NVMe from cold start, and just sounds like a recipe for all sorts of issues when doing its fake shutdown ordeal.

I think unchecking it from Power Options works just as well, but this command disables it:
    Code:
    powercfg /hibernate off

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2023
  6. ReK!eN

ReK!eN Active Member

I find that some games do not respect the global or custom prefix and every time I start the game, resets the configuration to a different one, which varies depending on the game, for example I have globally radeon chill at 60, but for valorant, I disable it and still every time I start the game it resets radeon chill to a value of 60 fps, also resets other settings such as sharperning

however for other games it completely respects the settings, both global and custom prefixes, I do not understand what is the cause that makes the prefix is not respected with some particular games

however the wattman prefixes are respected in all games.

7. ocsystem

ocsystem Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6600xt
    Hibernate take lot of your system disk space too beside dumping the memory data to disk everytime you shotdown or bootup.

8. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Watt meter on the wall on my desk (gaming/work PC, Ryzen 7 5800X with 64 GB of DDR4)
    - Standby: 6W
    - Hibernate: 4W

Needless to say, I'm not bothering with hibernate anymore (starts much slower, uses up SSD life)

9. Cp0

Cp0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Liquid Dev 7900 XTX
    Disable fast startup in windows and this will stop 99% likely.

10. Reclusive781

GPU:
    RX 6700(non-xt)
    Power went out during the weekend. This time all the settings reset itself without an error message and stayed on manual tuning.

11. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    disable fast startup is the first thing to do in every PC with SSD

RealNC likes this.
  12. ReK!eN

ReK!eN Active Member

good days
    after a lot of reading and trying to fix it I give up

the culprit is not fastboot, amd uses some kind of predefined prefix that has priority over the user settings but I am unable to find it.

this is what I have discovered, I am not English, if something is not understood I am sorry, if you tell me I can try to explain it with other words.

the user configuration file is at this address
    C:\Users's user configuration file.blb
    this encrypted partially, but the values can be modified, if you look it is not difficult, I attach a capture
    [​IMG]

in the screenshot, i have deleted all my profiles and i have only set one, which is csgo, i only activate radeon chil to a minimum and maximum value of 150 fps and set my minimum clock to 1600mhz to avoid sttutering, when i restart my clock setting is still 1600 but radeon chil has been set to another value, but in my configuration file it still shows that radeon chill is set to 150 fps, but it is making use of another value that I don't know where it gets it from, my global prefix is set to a chil of 60 fps. but my global prefix doesn't matter because it never respects them.

but every time i set any value in csgo and other games, when i restart the game it sets other values, always the same but they are different values for each game, for example for csgo every time i restart it disables any setting like radeon lag and activates radeon chil to 70-300

it is very frustrating

13. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    New Windows 11 build 25290 (DEV) triggers WattMan Setting Reset on every boot even without the "Fast boot" option enabled.:confused:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  14. ReK!eN

ReK!eN Active Member

I suspect that the cause of all the problems is this file
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64 >> atiapfxx.blb
    C:\Windows\System32 >>> atiapfxx.blb

hello
    I have been rebooting several times and the prefixes are being saved, I don't believe it.

I do not know if it is a coincidence because I have done a clean install of the drivers also but this is what I have done.

the files I mention above, you have to change the user permissions to full control.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    Jackalito likes this.