Windows Fall Creators Update available from October 17th

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 1, 2017.

1. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Sorry for being unrelated but not sure where to mention this. Hilbert your site is completely down in Taiwan. Both my WiFi and 4g are unable to access it. Both which are the most popular carriers in the country. I had to use a vpn to log in. Once again sorry for the unrelated post. Just wanted to bring it to your attention.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Why not PM Hilbert?

3. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    I guess you are right. Some are needed for fan control and some other stuff. Didnt have time to try speedfan, but I should, cause gigabyte apps are a disaster.

Bios is a lost cause. They completely s**ks

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  4. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Yeah, Gigabyte is notorious for having sloppy BIOSes (mobos). But some others, namely ESC and AssRock are not much better in that respect.

@Aura; correction: m$ is The Leader of everything evil, related to the computers. The very greediest among those gangs... I watched a lot of videos featuring EvilBill, and I can say lightheartedly that I have never seen a guy so unscrupulous, sinister, vain and soulless as this bot. Charlie Manson looks like an innocent baby sitter, compared to evil billy (Evil Butterfly)..

5. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    For you perhaps. I'm not going to lie and make up something stupid like that.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Didn't say you were lying, but if it works for me on the same OS without any codec packs, obviously the OS is not at fault, something is wrong your end otherwise everyone running LTSB would have the same problem

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Fixed that for you.

8. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    I'd bet you money that is due to the damned permissions problems I mentioned earlier. The game or the installer or something probably doesn't have the "right permission" to use or install the codecs. Windows 10 (all versions) fight you and resist everything you try to do it seems. It has become routine for me to install *insert any program* and then immediately just go to the install folder and give myself full control or something winds up broken almost every time. Huge pain in the arse!

Example: Install Photoshop, run it the first time and it pops up the usual dialogs about "Do you want to register?" etc. You tick the never register box. That thing will pop up every time you run it until you run it as administrator and check the box.

Another: Extract the portable version of CCleaner to ".../Program Files/CCleaner". Run it, and resize the window and change any settings in the options. Relaunch and everything will be reset like it was...until you go and manually take ownership of the CCleaner folder because it cannot write to its own .INI file.

Another: check the permissions of ".../ProgramData/etc/etc/Start Menu/Programs" where all the shortcuts in the start menu are. There will be a broken "unknown account" in there and you can not create a shortcut to anything there (until you give yourself permission). But you can make the shortcut on the desktop, then move it there after clicking through all the griefing administrator dialogs. ARGH!

I could go on and on and on and on and on and on...$#@% Windows 10!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Install everything as Administrator, job done

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Sounds like you have a hard time running a simple OS, i'm sorry.

11. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    My user account IS an administrator, everything I do should be done "as an administrator"...the point is all the nonsense should not be needed in the first place, and never was in Windows 7. I guess I need a "Trusted Installer" account now. I use as many portable programs as possible, you can't "install" them as administrator.

Aura89, I don't have a "hard time" other than being annoyed by all the extra steps required to do basic stuff, but I can not imagine how dear old Granny, or anyone not used to working around all the crap, can even manage to use Windows 10 for anything Microsoft has not taken control of and spoon feeds to them. How would they even know to check permissions and run things as administrator, etc.?

I use Linux for everything except Windows only games these days. When Linux is easier, to work with, by far, than Windows....whatever.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Having an Administrator account and running things as Administrator are two completely different things

Administrator account means you have permission to run things as Admin, as opposed to a standard limited account where you do not

This is done for security reasons so that malware can not give itself elevated privileges without interaction from the user first (See UAC prompt)

If you want a true Admin account where everything you do is run as Admin, open command prompt and type: net user administrator /active:yes

Hit enter, log off, and log into the unlocked true Administrator account

13. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    net user administrator /active:yes

Doesn't work for me - access denied after pasting it within cmd.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Open Command Prompt as Administrator first (right click > run as Administrator)

15. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Haven't tried GTAV but other games run fine so far. Sorry about that.

No need to be angry.

16. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Extraordinary likes this.
  17. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Yeah, I know. I just think it's wonky the way the permissions are done in Windows 10. I have to fight with it a LOT. I'll just leave it at that.

The actual Admin account I used once to try and fix the start menu problems mentioned earlier by using two other accounts to create a working start menu on one of them, and then use the Admin account to copy "...\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database" to the broken account. It didn't fix it.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  18. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Odd, I don't think how Administrator is done on Windows is that much of an issue, not much different from previous Windows versions either.
    Security wise it is also better, leans a bit more toward sudo.

Extraordinary likes this.