1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Exploit protection making games stutter ? [ need your input ]

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by ne0x, Jun 4, 2019.

1. ne0x

ne0x New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    After reading:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/p...-individual-games-eg-metro-exodus-bf5.425353/

I decided to try this out or myself, and i must say that it does help alot. however i took it a bit further for some games like PUBG and SCUM. Instead of only turning of the "CFG" i am actually overriding all the OS defaults, and turn ALL the different "protections" to "OFF" (atleast the ones that are on).

For me even in NON DX12 games i have NO stutter whatsoever. On PUBG i would notice micro stutters every 2-5 seconds > now these are gone.

In SCUM > which is very poorly optimized > even in a "local" game i would get a massive fram drop / freeze every 5/20seconds > as soon as i started moving my in game character. These are now gone.

I have done the same for Anthem and Insurgency:Sandstorm fro mthe getgo so im not even sure i would have stutters in those games.

Just some additional info about my setup and some tweaks that i have done:

-Ryzen 1700x @ 4.0GHZ (all powerseving, eco stuff is off in bios).
    -32GB DDR4 @ 3000 mhz (couldn't get it higher because my system would get unstable,, and i do not understand how the timing calculator works)
    -500GB M.2 Samsung SSD
    -RTX 2080, no OC at the moment.

All latest drivers. Windows hasnt updated to the latest yet

• In windows i use the "MSI utility" to get MSI mode for all the devices that support it.
    • I have used "Black vipers Windows 10 service config" on Tweaked settings.
    • I have disabled all "non critical" startup programs > only discord, steam and the corsair software load on startup.
    • I have disabled Windows features like printing etc. that i dont use.
    • And i have set up the .exe schedule to empty Windows standby memory every 15 minutes (not that i really need it).
    • Also i have Disabled all possible settings with Win10Privacy that i could.
    • Disabled Defender scanning etc from windows group policy.

I am curious if there is anyone here that is willing to test it out aswel, to verify that i'm not crazy. Im not sure what the risks are of having everything "OFF". So please use it at your own Risk.

Anybody willing to try this out, on a game which they KNOW is a freezefest? Thank you!

2. ne0x

ne0x New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    @ mod, i think i posted this in the wrong section. I wanted t opost it in games.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Not on my rig.
    I witnessed only one game with stutters - DeusEx: Human Revolution. I solved it with system timer resolution tweak.

4. elveda

elveda New Member

GPU:
    P8P67 LE
    is it still necessary with windows 10?

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    You mean to cure the game? Alas, it is still necessary. Some badly coded place in the game, I think.

6. elveda

elveda New Member

GPU:
    P8P67 LE
    i was thinking that windows 10 would do it self and it is just in windows 7 necessary to put it on 0,5 ms

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    System timer resolution is considered as a legacy thing in Win10:
    - It increases power consumption and CPU usage.
    - It is outdated, not the lightweight facility to use in game.
    - 0.5 ms is still not enough resolution when you want to play with microseconds (for example).

So big "no".

8. lime

lime Member

GPU:
    lol.