Windows 9 preview targeting a Q2 2015 release

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 19, 2014.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    You didn't need to install dos first before installing 98se and above though

Yea 95 was a complete mess, but MS being MS, they kept up with the trend of sh1t, good, sh1t, good routine

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  2. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF EVO 5700XT
    Yeah, form memory you needed a DOS boot disk to mount the cd drive before you could install 95 from cd

3. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF EVO 5700XT
    It's hasn't all been that bad, 95 was messy, 98 was better, 98 SE was better again, ME was a MASSIVE MESS, XP was good, Vista had driver issues for the first 6ish months and if it wasn't for being able to use Vista drivers in Win 7 that would have been a mess for the first few months just like Vista was.

4. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    95 Bad
    98se Good
    ME Bad
    XP Good
    Vista Bad
    7 Good
    8 Bad
    8.1 Good
    9 ?? bad ??

Or some people might want to keep the 8.1 in the 8 bracket, in which case 9 should be good

5. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    JetStream 980Ti
    People forget how bad xp was at release, it wasn't until sp2 and 3 where is started to shine.

8 was a bit of a mess at release but .1 and update 1 have made it the best windows to date imo

6. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Yea, I was listing them in terms of "Never got good"

95, ME, Vista, 8, none of them got good, I see 8.1 as a separate OS to 8

7. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF EVO 5700XT
    I'm going to skip any that were before my time and this is just my opinion, but :

Win 3 - good
    Win 3.1 - better
    95 - Yeah it was messy but it was a HUGE improvement over 3.1 & DOS 6.2
    98 - Better again
    98SE - Better again
    ME - DISASTER nothing was stable, EVER
    XP - Got good AFTER SP1 but was still better than ME from day one.
    Vista - BAD
    7 - Good only for the fact Vista drivers were compatible at launch otherwise this could have been another vista
    8 - Meh - I had no issues with 8 (apart from some dodgy driver support) but I'm not a fan
    8.1 - Better, not a massive fan but I do like the performance increase over 7

8. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I don't know Vista was pretty good after SPs the wife is still using it.I'm not changing it as she hates change so I'm not messing with 8.1 for her in a million years.lol

9. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    The missus had Vista basic on her laptop when I met her, took months to convince her to update to 7, eventually after swearing she would never try it, she let me install it, now when I ask her if she wants me to install Vista on her laptop again she says "NO WAY!"

People need a kick up the ass sometimes to know what's good for them

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I never had an issue with WinME. I ran it on 3 different computers. Never had a problem with Vista either. After almost 20 years, I still fail to see where Win95 was an improvement over Win3.1. It was, for the most part, unstable as hell. It would randomly BSoD for no reason. Nothing like typing a 20 page research paper to get a BSoD from trying to print.... Windows3.1 and Dos..."just worked".

(Consumer version of) Windows wasn't even an actual operating system until XP..... Win95a, 95b, 95c, 95d, 98, 98se and ME all ran on top of Dos.

11. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    I loved Windows ME, but it crashed a LOT for me, maybe it was hardware specific, I can vividly remember audio dying very frequently and bluescreens just as often but I didn't care because after 98se needing the windows disk every time you installed just about anything, and Windows ME not needing it, and MEs super fast boot, I didn't care about the problems lol

12. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    If they just replace windows 9 with windows 7, i think most people would be happy.

13. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    I had ME and it randomly blue screened. Wasn't the hardware at fault, because I upgraded it to XP and it worked flawlessly.

14. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Yea I meant maybe ME didn't play nice with certain hardware, which is why some people had no issues, others had loads

The hardware I had with ME worked fine with 2000/98se and possibly XP too, can't remember, but wasn't a hardware fault

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The only BSoD I ever had with ME was from a sound card driver....coincidentally, it was a Sound Blaster card. Replaced the sound card and problem solved.

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Windows 7 is nice but Windows 8/8.1 without the start menu is like a faster slightly more streamlined version of windows 7. Its also supposed to be better for game performance like BF4 was. Windows 7 does have better compatibility with older games though when using programs like GlideWrapper, they just dont work on 8.1. I still wouldnt change from 8.1 though.

17. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Mine was just an old P133 machine iirc, everything was onboard (Actually I seem to remember something about ISA slots and soundcards.... long long time ago

Vaguely remember building an 800MHz Duron machine after that, might have also used ME on there, seem to remember installing 2000 on it, so chances are it was also an ME machine at some point

Windows RG :D
    http://www.deanliou.com/winrg/WinRG2.htm

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Mine was a K7 Athlon 500mhz with a Diamond Stealth III S540 Extreme and 512mb ram with some Sound Blaster card.

19. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF EVO 5700XT
    I was giving my experience with the different versions of Windows I have personally used.

I only ever ran into D3D / OpenGL / display driver issues in Win 95, apart from that I had no issues with it and the main improvements came in the multitasking (something 3.1 didn't do very well) & networking areas.

"Consumer versions" of Windows have been split out since 3.1, the "business version" used to be Windows for Workgroups (which included network protocols not included in 3.1) which later became NT.

ME used to BSOD constantly on my P3 (i think it was a P3, i still have the box somewhere in the garage) even doing the most basic of things MYOB, MS Works, Internet, etc. Upgraded the same PC to Win XP and all the issues magically went away.