1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 9 Charms bar has been barred

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 7, 2014.

1. TheSarge

TheSarge Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X
    You ever hear of a window? You know, those things that are square and resizeable that you can have many of on the same desktop screen at the same time? Guess what: Unless you have one of those maximized or running in full-screen mode, you don't have to minimize any of those when you launch anything. That's what the Start menu and the taskbar are for. Try doing that in Metro.

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    I don't have to minimize them in metro either? I don't get it.

3. TheSarge

TheSarge Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X
    Well then how is Metro better than the Start menu?

Except for the little part of the lower-left-hand section of the screen that the Start Menu covers, I can still see all my open program windows when I am using the Start menu. Not so when I use the Metrofied Start Screen, it blots out everything. When your Metro Start Screen is open all you can see... all you can litteraly see... is the Start Screen. How is this better? I keep asking how this is better, all the Metro fanboys keep failing to give me an answer.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Well I mean I don't know about this thread but I've posted in multiple others giving multiple answers to that question.

For starters I get 72 items pinned to favorites. By default it's limited to 10 in Windows 7. Those 72 items are also sized according to fits law, which essentially creates the maximum hit return on each item.

Second those items have live information displayed on them. I don't know if you find that useful or not but on my Surface I find it incredibly useful. I wake it in the morning and right from the start I see weather for the day, I see my calendar and I see trending news.

Third the interface is incredibly useful on touchscreens. I had Windows 7 on a lenovo touchscreen flip laptop. It was an absolutely terrible experience, I would go as far as saying that it was unusable. This alone makes it worth the upgrade.

And personally I have no downsides. I don't mind that it takes up the whole screen because there is never a time when I need to see whats behind it. It's perfectly usable with keyboard search, which is how I navigate to items, so there is no difference in app navigation. You take this + everything else that's better about the OS and overall it was definitely worth way more than $40 for me.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014

5. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SSC
    Sarge.... i really have no idea why (or how) Denial is still going on with you about this. Not only do you say that "all the Metro fanboys keep failing to give you an answer".... but you COMPLETELY ignored not only the fact that i pointed out the answer you're looking for just a few posts ago, but Denial even mentioned my answer in one of his previous posts that YOU QUOTED.

You keep praising how awesome it is to be able to see your open programs and everything using the classic Start Menu... and how bad it is that if you're using Metro in Windows 8, you can't see anything but the Start screen. So what if you can see what's behind it? If you can't interact with one without closing the other, there's absolutely no freakin difference whatsoever (in terms of helping with "multitasking" and the like) between the Start Menu and the Start Screen, period. But there are significant benefits to having a full-screen start menu, as Denial has pointed out. One of which being having a vast quantity of your favorite apps not only right there when you open the Start Screen, but being able to re-size them based on frequency of use, and also being able to categorize them by the type of application.

Not to be rude... but it's the blind attempting to call out fanboys. There's a difference between a fanboy and someone who actually knows what's what. Experience. I'm sure just about ALL of us are familiar with the classic Start menu. There are also those who have spent a lot of time using Windows 8 (myself included... using it since launch). The main difference is that those of us who see the Start Screen as something new and BETTER, is because we're more open to change, and apparently can adapt and see the similarities and the benefits of the Screen over those of the Menu. We're not the ones who've used Windows 8 for minutes and followed the sheep saying that it's horrid.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    I think my biggest issue with the start screen complaints is that no one is able to see beyond what they use start for. I get that a lot of people here have beefy gaming machines and don't care for touch screens or mobile computing. But I do and there are a lot of people out there that do judging by the fact that mobile computing is booming. And Windows 8's start and even metro in general was like a huge leap forward on touch.

Obviously 8 isn't the pinnacle of design though. Hopefully Microsoft will continue to evolve the UI so it's excellent on both keyboard and mouse and fills the roll that everyone needs it for. But it's hardly bad and it's hardly change for change sake. It benefited me a hell of a lot.

7. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    As long as I can continue to play kick ass PC games, keep the updates coming.

8. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SSC
    Yea... it's not the pinnacle of design..... but i mean come on. People are STILL complaining about the Start Screen (with nothing new to go on, by the way), 21 MONTHS after Windows 8 was released? What a testament to willpower!

9. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    Dude, I have no idea what is wrong with you. Now you're suggesting that I should keep every window restored down? I can't bloody do that, I work as a web developer. Just a small everyday example/question (assuming you don't write code), do you write your damn word documents in small windows? Because that makes no damn sense. With my workflow I barely even see the desktop, I often have at least 2 browsers open on one monitor, and on the other monitor an IDE, a database explorer and some git tool. Do you understand that? Why do I have to explain basic concepts of what I said earlier to you? Is it that hard to read a post and think before replying? :3eyes:

I'm not wasting any more time on you.

10. Yecnot

Yecnot Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 270 2GB
    Unless you're using 100+ different programs, Metro should have no negative impact on your work performance at all. Why some people refuse to see past this point (after all, its the only "credible" reason you have for hating 8).

11. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SSC
    Even if you're using that many programs... it's far easier to keep track of them and organize them in Metro than it is in the Start Menu.

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I'm a heretic. I still enable Quick Launch in 8.1. It's just so handy on the desktop.