Windows 9 2015

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Satin_Knight, Jan 12, 2014.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    You talk about Windows being a "nightmare" when it was new, yet you're not even old enough to remember when it was new. When Windows was "new" it wasn't even an operating system. It was nothing but a graphical overlay for DOS. WindowsNT is where Windows finally became an actual operating system. Windows1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 95, 98 and ME were nothing but graphical overlays for DOS.

nVidia doesn't allow devs to modify their drivers. So, if an nVidia driver doesn't work with your desired distro, you're kinda screwed....

2. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
  3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
  4. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning

Ahahaha, yeah. I'm still waiting on a response for a bug report I posted last year.

5. AlexKidd5000

AlexKidd5000 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    You got me there. But I'm sure windows was still a nightmare back then regardless. The first PC I ever used was in 1995 with win3.1 right before it was replaced by win95.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    With age comes knowledge and patience to apply it.
    Heck yes,those werre the times then.
    More,the beloved XP was also hated in his first days,and was so shabby that one computer would infect by only connect it to the internet.(anyone here remebers that one?),but now is the most longevive and most loved OS outthere.

Microsoft wants to introduce Windows 9?
    Well,let them do so.It is called progress and we love how they listen to user's feedback ./insert sarcasm here.
    Gnu/Linux is another story all toghether,why appeared in this thread,beats me.
    Every OS is a tool,something to do your computing and nothing more.
    Riding a byke is easy,but there are people outhere terrified about riding a byke.

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XP was god awful in it's early days :p I remember people preferred 98 and 2000 until SP2 came around. I myself used to have trouble with Windows Update failing to work most of the time. I don't miss XP at all. I even had a better experience with Vista x64!

8. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    For open-minded keyboard-heavy users, Win8 and 8.1 are superior to Win7 in terms of how fast you can do various things.

Regarding signing in, it's like signing in with a Google Account, it's happening everywhere and for me it's convenient as you don't need to create new passwords everywhere. Also, it's really nice to have various settings synced and backed up. I have multiple PCs and thanks to that they feel pretty much the same.

Skype and other apps - your parents can relog. I'd suggest every user has a separate account on a shared machine, and if you have your rig that you let someone else use from time to time, you may create a disconnected account that lets you log in (and relog) to various apps without syncing settings. It all can be done, but the question is which solution to use, as some may be new or not intuitive if a user is used to some kinds of practices.
    When I was installing Win7 on my parents' PC (there was no Win8 available at that time) they were pretty skeptical about the fact that I created separate accounts for them. They disliked it for some time, but I asked them to accept that, try using for a month or 2, use Win+L shortcut, then to decide if they really want shared account. They didn't want to go back, really. Dad was grateful that my mom didn't mess with his games, and she really liked the fact that he couldn't accidentally mess with her browser and research data.

I like trying different things, experimenting, as sometimes you realize that there are way better solutions that you were used to apply. The mistake that Microsoft did was in my opinion applying too big change in too short time. It should be a slower process. But if you can remember, people hated Windows Vista Start Menu, which is basically the same in Win7. Could you switch back from Win7 Start Menu to one from XP? Or from Win98? Once you master new tools, it's not that easy to go back.

9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Someone can really speak his mind right.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    First "computer" I used was in 1983 and ran Atari DOS (and atari game cartridges). My first x86 compatible PC was in 1986 running MS-DOS. I got my first PC with Windows in 1992. Windows1.0 was useless for the average person as there was no software available from 3rd parties. Windows2.x had multiple releases, making it a bit of a hassle because some releases were processor dependent. Windows3.x was quite user friendly for it's time and was the first really targetted at home users. Back then, hardware came with installation instructions for both the hardware and the drivers.

That's great for some people. In my case, I have 3 different systems running Win8.1 all with different purposes. Those 3 systems are configured specifically for their intended purposes. I don't need anything sync'd between them except the files I have on Google Drive. I don't need the 3 systems to "feel pretty much the same". I need them to feel like they have a specific purpose that varies by system.

11. AlexKidd5000

AlexKidd5000 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    Ahh, Atari computers, I never had the pleasure of having/using one, or a Commodore computer. In fact I didn't even know Atari even made computers, until around 2003. or know about the C64, or Amiga until then either. Sucks to be me lol.

And I figured Windows 1 and 2 were pretty useless. Windows 3.0 was what put Windows on the map.

12. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
  13. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    I don't use the Metro UI at all but haven't dealt with any issues real issues with 8.1. Boots up fast with like 8 programs loading.

14. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Thanks for the link, Denial. :thumbup:

According to his comments Microsoft has invited him to Seattle to talk about his ideas. At least they are willing to listen. I wonder if they'll hire him. ;)

15. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Personally, i think ms just need to let windows be what its been since 95.
    Let me manage my files, let me choose my desktop, let decide if i want to log into something, let me decide if i want to upload this and that, dont force me to sign up for this and that and im using a desktop because ive got **** to do, if i wanted to spend 4x the amount of time doing something, then i would use my phone, but as it is, no business or even your avg consumer want to drag out a simple task purely for the sake of having pretty interface.

And no, i didnt read the article, im merely having a whinge.:)

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    And I've found that on w8 I do stuff way faster then I could on 7... :eek:

17. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    talk about ALT+TAB in windows 8.1 ... omg instant crashes on my games
    also motherboard built in sound and microphones are not clear as windows 7

18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    well that is full on weird. Never have I had crash with alt tabbing on windows 8.1 and well I do not use motherboard sound or microphone but drivers possibly?

19. Terradorvite

Terradorvite Member

GPU:
    EVGA FTW GTX 1080
    Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 and Yuris revenge, Star Craft and Brood Wars, Delta Force and Delta Force 2, I still play those. Especially Yuris Revenge; tried multiple video drivers, windows xp compatibility, dropping res to stock which I force to 1080p. It ran like it was a running on my old Pentium 1. Even a reinstallation of w8 and 8.1 didnt help. Went to W7 and boom every game runs fine.