Windows 8

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by snowdweller, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S†v0r

S†v0r Banned

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
    lol are they lucky ones? :D

2. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    I've had easier shut down out-of-the-box from Windows 7 without extra fiddling; I'm just too spoiled. ;)

(and I did mention I have to duck under my desk if I want to reach my case's Power button)

No, it's not; really depends on the user.
    And how would you know it's 'multiple times faster'?
    I find that an exaggeration.
    For example, moving files in Win7 only requires a drag & drop.
    Extracting files in an archive only requires a drag & drop.

As you've said yourself, efficiency requires a good combination of both keyboard & mouse usage.
    That, I agree.
    But you somehow managed to put both keyboard & mouse on opposite edges of comparison.

Probably won't do much.
    I found my Steam copy of L.A. Noire always crashing out on start no matter which compatibility mode I've set, in which I think it's due to Rockstar's Social Club app.

3. Risco

Risco Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 650M
  4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC

5. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Too many clicks to shutdown? What happened to ALT+F4?

6. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    In Metro mode, I can't find the three icons in the top right corner of program window so to quit the program, I have to press ALT+F4 keys.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    lol, i didn't know there was three icons, i have just been doing the same as you.

I eventually re-installed Windows 7 as my HTPC partition, Metro being ontop of MediaPortal was annoying, and the automatic refresh rate changer didn't work, which is a big thing.
    In W8 23 and 24hz refresh rates did appear to be much more accurate compared to W7, but playback in MP or MPC-HC wasn't as smooth as W7 for some reason, and this was visible from the video and also from the onscreen stats.

Can't say i hated W8, but i did delete it with the feeling that Metro would be of little use to desktop users, and the desktop would be of little use to tablet users, and that it felt more like a modded ui for a tablet, than a brand new OS.

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Same here, had to use ALT F4 to kill programs, there is no way to exit gracefully with some apps.

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Windows 7 i feel is better than Windows 8,Microsoft pretty much nailed it with Win7 and i see no point in changing really until 128bit(*True*...not SR2 style BS like the Atari Jaguar) cpu architecture makes an appearance....Microsoft push out a new OS every 3 years,its part of what they do,doesnt mean its anygood though or better than its predecessor.

Lessons to be Learned from History
    Xp>Vista(even though i thought Vista was ok)
    98>ME

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I had no problems with Vista or ME.... I have no problem with Win8 either.

Considering 64bit adoption is STILL pathetically slow, I would not expect to see 128bit any time in the next decade or 2...

11. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Sure there is - you grab the topmost part of the program and drag it to the bottom of the screen - PRESTO! Closed.

Psychlone

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Does it, really close or go into the background?

13. David369

David369 Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX260(216) 896mb
    Ok, question: how do I edit/change boot options with Windows8?

I have a triple boot with XP32/Vista64/Win8 64, and would like to set it so that Vista is the default option. I know Bcdedit, but that's changed apparently, now when I power up the pc after the stupid fish logo I get a list of all three, then pick Vista and it reboots to load it.. (works but why reboot?)

It's an extra step, no problem, but I want to put Win8 on my grandpa's computer so he can try it, he's 81 and I need it to boot to his normal Vista by default, with Win8 as an option when he want's to...

Gold star for anyone that can answer this one! :)

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Install to different hard drives, with no other drive in the system at the time of install.
    To change OS, change the boot drive.

On many motherboards there is an option to select the boot device during POST.
    On mine, I press F5, Select Hard Disks, select the drive I want and it goes straight into Windows.
    The next time it boots, it will boot to whatever was set in the CMOS setup, not what was last selected with F5 boot, ideal for your Grandpa

15. Im2bad

Im2bad Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Because by the time you get to the OS selection screen, Windows 8 has already been loaded.

And dragging a Metro program down works, they close. Handy.

16. David369

David369 Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX260(216) 896mb
    So, Windows 8 has no “bcdedit” equivalent?

Just doesn’t make sense, and yes I know about the Bios stuff; how could I have installed this without it? I’m using one hard drive with 3 partitions…

The question still stands: How to manage the Win8 boot config?

See you guys later, it’s Battlefield time!

17. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I just used this.
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Visual-BCD.shtml

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    EasyBCD latest beta also good for editing boot options.

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    OK this is just a consumer preview, but I'm finding some major annoyances with it which I hope to god dont make it to the final.

I like the start page, its grown on me. But they better find some quick and easy way to close the apps and not let them linger on. Dragging it from the top corner to bottom to close it sounds silly when a small x or right click should be sufficient. PDF reader is borked. There is no option to change text size in it, lol. Big fail there. You cant even close the app without a few jiu jitsu moves, you have to move to bottom corner to recall start page then back to top to close the app. Another fail. Installed Foxit to take over PDF reading and set its association with pdf files, but Windows pdf reader still opens (alongside Foxit).

I'm just messing with 8 for an hour or so a day but feel relieved when I boot back to 7. Havent tried any games yet and frankly not too interested, its not like I expect to be wowed by any performance gains or anything.

20. aka2k

aka2k Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GS
    Little help: how do I change icon spacing in Windows 8 CP? There isn't anymore the advanced options in the menu where you choose the windows color.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.