Windows 8

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by snowdweller, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    I think something went wrong with my w8 moving to snother hdd. It keeps giving me w8 cant boot error something.

Anyway forget it. Now pls tell me.

As i upgraded from w7. How on earth i will do a clean install pls?

I have w8 pro. So do i need install w7 and then w8? Dman joke

2. MamaLuigi

MamaLuigi New Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 SSC
  3. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    MamaLuigi, thanx for the info man.

By the way. My old, 40 gb ssd seems like working again. I plugged and mobo sees it.

40 gb is enough for w8 pro bros?

edit: i took my chances and installed via usb..at the end of the installation it isad pls remove usb etc. and restart..now i did what it said and restarted but only thing i see is just a windows 8 logo and spinning circle since 20 minutes.

man i didnt go to office for this today.

and in bios i use AHCI option..is it correct option?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  4. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    if you happened to find a technet or msdn windows 8 pro iso, you can use upgrade key for a full install if there is a already operating system installed without any registry changes.

just boot the computer with the cd and run the installer

I read it is different for iso from microsoft store site

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012

5. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    Tried it couple of times liked and disliked, it a bit faster than 7 overall. gaming performance are the same, but for me it seems that there was a deal breaker. i play Tekken 6 via JPCSP emulator and it works good on 7, but poorly on 8, other than few BSOD caused by nVidia driver probs, the OS is good.

Looking for reason to come back to 8 again, but meh.

6. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    I downloaded wındows 8 ınstaller. Downloaded w8, and created a usb stick mit works.

My problem is, after setup, windows hangs,on the boot screen. An infinite loop of that progress circle keeps circling.

I called wife and asked and it ismstill circling metf man lol.

7. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    I was using the preview since two months ago, really like it. Ordered mine like 3 days ago and installed windows 7 first then upgraded using the assistant. I also ordered the DVD for windows 8 pro, all for 30 dollars with a special offer they had!, great deal there!

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I just received my SSD and intel already has a software for it - its called data migration software, guess I worried for nothing :)

9. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    why is 64bit explorer starting instead of 32bit?

I even went to programfile(86) and started and it started in 64bit mode.

but correct me if I wrong..

when running explorer in 32bit mode, it will show the 32bit next to it in task manager right?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  10. arketah

arketah New Member

GPU:
    dell
    Just using Xp but also excited to use window 8 because i heard a lot about the popularity and features of this window.

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I really love this program called "Classic Shell", I have version 3.6.3

I installed only the start menu, and as you can see, A START MENU!!

It is so customizable, you can use the Windows 2000 type menu, or the Windows XP type menu or the Windows Vista / 7.. Type Menu.. It is just so cool..

You can even skip seeing the default Windows Start Screen Menu when turning on your Computer.. I haven't tried that myself yet but I'm pretty sure I saw the option in the settings.

What a fantastic program, and It's free..

[​IMG]

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Yes it was discussed earlier :) It looks even better on the release preview of Windows 8 because of the Aero Glass effects.

13. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    I still think it's odd how people seem to see a lack of transparency as some sort of drastic step back in the overall design of an OS. It's as if you NEEDED transparency to use the OS. Like you used Windows XP and thought "Damn.... if ONLY i could see what was behind the edge of this window, or behind my start menu.... this OS would be SOOOOOOO much easier to use."

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Is there any way to uninstall the Windows Store App?

I've uninstalled every other app.. just that one left.

*edit*

Found a guide on how to disable it, but not remove it... No Microsoft.. no.. I will kill Windows Store now *__*

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Aero glass isn't simple transparency, it's alpha blended :)

Whilst you are correct that not having it doesn't impede functionality, looks do count. If you had two versions of the same computer case (same functionality), one that looked really good and the other like crap, you would choose the one that looks really good, right? If it wasn't about the aesthetics of the case, you would quite happily purchase either. The same goes for anything else in life, cars, houses... women/men.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I customized the Start Menu Icon so now it looks like the Windows 7 Start Menu Icon~

So happy with this now..

[​IMG]

17. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    Well... you seem to be looking at the whole thing as if it were two of the same case... but one had a gigantic dent in the top of it. This is more like trying to figure out if you'd prefer brushed aluminum or polished aluminum on your case. And i'd have to say i'd probably go with whatever one was cheaper.... because just like with transparency, i'd probably not even notice it was there after a short time. Hell, sometimes i forget just how freakin massive my case is.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I installed win8 on SSD and wow it boots up in 3-4 seconds :)

But i have one question about intel AHCI driver, im still at sata2 so my max read is up to ~ 270mb, but by 4k Q32 write (crystalmark) there are some variations?

Its ok In win7 with matrix driver, but in win8 same driver it literally halfs 4k Q32 write speeds? Is this matrix driver not compatible yet? I saw its some older one 8.9.8.1005, newer ones - rapid storage doesnt work?? Im at AHCI + native mode, do i need to disable native mode to get it working?
    Well I saw I need to disable native mode to update firmware. >> Im using AHCI+native because it gives the max speeds by read/write tests..

EDIT: nvm i found IntelRapidStorage 9.6 driver and all is ok now :)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  19. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    The 2 different IE's definitely confused my co worker who just got a new laptop. He didn't understand why the new IE doesn't support Flash. I explained it to him but not sure if he did anything about it. I did notice it's weird that if you want desktop IE on startmenu, you kinda have to manually go to that particular exe in the explorer and add it to it, otherwise it just gives you Metro IE shortcut all the time. I told him to just download Chrome or something.

20. colorblindnejc

colorblindnejc Active Member

GPU:
    HD5770
    Kept happening to me after booting up... So I rebooted the pc via the reset button and kept trying till it worked (usualy worked the next time). I think it also helps if you dont login the same second as windows boots up ...

Lately it seemed to stop and now it works just fine, windows update happened i guess :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.