Windows 8

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by snowdweller, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ok thanks, I validated the cache yesterday but didnt try it yet. :)

ALT+F4 while on desktop will bring up power off menu.

or Windows key+ I

About restart, maybe you also had some Windows updates waiting to be installed and now windows 8 automatically restarts your pc after 2-3 days to install them.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    All you need to do is reset your Nvidia panel to defaults :)

I had that problem and then a much worse one. My GPU stopped showing up or working but my monitor still worked connected to it. I had to uninstall the Intel HD4000 driver for some reason and then all was cool.

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I found this to be useful.

Found the directory for the "all apps" screen in the start menu.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

I went through and deleted all the unneeded shortcuts so only the program shortcuts are left.. They are all shortcuts, safe to delete the unneeded ones, You can even make your own folders and put shortcuts in there and they will show in the "all apps" start screen page.

I was getting confused looking for programs because of all the extra shortcuts some programs install, This way I can find some of the stuff in there a little easier xD

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I found that programs that keep ini files in their program directory, ie, MPC-HC, wont retain settings because 8 wont allow writes to anything in the program files folder. You need to set permissions to 'full control' in the file properties security tab to allow it.

5. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    So far a a few of my games are incompatible with win8 the games for windows live games don't work at all?Luckily i have kept win7 on another partition.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I saw someone saying Dirt3 doesnt work in win8, well it does here without a problem (retail).

I didnt have to reinstall the game either, i just coped my saved games to win8 mydocuments/mygames/Dirt3 folder and programdata/Dirt3 folder.

Installed gfwl and rapture3d and viola works like a charm :), my savegames work too, all i had to do is re-enter my cdkey in gfwl profile, that's it.

Re5 works ok too, same trick like Dirt3, re-enter ck-key in gfwl. :)

Also crysis2 (retail), just re-entered cdkey to re-activate, saves etc got preserved, again i just coped savegames to the same locations as in win7 and kept my old install.

But origin is a stupid pain, It wants to re-download BF3 -_- i pinpointed and installed Origin to the same win7 partition but it just doesnt want to register installed game(s). I copied all origin folders, programdata, appdata/local and roaming,.. nothing, steam ftw!

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    What about in Registry Editor, is something in there you may need to enter. Im not overly adept at such a thing but just a suggestion.

Also sometimes like with S.T.A.L.K.E.R(rip) games, some files get saved to the public folder under Users, also with F.E.A.R too i think.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  8. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Nvm ..

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2012
  9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Strangest thing to happen so far was that I restarted and when I went to log in it logged me in with a temporary account, I restarted again and I could sign in to my normal account.. whut the fudge microsoft xD

Fixed the Creative Console Launcher forgetting the settings.

Driver SBXF_PCDRV_WIN8_BETA_US_2_18_0015A

And the BETA version Creative Console Launcher CSL_PCAPPBETA_LB_2_61_49

I'm all good now, Everything else is perfect, Games work fine, and Adobe Photoshop CS5 works perfect.

Upgrading from Vista, I think it was worth it.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I didnt do anything in registry, maybe i would have to for Origin games (BF3) though..

11. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    The problem i am having for games for widows live games is they launch but i can't get the top screen to open to sign in my account the home button doesn't work or the xbox controller key

12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Great tip, KissSh0t, thanks.

The All Apps list really is a pain to navigate through by default as there are no sub-folders which would have made it more like the All Programs menu from Windows 7/Vista, albeit horizontal rather than vertical.

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Games for Windows LIVE works fine for me here but then I did an upgrade from Windows 7 with all my settings and application intact. I'm also using an outlook.com address which I upgraded from my hotmail.com one several months ago. All I had to do was to create a new account with outlook.com address instead of the hotmail.com one and Games for Windows LIVE picked up my existing profile and used that from then on.

I'd suggest downloading the latest Games for Windows redistributable from the Xbox.com website and then uninstalling the existing version and reinstalling the new one you've downloaded.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    One minor issue I'm having is that Steam, which has always been set to boot with Windows, is not signing in. It complains there is no connection even though Origin can sign in, no problems (kind of ironic really as with Windows 7, it was always the other way round!). If I then launch Steam manually from the Quickbar then it signs in and display my library with no problems. As far as I'm aware I have no connection problems as the Stores and Start screen apps plus browsing and email all work flawlessly.

Anyone know why Steam isn't signing in on boot up when Origin is?

15. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    BF3 woks fine on W8 for all?
    It crashes at start on my system. Genuine version, patched :bang:

16. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Thanks for the info all working fine now.

17. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Can anyone else with Dead Space 1 and Windows 8 test something out for me?

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have Dead Space carried over from my Windows 7 install, Wanny, so what is it you wanted to know?

Also, found this handy tip: Windows 8 has its own screenshot feature - hold down the Windows key and press PrtScn to dump a picture to a Pictures/Screenshots folder. Sounds handy for those games that don't play well with Afterburner, e.g. the retail disc version of L.A. Noire. Images are stored in the PNG format though.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  19. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Okay I have a bug where my screenshots appear all dark from Dead Space. The only program that will capture it correctly is FRAPS. All those other D3D capture softwares will appear dark. Do you have this bug too? I tested a lot of other games and they all come out correctly. It's just Dark Space...

Thanks a lot man.

About that windows 8 screenshot feature, are you sure that it capture games? When I tried it, it only seemed to capture the desktop behind. EDIT: Well look at that. Only Dead Space won't work with the Win8 capture too! Haha

All I wanted is to catch some SweetFX Dead Space and nothing is possible right now!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2012
  20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I haven't tried the Windows 8 screenshot feature yet, Wanny, so I'll take your word for it that it only takes desktop shots. Shame really.

If I remember I'll try taking a screenshot from Dead Space with Afterburner later and report back. It's the first game, right, not the second one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.