Windows 8

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by snowdweller, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    The NVIDIA drivers given through windows update are indeed v306.97.. Confirm it yourself by opening up NVIDIA control panel and clicking System Information bottom left.. or running GPU-Z

2. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    exactly. iam using W8 with my new laptop since 1 day and it is awesome. very smooth. iam getting used it.

actually i want W8 in my gaming pc too pls. the metro ui is just perfect. which it was here years ago.

3. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 oc
    Everything is working very smoothly here the installation went fine but i didn't allow win8 to update my drivers i got them from the asus site and cleaned installed Nvidias latest beta driver.After getting used to it it's actually very good more responsive than win7 and start up time is a lot faster.No problems at all so far everything seems to be working flawlessly.

4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Is there a place to buy w8 digitally and download an ISo or what ever it is? I'm to talking about upgrade edition. I want a windows 8 standalone .

In Turkey MS website there is only upgrade edition.

5. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070

have you tried the oct 25 drivers from creatives website?.

they fix the sound problem and setting problem for me.

6. colorblindnejc

colorblindnejc Active Member

GPU:
    HD5770
    Had the same problem...
    What you wanna do is install W7 drivers for your netword card and u have to set compatibility mode for W7 aswell (as did i).

Works flawless now... Oh and im guessing you have an onboard Marvell card... Dont install the W8 update for it, if you do that it stops working again :D

7. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 8GB
    I have found the real culprit that causes my "metro not responding" problem: Xfire! :puke2:

I was doing a reinstall on another computer and i checked Metro's behaviour after each program install, it kept hanging when Xfire was running in the background. Exiting Xfire and i can use Metro once again.
    Starting Xfire again and all Metro tiles become unresponsive, even the charm bar gets disabled.

Damn BS, bye bye game hour tracking. Spent days figuring this crap out. :finger:

EDIT: Confirmed it again like 3x. Xfire causing trouble. :)

EDIT2: Indeed, this is on their own forums as well: http://forums.xfire.com/showthread.php/266216-Windows-8-support

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  8. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    If you upgrade with the upgrade tool you can use it to download an iso and do a clean install.

9. Bhaal

Bhaal Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB OC

I remember doing that .. but did not work. Will try again. However i tried the new Windows 8 Marvell drivers.. still no luck...

10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    hmm. is it?
    so it validates that if i have a W7, and uncle MS will cut off the price of W8 ?

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
  12. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 oc
    How exactly can you do a clean install with the upgrade version i would to know if it is possible.When i grabbed the upgrade offer i thought i was getting an iso and i clean installed win8 and when i was up and running i used the serial they sent me to activate windows and a got a message that this serial can't be used with a clean install.

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Just found 'em before I saw your post actually! Thanks anyway! Good to know that these work! :D

I'm impressed with how little I've had to do to get Windows 8 set up. Granted, I chose to keep my settings and applications/games but I haven't had to install any drivers except for these sound ones. Everything is setup and configured, including my Xbox 360 controller, Razer Mamba 2012 mouse and MEKA G-UNIT keyboard. I haven't even had to install any chipset or RST drivers either. I've pretty much got exactly the same setup as my Windows 7 install with the minimum of effort, albet with the new Start screen and minus the gadgets (which will be missed but not as much as expected as I've just realised how much more desktop space I have). :D

14. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    The key can be used from a clean install. I have done it myself yesterday. 100% confirmed. The upgrade assistant tool allows you to save the iso and install it to a usb drive.

If you can't do that then follow these instructions.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/

This will work for Windows 8, it is the method I used but you will need to source a copy of windows 8. Torrent perhaps.

15. Bhaal

Bhaal Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB OC
    Thanks i just tried a 2009 driver and it works...

16. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 oc

The upgrade assistant tool allowed me to save the iso and i installed it to a usb drive.Then i formatted my hd and i did a clean install of win8 but it's not activated and when i use my key in win8 it tells me that i can;t use this key for a clean install.So you are saying the downloaded iso i got is different than the retail version?If i manege to get hold of a retail copy and use my key on a clean install will it activate it or will i get the same message?

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    X-Fi Titanium HD audio is now working great with the 25/10/2012 drivers, although I didn't have audio at first. Fortunately, I ran the Creative Diagnostics Tool and heard audio in the speaker test so I checked the Sound control panel and found that the X-Fi card was not set as the default device. Once I did that I got my audio back. Thank goodness, as the silence has been driving me mad for the past day!

18. crap daddy

crap daddy Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    Don't know why it would not activate. Was there an OS on your HDD when you began installation of Win8? Because an upgrade needs to have a previous OS installed. I installed from a DVD created from the ISO over the release preview, formatting the drive. The key was required during installation and then when online it automatically activated.

19. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 oc
    There was an OP on my SSD Win 7 but i did a secure erase using parted magic before installation.So if i have win 7 installed and boot up with the Win8 iso do i choose a custom install or upgrade (i have never used the upgrade option before) does upgrade allow you to format the SSD before installing?

20. crap daddy

crap daddy Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    This is what I did with the release preview and it should be the same with Win7.
    I booted from the ISO DVD. It behaves like a retail and when prompted to choose where to install I selected the partition my release preview was on, choose format and that's all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.