Windows 8

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by snowdweller, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    How is it a step backwards in terms of use??? Parts of Metro are a rip-off of Gnome3....

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Metro is an interface designed for tablets and phones and other devices that have touchscreens. It is not well suited for normal laptop or desktop use because the use of the system is different.

Desktop view is much more suited for desktop/laptop use. The start menu is something which is very useful, but only if its managed correctly. It allows easy access, something which is less intuitive with the metro design. The real downside with the start menu is organisation; if you just install programs and leave all the folders and links in place, it can get very messy and be harder to find things. Once managed, such as deleting unnecessary folder links and shortcuts, it becomes very useful. By unnecessary folder links I mean the folders that are created that just have the one program icon in it, or have 'useless' links like uninstall links etc which are better managed through the control panel. I organise mine into 'Miscellaneous', 'Utilities', 'Games', 'Office' (I put adobe acrobat reader etc in there too) and it makes for easy navigation.

After seeing and remembering some of the messes of start menu's that some people have, and is most likely for a 'typical' user, its no wonder Microsoft is getting rid of it.

3. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I've been using Win8 for quite some time now - dedicated a laptop to it months and months ago, along with a big touchscreen monitor (to see just how the touch interface really works).

Like most of us that aren't "stuck" in old ways, I have adapted just fine. The only thing that I have missed is the easy search, which is a bit of a shame because the immediate search bar on Win7 (Start Orb > type something) was REALLY efficient and didn't realign the caret focus to a different screen than you were just looking at - unlike Metro which requires you to swipe or click the Search Charm, opening the full Metro UI and losing the caret focus in the process.

It's apparent that MS wants to push this, and that's really fine by me. Adapt or die, and as long as they're in charge of 95% of the world's operating system, they're going to lead in whatever direction they determine to be best... Count on Windows 9 having more touch interface than 8 already does, and I wouldn't hold my breath for the start menu to return there either.

But, as a few here have mentioned alternate third-party "Start Menu" options, not enough has been said about Start8 from Stardock.

It puts a Start Orb icon in the lower left corner which we're all used to seeing, but when you click it, it brings up a smaller version of the MetroUI. Even though the caret focus has been moved into the Metro UI, you can still see some of the window you were just on above and to the side of the new, smaller Metro UI that Start8 introduces.

Really, for me, it's more about the search function being easy to get to. I've found that my efficiency has increased 20-fold by just searching for what I need rather than the old, long way of opening folder after folder in a set rhythm, drilling deeper and deeper until I finally get to what I'm looking for. Windows 7 has a GREAT search function that just works. Type in 3 words that are together in ANYTHING (from a random email to a .docx file to ???) and you're presented with search results that ONLY have those 3 words.
    Windows 8 is even faster but still presents the search results in a non-intuitive manner. If they only changed the way search results were presented, it would be much more efficient. (for instance, when searching for a specific file, using 3 words that I know are together in the document, I'm presented with "No applications match your search...", but on the far right, (2) Files, causing me to have to click yet again to get to what I'm looking for.
    This is a caret focus problem that really should be addressed before release, and I've made mention of it to MS devs themselves. I don't need the Start Menu back in it's old form, but they took something that worked perfectly and created a scenario that requires more clicks to get at what I need.

I suppose I'll just have to adapt... or die.

Psychlone

4. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Psychlone your just the post I have been waiting for. Win 8 to seems to be geared towards a Tablet/Touch Screen environment.
    Seeing as you have the equipment did it seem more intuitive? Easier to navigate having the touch screen`?
    The GUI to me seems to be the weakness for regular desktop usage with a regular mouse and keyboard.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The search "feature" in Win8 can be accessed by simply typing.... No need to click on anything. If you're looking at the Start screen and need to find firefox.....simply type "Firefox". There's no need to click on anything first.

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I'm pretty sure we'll be able to make 8 look and behave like 7 pretty easily. There is already a mad rush by 3rd party tweak apps to do just that and even if MS were to try to block them from doing so (which I think are only half-hearted attempts at best), they will still succeed.

7. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Not if the code isn't there for them to hijack...

I find it funny that people now think the old Windows 2.0 interface is actually usable, because thats EXACTLY what Metro is. For a mouse, its a piece of junk.

I know developers like me also HATE the Windows store, as we either have to recode our software to include a Metro interface, or we can't be featured. So either we have to eat a ton of money for a UI update, or potentially lose business to a "featured" rival. After .COM, MFC, ATL, and every other standard MS has come up with over the years, we finally get a good one [.NET], and MS promptly abandons it. Typical.

You have no idea how much I as a developer want Windows 8 to fail.

8. Teko

Teko Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    I really don't see why people insist on "making it look like 7". I've been primarily running Windows 8 RP on my laptop (separate partition) and I feel if you use it regularly for a couple of weeks you'll learn the new navigational features and breeze right through the OS. The metro Start Screen is actually pretty cool. I like how you can drag the live tiles to separate sections and name the category. It's really no different than the lost feeling you had when you first saw Office 2007/2010---at first you're thinking WTF, but after learning the features you'll grow to like/love it.

Honestly, the only thing that bugs me is the fact that you have to swap to another metro app or return to the start screen, before you have the option to close the app you were working in.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    You're a "developer" and don't know how to write code to implement a start menu without the code being present within the OS? Guess it's time to go back and learn something useful.....

10. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    What they current workarounds do is enable the themes that still exist within the Windows code. Thats all. MS, by all accounts, is ripping that code out of windows. So what you'd essentially have to do is completely re-code and replace explorer.exe, which no one is going to do.

11. blitze

blitze Member Guru

GPU:
    Power Color 4870 1GB PCS+
    Used Beta for a while with Win 8.

Looked at the PR version and I liked the desktop for usage but I have to say - I hate Metro. If I can get support for my printing equipment and audio hardware and hack the start button back in then I would be fine with going to Windows 8.

As it is I don't like Aero either and I think the minimalist nature of Win 8 desktop is great as is the implementation of ribbon in Windows Explorer (I know, surprised myself to be saying it).

For now for work purposes, it is back to Windows 7. As I said, when RME Babyface Drivers for 8 come available and I have upgraded my production Digital Xerox Printer to a newer supported machine, then I will have a look again. Maybe even get in on the $40 deal and sit on it till I can use it but Metro Tile Interface and Windows Shop can piss off.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    If you're too lazy or don't know how to do the work then don't whine about a feature that research has shown to be losing the interest of a majority of consumers, being removed.

13. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    I have everything installed as I do on windows 7 and some of my games load faster in windows 8 then windows 7... I just started playing farcry and the loading times are faster in windows 8 then windows 7.

Iam starting to like windows 8 as it does seem faster on some things. and the sync feature is nice too. I think Im going to give my support for windows 8.

14. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    8 is snappy, what i hate is all the Hovering and extra clicks. its like Hover, wait, click, click, click.
    instead of Click, click. lol

Also, it might just be me, but on my big 40", when i hover over charms and try to move my mouse down over settings, i sometimes veer off to the left too much and lose the charms menu and have to go back to corner and hover again. that alone for me is very disturbing...plus charms doesn't have much on it, at least nothing else i can use besides settings panel and that's only to shut down.

15. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    That's a slow method.

16. bodean

bodean Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970
    L O L :bang::bang::bang:

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    A search feature that's accessed simply by typing is slower than clicking on the start menu first???

Exactly what is so funny that it warranted a response nearly a month later?

18. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Probably takes awhile to process on some lesser-minded beings.

19. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    is there any way to put classic theme for windows 8?
    no option for this in windows 8 only win7 :/

[​IMG]

20. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    wish there is a way to make my W7 HP to look like W8 metro style desktop or what ever it is. i am currently using a touchscreen monitor so it would work nicely :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.