Windows 8 vs Windows 7..whats the current state of gaming on the new Os?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by KingpinZero, Jan 1, 2013.

1. adrock311

adrock311 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
  2. Iruwen

Iruwen Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
  3. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    On my end Borderlands 2 performs better with Physx on win 7 rather than 8, and JPCSP emulator which i use perform poor on 8 but great on 7.

4. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    Thanks alot, pretty extensive and complete post, the thing im looking for. Thanks ;)

Woah mate, thanks a billion! Very complete and informative post, couldnt ask for a better recap. Thanks alot again!

Thanks mate, also great post. I think that you guys have the complete replies so far. I hope this thread helps other peoples as well :)

5. DJ_Casper

DJ_Casper Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 FE
    Empty words. Bring us real facts!

6. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 980Ti SLI
    +1 on this. made my own comments based on the fps captures for the games that I have myself. What I have written above were based on a single GFX card with the exception of AC3 and FC3 which were on SLI.

What is a fact is that people who disliked the interface in Windows 8 seem to strive to hate the OS and become very biased against it without really testing the OS more than 20mins. The only reason I picked up win8 pro is due to work handing me a free product key.

My POV. If you have Win7 it's not a great gain to go to Win8. Only bug I have is hibernate mode myself. For the FPS hungry people who want to squeeze every bit more out of their rig then I would say to upgrade, especially if you are a first person shooter fan. Only game I experienced as a disaster in win 8 is sleeping dogs. Max detail isn't possible without the actual world disappearing on you.

All in all, there is very little gain. But most certainly hardly any loss without the exception of 1 game from my experience. I assume this will be fixed if not already done. My biggest love of win 8 was not gaming improvement itself but the sheer load time speed of the OS itself and games/applications.

7. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    Ok since ive started the thread asking, ive got enough informations to install 8 myself, which i did yesterday and finalized it today.
    So heres my recap:

- The smoothness of the os is outstanding, and MetroUI/explorer optimizations are welcome addictions. Ive got used fast to modern ui even without start button since you partially have one by right clicking on the lowest spot of the taskbar. Also you can configure it as you wish using a third party app called Win 8 X menu editor here: http:// winaero. com/download.php?view.21 (remove spaces).

- It boots fast as advertised by other users, but i cant really say if its faster than my previous os. Im on a fast ssd for os so maybe the difference isnt that noticiable.

- The os is very very stable. Even if an app crashes or gives problems i feel it handles them separately speaking of priority much like some real multitasking.

- I had an issue during first installation, where newer nvidia drivers installed on top of the shipped ones but it gave me a black screen on reboot. After using the refresh option of the os, ive reinstalled all the things it removed, then unistalled the drivers in controlpanel and installed them as usual. Bingo, all good.

- GFWL games are perfectly fine. TBH i had less issues with 8 than i had with 7. Profiles synched fine, downloaded datas and it was ready to use. Copying the backup of the xlive folder didnt brought any issues and alll my dlcs are there.

- Performance gaming wise is without doubt incremented, althought ive tested only some games:
    AC3 with same settings is smoother and less prone to stuttering or lag. In the same section i was playing under 7, i was having some fps drops (night scene with snow storm, very beginning of the act 2 i guess?). 8 manages to keep framerates to 60 with less juddering.
    Crazy Taxi 3, Hydro Thunder, NFS Most Wanted (althought botched as hell) are fine, they run as intended even if the first two are really old games from win 98/Xp era. No needed to set compatibility options.

- GPU oc works as before. +100/+300 stock voltages. Same goes for the cpu.

- Emulators were my main concern, but everything is fine as ever.
    Tested Dolphin,PCSX2,Demul,Makaron,NullDCE,Mame,Type X2 and many others. All good.

- Steam and Origin are ok, games loads up fine and plays fine as before (Dirt 3, Shift 2 etc)

- My heavily modded Skyrim works fine, even with AO and ENB custom filters. So ENB is fine to use.

- Of the dosbox/gog games i have, ive tested only Carmageddon and Splat Pack. Hardware mode/3dfx mode works perfectly fine as before without launchers or patches. So for now Dosbox is ok. Gonna test screamer later and some more oldies. Edit: scrramer and sr2 are also fine.

Thats my small recap. So far i didnt had any issues with all games or apps i had on except the general feeling is much more better. And i like the new menu, the multitasking, the fact you can resize the desktop while using other apps, and the store.

Good good job microsoft :) Thanks to everyone!

EDIT: its for sure a placebo, i going to say this first, but i noticed that the input lag has dramatically decreased in Most Wanted 2012. Its more responsive and usable where i had issues before.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  8. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix RTX 2070
    Glad you're up and running on Windows 8 and enjoying it. I have been using it since launch and I wouldn't go back to 7, not that there was anything wrong with 7.

9. Rusty_

Rusty_ Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 TI
    Everyone complaining about Windows 8's interface: get classic shell

I don't use the metro UI at all, and windows 8 is much, much faster overall for me.

10. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    windows 8 dont like me

11. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    8 is nice indeed. Gaming wise feels smoother, but I never actually compared fps, loads for 1/3 of the time 7 needed. People spit hate about the start screen but I fail to see why - consider it as a big start menu, thats pretty much it - you can use it just like you used start menu in 7 and before, with the added comfort of it being big, allowing to group stuff you want easy mouse access to, and keyboard search works just as good.

Someone mentioned that UAC can't be completely disabled like in 7 - it can, done today, but a wee bit more involving:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709691(v=ws.10).aspx check out the "To disable Admin Approval Mode" section

12. Straykatt

Straykatt Maha Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    I'm still running vista 64. I never used 7... I'm curious with windows 8, is there any links of tutorials for usage with windows 8? I'm considering windows 8 also.

13. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    just installed fresh windows 8 x64 pro wmc, smooth as butter gaming, i know i have amd, but i imagine nvidia is far superior in windows 8 gaming and not only, so...i vote windows 8 ftw.! skyrim all max, 20 mods, steady 60fps...finally :D

desktop have superior image quality, more crisp especially the ingame text...:nerd:

14. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    I dont know why but some reason windows 8 has blurry text,its not as sharp looking as it is on windows 7.

IE would have really unsharp text in windows 8 along with firefox and chrome

I tried adjust cleartype. but it didnt make a difference.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  15. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    strange wddm 1.2 w8 makes text at least twice as sharp and detailed than wddm 1.1 on w7, maybe it's driver related problem and/or monitor/tv driver.

16. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    Im thinking it could be hdmi related. my asus monitor only has hdmi or rgb. so.......im stuck with it.. wish it would it had a dvi connection instead

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    hmm idk, i was on DVI and when i switched to HDMI i noticed the same sharper txt in general (both win7 & 8)

18. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    might of been my monitors settings... I just finished calibration it. too many different setting..

it like going to the eye doctor.

a or b

2 or 3

19. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Turbo 24G
    Windows 8 is alot like 7, but the kernel has definitely been optimized. If you look in Task Manager you will see something new in the process list (called Details now) where it will Suspend apps (kind of like on mobile OS's which makes sense since the Surface also runs win8). It also seems to handle plug and play of USB devices even better than win7 (which was already pretty good).

They improved UI responsiveness, but they also removed Aero (you will still see it on the taskbar) to help mitigate the resource drain.

I'm running win8 on my ivy bridge desktop and also on my old hp laptop and both run great. The older laptop especially runs win8 faster than it did win7.

The only issue I've encountered is that the old usb Bluetooth adapter i have doesn't have Win8 drivers. Windows 8 installed a stock microsoft driver, but something with the default stack made it not find devices. I ended up buying a new one for $15 on amazon (its bluetooth 4.0 so its an upgrade anyway). I use the bluetooth to connect a wiimote for the Dolphin emulator, so it was kind of annoying, but im still very happy with Windows 8.

20. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti
    For what it's worth.

Install = went smooth, nothing much to say, Pretty easy. Win 8 X64

Drivers = The installer installed its own drivers for my nic and sound card. Recognized sound card as a c-media and installed a basic driver for it. Needless to say I had lots of pops and crackles. Quick trip to Asus and installed the win 8 drivers and all issues where resolved. The network driver was also sub optimal so installed the new Win 8 driver and it has worked perfect since.

Gaming = Well not much to say here. I play lots of FPS, as well as WoW "Yeah I know!" much smoother than Win 7 ever was. I really see it at lower FPS but it also can be felt in the mouse. The mouse tracking feels much better to me, closer to Win XP's mouse acceleration. I'm also seeing higher frame rates "Same driver" as I was in Win 7 Pro X64.

Desktop = the new desk top took around a half hour to find everything, after that it was smooth sailing and I like it better that Win 7. Much smoother and faster.

Pros = Much faster UI with same hardware and drivers.
    Desktop much quicker.
    Has played every game faster that Win 7.
    No Issues with any Apps so far.
    Seems to handle memory a little better.
    Boots much faster!

Cons = Win 8 will work with some Win 7 drivers but not all.
    Sound system appears to be sensitive to bad drivers.
    Tools are inaccurate showing high MB latency's, when none exists.

Jmho.