Windows 8 UI is dropping the 'Start' button

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Many people hate change, they also hate feeling like a newbie again and not knowing where anything is so I can understand this.

I’m sure nothing will be drastically changed when it comes to the desktop side of things as I think we are quite a while away before office work is done on tablets, and even if it does I know I will hate it at first then grown to like it, just like every major OS change I’ve moaned about for the past 15 years.

Windows8 is looking good to me though, and since I’ve heard about many performance enhancements it sounds like a lot more than cosmetic changes to me.

It’s not like W7 was a huge jump over Vista SP1 anyway.

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    uhm the 80's and early 90's didnt look like that. that would be windows 2 or 3.
    besides its a theme, so if you dont like it you can change it ?
    reminds me of win2k users when xp came out.

3. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    Because removing the start menu is not a drastic change, right?
    Meh...looks like I'm going to be using Win 7 for a really long time.

4. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    This. Don't change the basic functions that people are really familiar with, that's makes people uncomfortable.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Amusing. If Microsoft keeps the same interface, people complain that it's too similar and they are just money grubbing by releasing the same OS every 2 years. They take a radically new approach (which btw, if you used for more than a couple minutes you'll see it's actually pretty good) and other people complain it's too different.

The consumer preview is supposed to be released sometime this month. Try it out - for longer than a day - and see if you like it.

6. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Exactly..
    That was the main reason why I was avoiding Win7 in the beginning. Just couldn't stand the "new style" taskbar..
    There are things in the OS, that just shouldn't be changed..

Got a Windows Developer Preview here, will install it today on VMPlayer to check it out..

7. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    No, because its not removed just hidden and changed to these hot corner things.

The article i read on PCBeta which is what this article says hidden, doesn't mentioned removed.

I will force myself to use any new GUI anyway, as no point living in the past just because its easy or comfortable.

In the past i was very resistant to XP after using 98 for so long, i was wrong about that.
    Same with Vista/W7 after years XP and i was wrong about that too.

8. Pilgrim1942

Pilgrim1942 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 470
    Here's an innovative thought for y'all! ;)

Why not just strip away all that bloat, and allow us to get down and dirty with DOS once more, but this time allow it to recognise 3Tb HD's and unlimited amounts of memory, as well as 64-bit instructions? :)

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Why? Because ignorance is bliss? The way people interact with computers changes all the time. You need new interface paradigms to deal with that. Touch is future, whether you like it or not - Microsoft needs to adapt their interface or die. Every other major OS is doing the same - why would you think Microsoft should stagnate?

10. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    No, because if there are some "inovative minds" at Microsoft, it doesn't mean everyone is fine with this.
    Imho, they can do whatever they want with the UI, AS LONG there's still an option to use the old UI, that's familiar to everybody..

11. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Your never going to please everyone though, things have to progress, and some people will just have to be left behind if retro is what they want, you only have to look at how many stubborn XP users are still around.

I have been seeing the same things for over a decade now, with the release of every new operating system the majority moan about the new styling and how they won't upgrade, but eventually most embrace it and do.

12. Zboe

Zboe Master Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 970
    I'm not getting rid of W7 unless MS makes it so that DX12 can't be loaded onto it.

There is no point in switching "just because" on a gaming rig.

13. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    ill use it before i bitch

dont think im gonna like it much at first

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Honestly I hated it at first. It wasn't till I got used to being able to quickly snap to the start menu and then to the application I was looking for on the tile screen before I began to see why they made the changes they did. It also helps reading the Windows 8 blog where they explain a lot of why they did certain things and what is coming - most of the issues I have with it now are already fixed in the internal builds (layout issues and stuff). What's even nicer though is the keyboard integration - it's super easy to find what you're looking for without ever having to touch the mouse.

I've had it installed on my laptop since the developers preview launched and I refuse to switch off it, it's simply a better layout previous versions of Windows. The only thing that I'm concerned about is the theme, it's ugly. I'm sure they will have multiple ones but as of right now they don't and the color scheme is just not my cup of tea.

15. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Sure it did.

Stark, flat and mono-colored.

See the VIC20, C64, C128 and early AmigaOS releases for example.

As for themes that's a nice idea but it hasn't worked so well in practice since XP. I ran XP in 2K look and that worked just fine, pushing 7 into 2K just makes it looks like ass, unfortunately.

Luckily I'm content with default look in 7, once I've turned off all Aero features and minimized the UI elements anyway.
    No, it really doesn't.

The problem with this 'touch revolution' is that it's forced, not natural.

Both companies and consumers are very keen to replace the keyboard and mouse, to the point that they aren't stopping to consider whether the alternatives are really better.

It's a lot of change for the sake of change.

Tablets, and touch interfaces/devices in general, certainly have their place but this notion that we'll all be doing work on them in the near future is absolute rubbish.

Being able to is a novelty, and desirable, though for any kind of serious or long-term use the existing HIDs and UI paradigms are still vastly superior. Both from a productivity as well as ergonomics standpoint.
    You're never going to please anyone, regardless of what you're changing. That much is certainly true.

That's not the point here though, what's being questioned is whether these changes are actually progress.

I'd argue it's the exact opposite.

I'd be willing to adopt and blunder through a transition period to get used to a superior interface, or product, but I can't see what's in any way better about the Windows 8 UI.

The fact that I can't stand the Metro style from a purely artistic standpoint surely doesn't help either. :(

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Windows 8 sounds like it'll be either Vista/Me-awful or too drastically different that it'll take a lot of getting used to. Either way, I don't think I'll be in any rush to upgrade as I suspect Windows 7 will prove to be as long-lasting as XP was and I'll only upgrade if, say, Microsoft decide to make DirectX 12 exclusive to Windows 8.

17. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    No way will I use it if that metro UI is forced. Either need a modded windows or stick to W7.

I'm sick of traditional desktop UI's being changed for the tablet, ipod, hipster generation with everything being hidden away and turned into annoying popups and loss of tree structure. :bang:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    But isn't that exactly the point behind Windows 8? In that it serves multiple interfaces, whether it be touch or input with a keyboard and mouse? I mean it's not like Windows is the only OS doing this. All the changes made in KDE/Gnome/Ubuntu's Unity have been moving towards this multi use input shift as well.

You could argue that having separate systems for both would be better I guess, but even that I would say that I disagree.

19. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
  20. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I hope that'll be the way it turns out in the end.

Currently I'm unable to get excited over the prospect, as I find the desktop UI to be clunky, busy, convoluted and ugly.

I'll reserve final judgment until the final release, naturally, but I find it difficult to imagine that it'll change sufficiently for my liking considering I take issue with some of the base design decisions.