Windows 8 & SweetFX compatibality

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by dexth77, Nov 15, 2012.

1. sproyd

sproyd Member

GPU:
    nVidia GT650M
    Hi Guys

I managed to customize a VERY sweet SweetFX config for Far Cry 2 which you can view on youtube here.

One major problem - I can't get video to record. I'm running W8Pro.

I've used a variety of software and it it either won't record at all (FRAPS) or it will record/capture the pre-SweetFX input rather than the post-output. I really want to showcase the mod in Far Cry 2 with moving images but alas.

Anyone got any workarounds?

2. Firechicken666

Firechicken666 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 680M SLI
    OK,

I must be missing something obvious....I cannot get Sweet FX to run at all - in fact games do not load (i.e. they simply crash out before a loading screen) and no log file is generated.

I am running windows 8 pro, I have disabled Fraps and though I have MSI afterburner installed on my PC, I am not running it. I have pasted the all SweetFX files (and its SFX single folder) into the directory containing the .exe files for Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3, and Torchlight 2 (so I think I got the folder structure right). I try my best to run the programs as administrator, and have looked at the security access for each of the game folders, and they appear to have "write", "full control", etc. checked.

Hmmm, I wonder what could be preventing these programs from running at all - I suspect windows 8, but am not familiar enough with it to know what might defeat running the programs.

3. Firechicken666

GPU:
    Nvidia 680M SLI
    Still stuck ...

Hi guys!

Any thoughts on the above post? Man I really want to run sweetfx - those screenshots are fantastic looking - but can't seem to get it going at all.

Any thoughts are very much appreciated!

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Move your game folder eg: x:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Far Cry 3, to the desktop or your User folder and try running the game from there. Just to see if Windows is acknowledging your Permission settings, if it works then theres your answer if not well... then you just get more questions.

Mind you i have tried this myself with SweetFX installed to the correct location and it still wont run for me (im on vista x64) but prior to the 1.4 patch everything was working fine. I also read somewhere on G3D to revert back to patch 1.2 as it may help (patch 1.3 dont fix nothing of importance if i remember correctly).

Goot Luck

5. PandoraX357

PandoraX357 Member

GPU:
    560GTX-ti 2G Twin FrozrII
    This issue seems to come up frequently. I've posted this several times in the SweetFX thread, with mostly positive results for those who followed up.
    We had a similar issus with one of the RCRN users for Skyrim. Believed to be relative to windows 8 directX handling the custom dll from our injector.
    Check out the successful workaround posted in this thread.
    It might not be relative in your case, but certainly worth a shot.
    Hope this helps!

EDIT: I'll just simplify the steps. We now added this to FAQS for our injector compatibility with windows 8. Odds are, the same will apply for SweetFX.
    Not all the DirectX 9 files are automatically installed with Win8, in order to make RCRN work properly you need to follow the following steps:

1) Download this DirectX runtime component from the official microsoft website: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
    2) Save the file.
    3) Right Click, run as Administrator
    4) unpack to somewhere you can get to easily (suggest c:\DX, since if you unpack it to the desktop it will dump like 200 files onto your desktop – voice of experience)
    5) Open the location you unpacked the files to and right click DXSTEUP.EXE and run as Administrator. This will install all of the 64bit and SYSWOW64 files for DX 9 and DX 10.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  6. Firechicken666

GPU:
    Nvidia 680M SLI
    Hey guys - thanks so much for the suggestions! Please keep them coming! I tried downloading and installing the direct X components per your suggestion, but alas it still does not work. However, I noticed that when I tried to launch Borderlands 2 directly from the executable in the folder (i.e. not from steam) I got an error that said that "d3d9.dll" (which is a sweetfx file) was not compatible with windows - error # 0xc000012f. Weird. BTW if you are associated with the team that put together RCRN congrats - that is a super mod - love it!

I have not yet had a chance to install a sweetfx compatible game directly onto the desktop or in my user folder.

7. PandoraX357

PandoraX357 Member

GPU:
    560GTX-ti 2G Twin FrozrII
    @Friedchicken666 Do you get the same error message when trying to run sweetfx with and other games? Also, is your OS 64bit?

8. Firechicken666

GPU:
    Nvidia 680M SLI
    Yes...I reproduced the exact error verbiage with dead space 2. Neither skyrim nor torchlight II will run either, though they error out in a a different way (because of their launchers). Again, all programs run fine without sweetfx in their root directory.

I also just reproduced it with Far Cry III using the new 2.0 alpha of sweetfx that is available.

I am running Windows 8 64-bit.

9. Firechicken666

GPU:
    Nvidia 680M SLI
    I just noticed that another injector (MOD Illumination v1.5 for Mass Effect) has the same effect...instant crash to desktop.

Interesting that injector produced a log file...

redirecting CreateDevice
    D3DXCreateEffectFromFile failed
    D:\Origin\Mass Effect 3\binaries\Win32\shader.fx(6,10): error X1507: failed to open source file: 'injFX_Shaders\injFXaaSettings.h'

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  10. Firechicken666

GPU:
    Nvidia 680M SLI
    Fixed with the SweetFX Configurator program! Never figured out what the problem was - but things are working now :)

I should note, that the configurator will load SweetFX for a game, allow you to tweak, and then launch the game...including steam games.

11. Warpy

Warpy Master Guru

GPU:
    2X 980Ti Poseidon PLAT
    I am having huge problems with Guild Wars 2 and SweetFX. Basically it will not work with Windows 8, it stays frozen at the launch prompt. Has anyone else noticed this?

The problem appears to the d3d9.dll

12. Vegtro

Vegtro Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    Works fine for me on Win8 x64 on GW2.

13. aNoN_

aNoN_ Member

Anyone got an idea on how to get sweetfx working in Crysis 2 under 8.1? I've tried everything already! :(

14. aNoN_

aNoN_ Member

Bump!

15. aNoN_

aNoN_ Member

Bump #2

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Try reshade instead.

17. Amaze