Windows 8 shaping up to be unmitigated disaster

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jun 6, 2012.

1. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    id have to say gour assessment was pretty much bang on.. I had practically the same experience which usin win8.. I can definitely appreciate some of the improvements to be sure and found that it was snappier than win 7.. however metro is a serious detractor and doesnt belong (imo) on a pc. that said, Im quite happy with win 7 and honestly it would have taken good deal better os in win8 to make me consider moving from win7

2. chilly willy

chilly willy Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    yes metro and the smartphone feel of the os is my main reason, so far, to not get excited for win8. if in a future version of a beta or something they decide to add more features or move some things around to accomodate a desktop and allow you to not use metro during installation i have to say im gonna be on win7 for a while. which is NOT a bad thing at all. low system requirements are nice and all but if you are a gamer you are going to have a decent computer anyways. win8 might be good for a htpc though but then so is ubuntu or several other linux operating systems. however win8 does offer the snappiness of linux with the "easy" feel of mac osx/windows.

3. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Exactly.

You're the one trying to push people into convenient categories for the sake of your arguments.

No one else seems to be doing that.

It's not just wildly incorrect hyperbole, it's also self-defeating as a basis for any argument.

People are merely venting their frustrations with what they personally consider a serious drawback of Windows 8, namely the UI. It's not an argument, and certainly not one that can be 'won'.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I dont think its about metro per se, its about lack of configuration options where people can choose which interface is comfortable to them. Thats 8's shortcoming thus far. But I dont think 8 is in any trouble or will fail over this, simply because MS can change it quite easily on the fly. Its just as easy for them to include alternate interface options as it is snapping their fingers, and at any point in time. If they stick to their guns on metro, and if it hurts 8's sales, expect to see lawsuits from disgruntled shareholders start to appear. Whoever thinks MS is locked into metro is not being realistic imo.

However, if 8 does better than expected, and shows signs of being a money winner for MS, then all bets are off. It would then be easy to for them to lock into metro.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The version of Metro in the Release Preview feels under-thought and rushed. Let's see how stubborn MS is feeling after release if Metro is criticized by the general populace and businesses because they can easily "sponsor" the reviews.

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Funny how almost every one here has said that the good aspects of Windows 8 are the quicker boot times and better performance due to WDDM 1.2 but very few people have praised the Metro interface. Most people seem to dislike it.

My own feeling is that Microsoft knew that they needed some new key feature to sell a new Windows operating system so soon after the release of Windows 7 so they came up with Metro. Strip away the Metro interface and the other improvements would not justify an upgrade from Windows 7 for the majority of people. Heck, the new kernel and WDDM 1.2 could have been added via a Service Pack update for Windows 7 at a small cost or even free if Microsoft were more reasonable and less greedy.

I've got a sneaking feeling that Windows 7 will prove to be as popular and as enduring as Windows XP was/is. The fact is that most people will NOT need to upgrade to Windows 7 if they don't want to. Games and applications will continue to support Windows 7 for many years, just as they have Vista and XP.

7. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I'm actually started to get the impression Microsoft releases a bad OS after every good one and then a good OS after that that sells like hotcakes.

98 --> Me --> XP --> Vista --> 7

Business practice?

8. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Obviously you didn't see my post.

9. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4335650&postcount=27

This one? ;)

10. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Could well be...lol

12. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Windows 95 was not ****. It was probably the single largest improvement in the windows franchise. As much as '95 would crash, it had nothing on 3.11. Win 3.11 crashed daily for me if not more often.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hmmm it was pretty crap compared to '98 imho...

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Of course it will be. iPad 1 was ****e in comparison to 2 then. Both were very important products.

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Sticking to Windows 7 aswell.

It's highly unlikely that any Games in the next 6-8 years are going to be Windows 8 Only Games anyways.

16. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Halo 4 XD

17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Not really into First Person Shooters anymore since BF2. So i wont miss anything.

18. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    It was only a joke. Halo 4 will probably not be released for PC anyway. Was just a reference to the Vista only Halo 2 (even tough it was possible to run the game on xp with a hack).

19. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    They sell a BETA OS (say VISTA) then release the real version (say Windows 7) when everyones ripped the BETA to bits and found what needs fixing, and they've also made pots of money from selling a BETA to fund the real release!

Business practice, NO, M$ Practice :banana:

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Nah.

First of all there are way more changes to the OS than you listed but I'm going to ignore that for now.

Metro is way less about having a new feature to tack on, and way more about Microsoft having a similar interface and design philosophy from the top (windows) to the bottom (their phone). I'd say the vast majority of Android/iPhone/iPad users all use Windows as their main OS and will continue to do so in the future. As the Metro interface becomes more and more intertwined with their daily tasks on their desktop, these users will also unknowingly, begin to accustom themselves with all Microsoft devices. The next time they go shopping for a new phone, or tablet, they already know the interface - the entire phone/tablet looks familiar to them from their Windows experience. Because of this, they will be way more inclined to purchase a Microsoft device. But that's really only where it starts. Microsoft also went ahead and added a bunch of cloud based services into the OS. These services will add all kinds of awesome syncing of data between devices - Microsoft devices. So now not only are these people being accustomed to the interface, but all their data, windows app purchases, etc will all be locked into the Microsoft ecosystem.

Here is an example: Say at work they give you a fancy new PC running Windows 8 and at first you hate it, but eventually you tolerate it. At some point all these nifty little Metro apps come along - maybe some that are actually very good at productivity. You find one in particular that can manage your entire client database. You start to grow accustomed to using them for various reasons across the day. You get a phone call, it's your mother, she wants to see you right away but won't tell you why. You get nervous, you run out the door and in the hurry you drop your shiny Android phone. Dammit. When you get to your moms she surprises you with a new dog she purchased, it's a Papillon, very cute. You're relieved to hear everything is OK, but you now you need a new phone. You go to the Verizon store and begin shopping around. You see the new iPhone 5, looks legit 4 inch screen A7 quad core processor, sleek looking body, pretty nice. You move on to the Android phones, Android 6.0, Klondike Bar is out with a fancy interface that you've never seen before. Then you see the Windows Phone 8 running Metro. You pick it up, the interface is familiar, navigation is simple - because for the past 3 months you've been essentially using the same device. Verizon rep comes over and sees you looking at it. Starts rambling off about the 12 megapixel camera. You know better, you know megapixels mean next to nothing, but in his salesmen fueled rant you hear him mention that all your data and your apps from your PC sync with your phone. This interests you, that productivity program you've been running in order to manage your biggest client and all it's data is on your PC, it's now available on your phone no problem. You see that promotion on the horizon, your boss congratulating you, coworkers murmuring jealous lines, your eyes begin to glaze over as the rest of your life flashes before you, your future dream wife in a lovely gown, flowers, mom's Papillon the ringer bearer. Salesmen then mentions the outrageous limited data plan, you tell him to go **** himself as your dream melts away.

But yeah, people are going to use Windows, they are going to get familiar and they are way more likely to buy into the Microsoft ecosystem in the future. That's the reason why they are forcing Metro on us.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012