Windows 8 RTM Metro (I mean... new GUI) Remover/Fix already out!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by king-dubs, Aug 12, 2012.

1. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    That's been removed in the preview as well as the RTM.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Stardock's Start8 does that

3. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    Win 8 certanly isn't a day 1 buy, but I'll prob buy the $14.99 upgrade then hold off until I can make it look like Win.7

4. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Could just make a program which would select that Desktop option from that new GUI and make that program run automaticly every time when system starts ? Would not be straight to the desktop but automaticly to desktop with 1seck delay or whatever. Should work ?

5. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    All this about metro... my gosh. hit the desktop and its gone... No start button, boo, hoo.... I mean come on guys, its not that bad. It's new and for some reason anything new isn't liked... Are these type of people afraid to change hairstyles also?... Get a new car?, use different toilet paper?

Embrace change, don't be afraid of it...

6. Geralt

Geralt Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8GB
    I don't understand why MS doesn't just have both... seriously, why not? W8 would then be appealing to all people, not just one or the other.

7. slow_poke

slow_poke Guest

GPU:
    evga
    That's the best you can come up with, afraid of change.
    I like it so you must too, ya great attitude.
    Glad you like that trash, but don't waste your time trying to tell me what I should like, lol.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

That upgrade price is only if you buy a Windows 7 PC within the last few months

Normal upgrade price is $39.99 until Jan 2013 I believe

9. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    well, theorically when you go to desktop, you use one app (chrome here). When i used windows8, i had chrome and others on metro, my metro start menu was full of shortcuts. I just clicked chrome and desktop poops in :).

But the point on loading desktop is to have it loaded if you just press "start" and leave the PC starting... not loading metro and LATER desktop (double load time, altho metro loads quickly).

10. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Insert Windows 8 disc, Microsoft gives us the option for the classic desktop or the Metro desktop.

Winning at life. Oh no wait I just woke up.

I'll buy a copy of Windows 8 and use it for a seperate PC and copy all my pictures and videos to there along with a touch screen TV. It would make a good media PC.

Microsoft are simply copying Apple here by making a dumb product which they will sell to all the unwashed masses (that's right have a shower) who are stupid enough to buy it like an iPhone. Not that there is much wrong with an iPhone other than it's basic ability to do anything (yup, thought I'd jump on to the Crapple bandwagon too).

11. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Form opinion. Pass it off as everyone's. Anyone who disagrees is stupid.

Douchebag points awarded.

Including the old explorer just creates double the trouble. Double the troubleshooting, double the issues, double the security vulnerabilities, double the space...There's no need for it.

If you want Windows 7's interface, fine, use Windows 7. But expecting it to be included in Windows 8, when the two are radically different...that's silly guys, come on.

Well you haven't used it. You could try doing at least that. Personally, I love it. My ONLY complaints with it are: Metro is too sandboxed from the rest of the OS. I'd like it if audio from metro apps played even when they aren't in foreground.

And the search splits things up into different sections on different screens. I'd like it if they leveraged the extra real estate to make it all on one screen.

Aside from that, the menu itself is fantastic. Much faster on a single monitor, though I could see how using it on dual monitors would possibly be more difficult (at least to click).

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I don't really know why I would need to boot straight to desktop... I would just pin programs that I use as icons in W8 GUI and that's it. I just don't get it at all. Why people want to see their huge collection or small icons or what? I'd pin useful tiles in W8 GUI (weather etc.) I don't see any reason why booting straight to desktop would be any better.

13. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    IntelĀ® HD Graphics
    Honestly for those who've not tried win 8 as standard go ahead and try it with an open mind and youll soon find its pretty decent even with Metro (Modern UI). As has been said above you just pin your most used programs to the 'start menu' and go from there. If you need to go to the desktop then theres a 2 tile wide icon for it by default on the metro home screen so its once click away no matter what.

14. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Good man.

Though I was actually being serious about having a media PC with a touch screen tv. That would be cool to view photo's etc. :nerd:

Your not the same chap from BF3 "IPlayNaked" who was moaning last night about hackers endlessly and cheating were you? :infinity:

15. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    if one wants w7 style ui stay w7 simple as that :eek: I've had w8 as main os actually since dev preview, this is nice and smooth sailing nothing really wrong with the os.

16. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    No, and you should report him for impersonating me. No way he can live up to the hype.

17. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    99% of power users refuse to use the clunky UI formerly known as "Metro".

However, there's a sizable percentage of those people who want to use Windows 8's "other" improvements (that is, under the hood optimizations like faster boot times) without dealing with Metro.

This thread's solution is a step in the right direction.

18. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    99% of Power Users refuse to use Windows at all, instead opting for Linux.

19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Try a chocolate cake with dog **** frosting instead ... for a change.

20. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Change for the worse is a bad deal.