Windows 8 roadmap - ready by mid-2012

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

ZD Net's Mary Jo Foley published a Windows 8 roadmap and speculates the new operating system may be finalized by mid-2012: Microsoft execs also are not commenting on an alleged Dell roadmap leak from...

More...

2. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Man i understand why they released windows 7, Vista was kinda bad, but really now there's no need for a new OS!! Windows 7 is a great and stable OS, plus if they bring a new DX to the table history will repeat like with dx10, nobody had the time to make full use of it..and that will be to bad, cause dx11 has some really nice features, imagine what dx11 can do in a couple of years, if dx9 can do so much after so much time..

3. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Well while i agree 7 is a damn good OS there's always room for improvement.

The main interesting thing with Win 8 will be the ARM version, i'd imagine the most DX will get updated is 11.1 if at all. I just hope they dont go too cloud mad with it and make it too online focused.

4. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Yeah I don't want an online online type of O.S.

I haven't bought win7 yet as vista64bit is rock solid as an O.S minus the inflated ram usage which is not a problem for me even with the most demanding games.

I was going to buy win 7 recently but if win8 is coming soon.....

It would be nice to have the option of getting an arm cpu etc just to see how it goes, nothing wrong with some competition.

5. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Well ARM CPU's wont really be useful except for mobile solutions such as tablets and really low power laptops/netbooks but yeah itll be interesting.

6. Andrés

Andrés Guest

They've got to keep selling ;)

7. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    half 2012 is not " soon "... finalized mean it will be released around september or October 2012. it's in more of one and half year.

8. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    I just used to W7. Love it, much better than Vista.

2012 is so...soon.

XP lasted so long, it seems like all newer version of Windows must too.

I just feel like they're going to become COD's soon.

Windows 8, Windows 9, Windows 10, one every year eventually lol.

9. Espair

Espair Active Member

GPU:
    HD4870 1gb@2048x1152
    I dont want my OS to be cloud based at all <.<. W7 is great, I really dont see a need for an upgrade so soon, which makes me wonder what its selling point is going to be...

10. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    If this is a cloud OS then I'm skipping it, I'm not buying into that bull**** for an OS, no thanks. And I doubt I'm alone.

11. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    same here, I dont want cloud etc, do ms know how crap broadband is in the uk?? see no point whatsoever, I will only get it if it comes supplied with a ARM netbook or something, win7 is great and doesnt need changing at all IMO

12. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Imho 2012 is idd too soon to release a new version of windows..
    I installed W7 x64 two weeks ago, and I must admit that I'm really happy with it.
    Not that I had some problems with Vista, but 7 is idd a bit faster and more responsive..

13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    100% agree we do not need another OS so soon, even 2013 would be too soon. They should work on W7 and refining that platform first. I remember XP SP2 and the impact that had on the OS was amazing. Lets have a repeat of that in W7 with its SP2 as well.

I think Microsoft are afraid, afraid they will loose a lot of market share. Think about it, Apple has made a massive comeback over the past ten years. The Ipod is what did it for them, more and more people are buying Mac's now than ever before. A lot of people still use linux/ubuntu too. And now we have all these phones with their own OS and soon Google is launching their own FREE OS. Yes it still pales into comparison the market share the MS still has, but that's because 90% of businesses use Windows. I also would go as far as saying that 40% of all households that use W7 are pirated versions. MS does not actually care about this as it gives them more marketshare, they made up their money from the business end of market.

I say release SP2 for W7, update DX11 to 11.1 in that. Then for SP3 try and iron out the major problems with W7. Then start on W8 and for godsake please oh please just drop x32bit and make x64bit the standard and show us what x128bit is capable of!!!!

14. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    I also think Microsoft have alot to worry about but i dont think new PC windows will solve that issue. People are able to do more and more while mobile so bringing the platforms together is a logical step and in many ways i think this might be where windows 8 will shine with its ARM version as long as its supported well. Knowing microsoft however itll probably be a half assed go at it.

Having true windows on PC, laptop, netbook, phone, tablet dishwasher will be a definite boon for people who like to share things between devices and want the same familiar environment to do so. Itll hopefully be what the old windows mobile should have been.

Lets also hope they fire their marketing department before win 8 though, any "im a PC", "i made windows 7", "to the cloud..." or similar adverts do not do them any favours.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I won't touch a cloud OS....period. There's zero guarrantee of data integrity or security. Also, what happens if you lose your internet connection? Your computer becomes useless. If I can't run my computer without an internet connection, the OS/Software is worthless.

16. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    i dont know what the fuss is about...with the exception of xp..microsoft has always updated every 2-3yrs...and it should stay that way imo..gotta keep moving forward.
    Just because its a new os doesnt make everything before it obsolete or unusable. But just because and OS is good doesnt mean you should stop progress. I love 7 and have used it since it debuted but that wont stop me from upgrading to the next platform as soon as it comes out as long as its moving in the right direction.

17. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Agree with you, outside XP the normal routing is 3 years ( and again, the x64 version have been released 2-3 years then, without saying different server version have been too released ).

Now surely this one will come with a "upgrade" at low cost from win7.

Right with you on it, and this will surely limit a lot the performance. This will bring a lot of new problems: Integrity of the data, Privacy, "control on those data" etc etc..

Now let's not forget, there will be different version of windows, and it's not chromium: it will not be " cloud " only, just thoses type of feature will be possible.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  18. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    W7 is an excellent operating system indeed, room for improvement? absolutely.

let's start by removing the registry completely from windows, this imo would be the biggest and most significant step toward a reliable OS.

Cloud OS? no thanks, with many capped connections and some people even live with reduced quotas in some countries like 3GB per month ...

19. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Debends on what files it gets and storages on the Internet and what it does when Internet connection dies.

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Brotip: Do not try out the beta. The beta of Windows 7 was AIDS, far more trouble than it was worth. It'll likely be the same with Windows 8.