Windows 8 pre-launch adoption rate not looking good

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    I had no problem at all with Vista, sure UAC is annoying and I didn't like that menus and extensions (etc) were disabled by default but all that could be enabled/disabled so whatever. If Windows 7 didn't roll around I'd still be using Vista and skip 8 regardless. The only driver problems that come to mind was sound driver problems with Win 7 beta, which were resolved by the time Win 7 was officially released.

2. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I installed it a few months ago... customized it and familiarized myself with it.... decided I still don't like it. It's clunky at best and totally ill-suited for any desktop user that actually wants to work on his/her PC. I will be using Windows 7 on my main computers for a few more years at this point.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Of course it was a resource hog if it was installed on an under powered heap.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Vista32 was a pig.

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    On my laptop I use at work 3GB of mem 1.86htz C2D used 1.3GB at idle with 64bit vista, W7 ultimate 64bit uses just 750-800MB at idle resource hog end of story.

6. FerCam™

FerCam™ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    Now turned to fashion saying win8 sucks, actually I'm using it and I don't miss aero and I don't see the difference... But I don't use metro either, only from time to time as some kind of start menu and don't use apps at all.

But games are faster, and the system feels lighter and more responsive. The main downside, stability it doesn't like much overclocking and ATI drivers don't help on that...

7. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    And that's a good thing.

You want your RAM to be empty? What's the point of having it? What did that RAM being full do for you? What does RAM sitting unused do for you?

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You buy ram just to leave it empty? :p

Vista ran fine at launch on my Athlon64 3800+, 1GB ram, 8800 GTS 640mb system and I used Vista on it till early 2009 when I got my i7 system.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  9. Q6600

Q6600 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS ROG GTX 1080
    Agreed

Windows 8 :peeleft::bigsmile:

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Depends on what's eating up the memory.

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Not too sure if ya'll are being serious. If I have 33% of available ram to use taken just to run the OS and have to have resource heavy apps like ADP, EDGE, and other apps like IE with java and flash yeah having an extra 500GB available is a good thing. BTW are ya'll really defending Vista.......... really.

12. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Superfetch. Read about it.

13. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Why not? After all the Sp's and hot fixes it became quite a rock solid OS.

The only reason I changed to 7 is because of the way UAC was setup on Vista.

In fact, I'm almost certain my overall ram usage was better with Vista too, and it had a sleeker looking taskbar.

14. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Kinda sounds like the snowball effect, where the complainers shout the loudest negatives and that's all that gets heard. Only reason i hope Surface and W8 fail is i believe MS really needs to clean house, shrink down some and get back the "fire in the belly" that startups have. Removing boring ballmer from his position should do the trick. They need a geeky guru guy to take the lead imo, not some silver spoon fed suit with a by the book degree from Harvard.

Battery life i believe was the actual reason

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ever had a run out of memory error? Do read about Superfetch as IPlayNaked suggested. BTW, the same old tired Vista bashing 6 yrs later? Really?

16. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I was never keen on the idea of say, swapping 3GB's of data off my ram to a Hard drive while my game is trying to load or reserve that 3GB's for itself. That situation alone sounds slow as hell freezing over thinking of how long it is to actually write 3GB's of data on a 7200rpm drive.
    On Vista, my HD thrashed like crazy, sometimes it would slow other things down in the process....though i have 12 gigs of ram now and SSD drives so its not an issue...but i could imagine for some people, in some situations could find Superfetch...and not having unused apps close, a bit annoying.
    Full ram sounds great, but swapping it back n forth to HD does'nt really less the HD is as fast as the Ram.

17. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    soundblaster lack of proper drivers that work right might be also affecting adoption rate.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    A lot of people are switching back due to proper drivers being unavailable....which is actually expected. Some people, simply don't want to install the 90-day Eval just to format later when Win8 actually launches... MS should have allowed pre-orders like they did with Win7....that would be the real tell as to how successful/fail Win8 could possibly be.

19. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Disabling superfetch does not leave your system free and 'wasted'. What superfetch does is pre-load programs before you use them, based on previous use. The downside with his logic is that it tries to fill up every byte of RAM. Since memory use by applications actually change as your are using them, it really is a flawed logic. As soon as a program requires more memory, it unloads data from superfetch, program uses that memory, and as soon as it is available again it is refilled. This constant refilling is not beneficial, and would harm power usage.

If you disable superfetch, or better, set to '2' in the registry, pre-loading of programs is not done. This does NOT mean memory is wasted! Programs, games etc are still cached into memory and that memory freed as required, but it is only based on the stuff you have already loaded in that session and hasn't expired. For most people this would actually be better, especially with SSD's. So, by disabling Superfetch you just turn active cacheing into passive cacheing, which I have preferred with Vista, 7, and 8. If you load a game that required 3GB of RAM, after you exist that game the game is still cached, not what Microsoft reckons you might want to load next. If you reload that game, the game is still cached so you benefit from improved load times :) It also helps with in-game level loading etc if the data is already cached.

So, superfetch is pretty useless, and always has been, it is more of a marketting thing than anything else.

20. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Oh you guys like vista too?
    I like vista right on the grill spat spat mmmm hear that fat hit the fire and cause flare ups ...yummy
    I like vista jerky too...oh yeah just beat the piss out of it,then salt pepper hang it in a dark cool place...yeah thats the greatest