Windows 8 Metro UI Petiton

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by alexw, Mar 3, 2012.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Here's 2 facts that people fail to understand:

MetroUI is the only "theme" for Windows8 Consumer Preview...There will be 2 "themes" at launch
    Microsoft, though a publicly traded company, is not bound by any law requiring them to honor a petition.....

Petitions work great for getting some governments to act, but not so well for companies as there's no way to enforce them.

Also, MS announced several months ago that Windows8 would have more than 1 "theme" at launch.

2. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Too true, unfortunately.

I missed that, link please?

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Vistart, a start menu enhancer, has added support for Windows 8, though still 'experimental'. Tried it and got a W7 style start menu in 8 CP. Still a little buggy, but I am quite sure that this and other 3rd party apps will take care of the missing start menu for 8 quite soon. Also has the traditional shutdown button.

4. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Yes, I also have ViStart installed. It is buggy, I will agree.

And, Windows still boots into Metro where you need to click the Desktop tile to get to the actual real desktop.

5. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Really? No issues here with my rig o_O.

deltatux

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    As I was searching for ways to disable Metro in the consumer preview (which apparently nobody has found), I discovered an article from Paul Thurrot that was posted back in November. According to good 'ole Paul, if Windows8 is received like Vista the desktop computer market will die and MS will be reduced to nothing more than a simple software company, but if Windows8 has the success of Windows7, MS will essentially become the single dominant force in the computing industry. Just amazing how much that clueless, wannabe tech journalist can exagerate....

Do you really expect me to sort through over 6 months worth of Win8 BS to find the announcement from MS? And here, I thought, people on a tech forum bitching and whining about Windows8 would actually keep up with what's going on before starting to bitch and whine about "features" that they're clueless about..... MS said there will be a "classic theme" and Metro.

Windows9x and earlier were the only ones not to have a "classic theme" (which is only half true).

7. ReliancePC

ReliancePC New Member

GPU:
    HD 3000
    OK, I made another stab at disabling Metro UI in Windows 8 Consumer Preview while we wait to see if Microsoft is going to commit suicide or not. I've got stuff to port to W8 and couldn't wait to see if MS was going to release an OS that allows actual work to get done.

Methods that work to bypass or disable Metro UI in Windows 8 Developer Preview do not work in Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Also, methods based on using the Task Manager and methods that are based on a showdesktop.scf don't work either.

However, I discovered that overriding the default registry value:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "Shell"=explorer.exe

with

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "Shell"="explorer.exe /select,explorer.exe"

does in fact automatically skip past Metro UI (under most circumstances).

One can also do this override on a per-user basis with:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "Shell"="explorer.exe /select,explorer.exe"

In this latter case, you could dip your toe in the water by creating a new login id to experiment on before applying the change system-wide with the first case.

Note that in either case, after one logs on, it takes a couple of seconds for the desktop background to appear after the initial root folder for the user appears.

Also, note that this method leaves a vestigial explorer.exe process that remains in the background until a logoff occurs.

I also made two .reg files, one for the HKLM change and one for the HKCU change, which can be used to apply the desired change. These are in a zipped folder that can be downloaded from:

http://www.reliancepc.com/menu/tips/Downloads/GoToClassicDesktopRegFiles.zip

(Needless to say, if you decide to give this a try, be careful, do a system restore point, and be prepared to enter Safe Mode [if you can figure out how], or understand how to bring up the Task Manager with Ctrl-Alt-Del and start regedit.exe with Administrative privileges if you happen to get in real trouble.)

I also recommend that you disable the hateful lock screen via gpedit.msc by going to:

Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Control Panel -> Personalization -> "Do not display the lock screen" and setting that to "Enabled".

Finally, download and install ViStart to get the Start Menu back. Once you've done all three of these things W8 starts to become usable for actual enterprise-level work as opposed to pointlessly farting around with a toy interface that badly emulates a credit-card sized personal communication touch-screen interface like Android.

8. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    signed however metro is just the new start menu it takes some getting used to however i'm not used to it my self yet.

see it like this everything you now lack is just hidden in another place so try to adapt and if you cant just turn off metro ui i'm sure their gonna be an option at release.

Microsoft just wants you to focus testing metro ui not parts that have been tested already in windows 7 :D

9. ReliancePC

ReliancePC New Member

GPU:
    HD 3000
    Just wanted to note that Classic Shell 3.5.0 has just been released, and it works beautifully on Windows 8 Consumer Preview, providing a highly functional and highly customizable Start Menu, as well as allowing one to substantially augment the Explorer ribbon, providing the ability to add a whole row of traditional Explorer function icons.. I think Classic Shell is a much better alternative than ViStart. In fact, I like Classic Shell better than than the Vista and Windows 7 Start Menus anyway. Classic Shell can be downloaded at:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/files/latest/download