Windows 8 Installing- Not working?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by dragunov1010, Oct 28, 2012.

1. dragunov1010

dragunov1010 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    So I bought Windows 8 yesterday and it all installs fine and said it would work with my computer. It restarts 3 times (as it said it would), then my monitor goes black as my computer does nothing, and the monitor eventually gets turned off.
    So I restart my computer, and as it restarts it tells me it wasn't successful and returns back to my previous OS. Tried doing multiple small things to get it to work, no dice. I'm thinking it may be a hardware issue, if not some other thing, you people know more than I do. Help pwease :c

Specs:
    Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-MLX Plus
    CPU: AMD FX-8150 8-Core 3.6Ghz
    RAM: 4 GB
    Video Card: EVGA GTX 550 Ti

2. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    At what point in the installation does your monitor switch off(stand by) eg: at 70% of installing or at the Finishing touches or whatever its called. Also my monitor does the same thing but eventually a picture shows up, and how long are you waiting before hitting a manual restart.

3. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    You need to wait.

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    ^this, it can take awhile for it to do it's thing even if the Hard Drive light aint flickering it may still be working away.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Make sure the display is not being sent to a different port on the GPU, mine swapped from DVI to HDMI to finish the install

I had to use the TV to finish my install

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    What a ridiculous bug!

I think I had something similar happen on my install as although Windows 8 completed fine and I was able to use it with the default v304.79 graphics drivers, when I updated them to the latest v310.33 beta ones, I got a blank screen after the Windows logo during the requested restart. Reboots did nothing and because I couldn't see anything on screen, only see drive activity, I ended up having to restore my Windows 7 backup.

I'm going to have another go at installing Windows 8 tonight, now I've sorted out the admin rights issue with it refusing to run apps on my hidden admin account (well, I hope I have as I want to keep all my settings and software from Windows 7). However, this whole experience has left a sour taste in my mouth (or is that the coffee I've just had?).

P.S. I'm using HDMI.

7. Faces Of Death

Faces Of Death Guest

GPU:
    Dual nVidia GTX680 4GB
    update the motherboard bios, if using an SSD update the firmware

and do a clean install

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Up to date, up to date and no in that order!

A clean install is unnecessary as everything bar the audio is working now and I still have all my settings, applications and games carried over from Windows 7. Windows Update automatically downloaded and installed the latest certified v306.97 drivers with no issues on restarting so I'm good to go. :D