1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 8 driver 285.16

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by H-Ackermans, Sep 24, 2011.

1. H-Ackermans

H-Ackermans Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX550Ti
    A new nVidia driver for Windows 8 Developer preview appeared on Microsoft Update and installed driver version 285.16.

This now gives an nVidia control panel but so far I have not been able to access it as clicking it doesn't appear to work (yet?)

2. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Why are you playing with fire ? The tiles Metro blow goat. Ill stick with 7 until 2020... ms i is gay making their OS like a smartphone.

If I want a smartphone Ill use one. PC experience has to be different... thx gg and gl

3. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra
    you can use the normal desktop..

4. H-Ackermans

H-Ackermans Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX550Ti
    While the regular Desktop UI is disabled you can enable it by editing the registry:

Start REGEDIT.
    Go to key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    Change the value of RPEnabled from 1 to 0.
    Closed REGEDIT and restart, voila, classic desktop in Windows Developer Preview.

BTW toying aroung with the metro UI whilst using a mouse and keyboard is also fun. The biggest thing that makes this sooooo easy is that, while on the Metro tiles, you can just type the application name you want to use and it'll pop-up the Windows Search plus applications that match what you type.

I admit watching a startscreen with a clock and date and very little more made me frown quite a while thinking the whole OS had frozen.

5. H-Ackermans

H-Ackermans Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX550Ti
    Wow, and now all of a sudden, the control panel pops up with the notification my system is SLI-capable and I have access to the CPL. That's funny.

Anyway, further to my suprise, PhysX version is 09.11.0621 where the version on nVidia's site is only 09.10.0513.

6. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    1060 6GB Armor OC
    I'm able to open Control Panel normally.

The entire Desktop Enviroment is Hardware Accelerated and especially, the nice IE 10 has the best HWA among all browsers, as you may know. However, I confronted slowness/glitches ( logical ) in some cases and I hope with these drivers, the issues will be solved. So far pretty good.

I truly like Win8 and its design. Fully squared without the curved "glitches" Win7 have. My explorer shines. And I don't care much for Metro, too. But I'm in looooove with Win8.

7. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 870M 6GB
    Try Clearscreen Sharp on Win7 :) love the edges with Aero :p

8. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    ive noticed big changes iven in this early build of Windows 8 is way faster than Windows 7 in multi tasck rendering im liking what im using right now and right now its Windows 8

9. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    Yep you experience the better Preemption through WDDM 1.2 :)