Windows 8 Consumer Preview available

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Xzibit, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    My biggest issue isn't that it has changed too much, but that not enough has changed, when you don't use Metro it just feels like a fast W7, so unless your stealing it, i'm not sure the speed difference is enough to warrant buying a new operating system.

Metro is actually pretty good to use, and sure it would be great on a tablet, maybe even a dual boot with Android when i get round to getting one, which i will do soon enough as it's a waste of time and money using my desktop for any internet, or other non work/gaming related purposes.

Still, just like W7 i'm hugely impressed at the speed and stability of a beta OS, my only problem is that it needs a lot more new desktop features to be considered a worthwhile upgrade for me, and not like many who are repeating the XP mistake of wanting to hold onto an older, slower OS, just because they know were everything is.

2. S†v0r

S†v0r Banned

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
    There is a "standard desktop" too, but by default its at those apps desktop -_-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Og0BbYErv-s#t=336s

The only thing that looks good is taskmanager :]

And i agree with RavenMaster, lol i got the same impression just by looking at this 8min video..too much useless stuff or so simplified its actually stupid.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Thanks, that driver works great for me :)

Unfortunately those with new 7xxx series cards are out of luck though, they get the same problem but they cannot adjust underscan/overscan with this driver, according to user reports.

4. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Well i give up with this.

Tried 3 times to install it now and a no go, it gets all the way to 90% and does a restart, then it shows that silly fish logo, then another restart and it states it's building (i think it was building) and goes all the way to 100% then does another restart and states it failed and is going to restore my previous windows.

Every single time it does this (angry face), i can't be bothered with an iso install so i'll hold off until release and see if it's cheap and worth it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I did a clean install (not upgrade), works fine.
    Did you upgrade?

6. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Yeah i selected upgrade as i really don't wanna redownload everything and just wanted a simple trial/preview of it.

It's really weird as it appears to finish the entire process and then just fails with no errors at all at the final step, and just jumps to the restoring previous version bit.

To much hassle to try it again and as said, i'm not wanting to do a full install for a preview build.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Try on a spare drive, perhaps repartition one with a 60GB partition for the OS.
    All my drives have an OS partition, very handy, I use them for testing backup images.

Although I keep a spare working PC for things like this.

8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    I simply cannot stand windows 8 , i will certainly skip it by the looks of it.

9. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Are Micro$haft too mean to upload an MP4 file? ;)
    That flv file took ages ( 3minutes, as opposed to 45seconds ) to download! :)

10. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    It's a personal problem of mine, not everyone has my WiFi.
    Simply put, I don't care to move to W8. And if I need to at one point, for some reason, I hope it's working at that point.

11. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Well, that is the point of these beta’s, to get as much stuff working for when it’s released, so hopefully people using it to report as many bugs as possible.

Thankfully I’ve been lucky and all my devices work with the existing W7 drivers.

12. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Been using it, loving it. They still have much to add to make the interface truly work, thats what the developer and consumer previews are for guys, you're all focus grouping this.

Some things I'd like to see that I think would help people accept the new interface?

Mouse "gestures" that work intuitively. Instead of just having hotspots on the sides of the screen, there should be swipe gestures to return to the previous screen, scroll side to side, and the entire scrolling and navigating experience just needs to be more intuitive. I think it's currently efficient enough, people just need to be able to pick it up and understand it.

WHat it feels like right now is a phone or tablet OS without back/home buttons.

13. JerichoKru

JerichoKru Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD 6850 1GB
    I'd like to try this out on Vbox, if the DVD will every get by the "KMOD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" BSOD.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Most, if not all devices compatible with Windows7, will have drivers ready when Windows8 is released. A lot of Windows7 drivers will work fine with Windows8....unless the manufacturer decided to be d-bags and put version checks in the installers (like Intel did with my NIC drivers that won't install....)

I couldn't get the Developer Preview to work with Vbox. I had to download VMWare Player instead.

15. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    can you use xonar control panel?, which version/compatiblity settings? :banana:

I need win8, video playing its perfect @ all refresh rates with aero enabled (vysnc), so ill handle new interface, but i like it, except some changes (not the start menu), the shutdown button, altho i use alt-f4.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

16. mandex

mandex Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5770
    The most important thing that I want in windows is the ability to switch desktops. It's one of the things that made me like linux/ubuntu. May not be groundbreaking, but it feels great.

17. BlueIce1

BlueIce1 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X OC
    Looks like I will be on Win 7 for some time. loaded Win8 on my laptop and found it painful to navigate with a trackpad. I do think it would be nice with a touch screen but only with a touch screen.

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Sorry if its been mentioned, but how do you change font size for folder and desktop icons (NOT the 100-125-150% or DPI option), but in the more precise way that was offered in Win7 under Personalization > Windows color > Desktop Appearance?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  19. crap daddy

crap daddy Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    I have the same problem, click on the Xonar audio center and nothing. Is there a way to this?

20. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I used the UniXonar drivers, and everything worked fine, including the control panel.