Windows 8 #2

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by hallryu, Jan 31, 2013.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    if Blue will bring something worthy to the table,i think 15-20 usd will justify ,but no more than that.
    Apple users are paying 19,99 for a ´superior OS´.
    more,if early W8 adopters will have to pay for it i really do not know.
    For already W8 user free of charge,and for those willing to upgrade from previous version a normal price

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    True... but Apple users have also already paid quite a lot of money for their computers... pretty much all of which goes straight to Apple. I also can't imagine them making it FREE to people who already own Windows 8.... since it DOES require development time.

And i think to say that they're paying for a "Superior OS" would require a basis for that. Yes, i'm sure OSX is lovely.... but if you actually look at the updates you get for that $20... it doesn't seem like they update a whole lot. It almost seems akin to iOS updates. Add a new feature or two, and fix a few little issues.

Sykozis: For one, they gave pretty much EVERYBODY the opportunity to upgrade from basically any previous version of Windows to Windows 8 PRO for $40.... for what, 3 months? Considering previous upgrade prices, that was basically a steal already. And people still refused to update. Their loss. I can't imagine a $40 Windows Blue update option working for Windows 7/Vista.... unless they happen to start it off again at a $40 upgrade price as they did with Windows 8... and do something cheaper for people who already have Windows 8.... but i don't imagine much more will happen other than that. That is to say if the $40 rumor is true.

3. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Apple only has to roll out the OS to a handful of different systems. All large PC manufacturers have more different models in their lineup and they aren't producing the OS themselves.
    Apple has to have something to keep their customers happy.

4. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    It will be free to 8 users.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    OSX being a "superior OS" is quite questionable considering the extent to which Apple went to lock users out of the system.

I doubt that since Windows "Blue" won't be a service pack....and MS shareholders aren't going to favor the company losing money.

6. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
  7. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Looks neat.... but seeing as i only really use Metro apps..... uuh.... never..... don't think i need that.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Looks interesting....but I'm happy with my current configuration.

9. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    looks like stardock is going to try to make it so the modernmix program will be able to have settings so you can have audio playing in the apps while doing other things.

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    To Windows 8 users or just 8 people? :p

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Neither. MS is moving to a "yearly" release schedule....wouldn't make sense to move to such release schedule and then give away their software. Windows "Blue" is the first of the "yearly releases".....

12. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    just a random thought. but windows 8 would of been cooler with motion support instead of touch screen using webcams.

dont smart tv have motion control?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  13. freeZ

freeZ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 PE
    I like this. Makes viewing pictures a little less tedious.

14. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Quite a few updates for Windows 8 today. A few highlights...

When you try to install and run certain games or applications in Windows 8 or in Windows Server 2012, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
    • The game, the application, or the driver is installed incorrectly.
    • The game, the application, or the driver causes system instability.
    • The primary functions of the game, of the application, or of the firmware do not work correctly.
    This update package resolves the following issues:

• Improves reliability of USB 3.0 device initialization.
    • Resolves an issue in which the On-Screen Keyboard displays incorrectly when you use a RemoteApp app.
    • Resolves an issue that could cause errors when you manage a Group Policy Object (GPO) that has software installation settings.
    • Improves Wi-Fi reliability when Windows 8 devices resume from hybrid sleep.
    • Provides consistent rendering of bold text for some Windows 8 apps when compared to earlier versions of Windows.

15. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    strange now my android phone wont stay connected to my computer after the updates.disconnects and reconnects, or that my usb connection on my phone is acting up again....

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

16. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Most Smart TV's i've seen that have "Motion Control" use what seems like nothing more than the type of in-air mouse you can find from companies like Gyration.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "touch screen using webcams"

17. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I want to try and get these 3 updates finally installed correctly and could use some insight. I was advised a while back to reinstall/refresh Windows using a special method to register the auth key, but frankly I don't want to redo everything and it's not that crucial.. it's just annoying my OCD!

Anyways, since the updates came out I can NOT install them. They will download fine, but when it goes to reboot it comes back with "reverting changes" and reboots again. I have tried installing each update individually, uninstalled/disabled my sound card (xonar DX), disabling nvidia/onboard sound, disabling services/startups, and made sure no nalperion services were running.. but nothing seems to work.

The 3 updates are:
    kb2756872
    kb2769165
    kb2770917

Any ideas? All other updates since then install just fine, but I can't help to think I'm missing out on some nice fixes with these 3 unable to install.

18. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Open the Windows Update troubleshooter by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering Troubleshooting in the search box, tapping or clicking Settings, and then tapping or clicking Troubleshooting. Under System and Security, tap or click Fix problems with Windows Update.

Method 2
    Perform System File Check (SFC), and then check if this fixes the issue.

Follow the steps:

a. Press “Windows Key + C” to open Charms Bar.

b. Type “cmd” without quotes in the search box.

c. On the left pane, right click on the “cmd” option and select “Run as Administrator”.

d. Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit enter.

Note: It may ask for windows installation DVD to fix and to enable SFC to make more than minor repairs. Some files saved on your computer might get deleted when fixing corrupted files.

19. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I forgot to mention that I've actually done both those before with no success, as I was almost certain it was a corrupt system file issue when I first ran into the problem. Thanks for the suggestions though!

20. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    a tech that would sense your hand or finger near the screen and would react to your hand or finger movements instead of actually touching the screen.