Windows 8.1 build 9471 x64 has leaked

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 12, 2013.

1. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    People are still waging war against those who like Windows 8 and those who don't eh? Personally, I don't mind Windows 8, completely home with Windows 8. As for the comments, if you do like Windows 8, congrats. If you don't like Windows 8, congrats, you get to keep Windows 7. Not sure why all the yelling...

deltatux

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Some people are ignorant enough to think their way, is the only right way.

This being an "enthusiast" forum, doesn't change facts. Whether people like it or not, we're the minority of users. Companies like MS don't actually care what we want or like. They only care what appeals to the majority of consumers. Whether we, as "enthusiasts" like it or not, consumers are in fact shifting from desktops and laptops to tablets and smartphones. Eventually, the desktop computer [as we know it] will disappear. Even Intel sees where things are headed. If the market wasn't trending in favor of greater mobility, Intel wouldn't be spending the money to develop SoC's to compete against processors using ARM IP. MS is trying to find a way to get a foot hold in the mobile market and their only hope at this point is to use the Windows platform to lure customers in.

Trying to ignore the facts doesn't change them and hiding behind an "enthusiast" forum doesn't either.... Things are going mobile and there's nothing we can do to stop it....

3. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    I am not going to use 8.1. It simply doesn't make sense to have a user interface designed for a small mobile touchscreen device on a large hi-res monitor controlled by a mouse and keyboard. No thanks. I rather have an UI designed specifically for a PC.

4. Akhkaru

Akhkaru Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB WF
    So does an addiction to sugar, caffiene, PCs, cigarettes, food, etc.

5. Akhkaru

Akhkaru Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB WF
    Also, I have both Windows 8 and Windows 7 on my PC and I use 8 a lot more. Now, does that mean that it's better in all regards? No. Does it mean I like it more? Yes, in my opinion it's better in the regards of which I'm interested. There's no need to argue, things can coexist without bickering between the two (or more) parties. This isn't politics.

6. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Do what I did. Buy 2 240GB SSD drives and install Win 7 on one and Win 8 on the other. Problem solved. :banana:

7. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    You don't have to use Metro....

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Even without this program....MS enabled the user to boot to desktop in 8.1. You don't have to look at Metro ever if you don't want to. You just don't get the fully customizable startbar/superbar from Start8.

You are missing out on faster SSD and faster OS performance all around by sticking to Windows 7.

This is coming from someone who swore by Windows 7.

This is exactly right, and what I've been trying to say for a long time now. We have to step up and fix things ourselves, thus what Stardock did for us.

There are other programs like classic shell out there, but out of all the ones I've used Start8 still takes the top spot.

Should we have to? No. But I'm not going to miss out on an otherwise superb OS when I can spend a measly 5 bucks to get a fully functional startbar back.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  8. HairyCube

HairyCube Active Member

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
    Any real evidence to back up this myth? I've tried both Windows 8 RTM and 8.1 Preview on my computer, and both are a bit slower than my 2-year-old Windows 7 installation, especially in terms of starting up. It's funny how they advertise much faster startup times, while in fact it starts up even slower if you boot to desktop and use a Start Menu replacement program (I use StartIsBack). The only scenario when it gets slightly faster is when you use the "Fast startup" option which is not helpful at all when you're installing updates or drivers.
    Would I trade this pretty much useless option for a much uglier and less functional OS? No. At least not until they realize that Metro UI and plain, flat design in general were a horrible decision.

9. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-n...s-sets-automated-trim-for-ssd-health-comfort/

http://www.techspot.com/review/561-windows8-vs-windows7/page2.html

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-vs-windows-7-benchmarked_p2-7000002671/

http://kotaku.com/5935337/lets-see-how-windows-8-performs-against-windows-7

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406668,00.asp

And it's gotten even better since these older articles. I could link more but i think this is plenty. Please be sure to read the articles fully, and keep in mind Windows8 has become even faster since these articles.

Windows 7 is only good for the Superbar, and I can get that back easily in Windows 8/8.1.

I don't know how many times I have to tell people.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE METRO. Invest 5 bucks in Start8 or wait until Windows 8.1 which you can choose to boot natively to desktop.

I still recommend Start8 with Windows 8.1 for the Start/Superbar.

Stop with the Metro BS guys...really....I haven't looked at Metro Since Windows8 launch...

10. HairyCube

HairyCube Active Member

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
    Thanks for the links. Well, regarding the first link, TRIM is supported by Windows 7, and "Optimize Drives" in Windows 8 is just a renamed Defragmenter. From what I understood from the article, all it does for an SSD is turning automated TRIM on, which is also supported in Windows 7 and should have been turned on in the first place.

Regarding other links... Well, I have read them all, and it's just not true on my system. I have no idea where they got these numbers from, I am talking about my experience. A fresh Windows 8 installation was slower than Windows 7 on the same SSD. I tried really hard to squeeze maximum speed out of it, but I just can't see better performance. I also tried installing Windows 8 on an old netbook, and didn't see any significant performance increase either, apart from slightly smoother window animations (which is obvious because they removed Aero Glass). Also, it started up much slower.
    Regarding the interface, I wasn't talking only about the Start Screen, which you can indeed avoid with 3rd party tools. I was talking about design and customization on a broader scale. Windows 7 was simply better looking and there were many more customization options. For example, you could set a different background image for logon/shutdown/reboot screen (the default one wasn't bad either). In Windows 8, you get a plain color. Also, when you click on the network icon in system tray, instead of a neat network manager you get this horrible sliding panel on the right, which takes a lot of screen space yet manages to be less functional than its Windows 7 counterpart. Or these "there's a new program to open this stuff" toasts... Or the way you change user account picture (you have to go to PC settings so you can't avoid Metro here). It just looks so inconsistent and ugly. Or how about the removal of glow in window titles? Dark colors in window titles look like crap now, unless you bring the glow back with a 3rd party theme.
    So yes, there are problems with design, and they're not completely avoidable yet.

11. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    No bro, It's not just re-named to defragmenter. It actually knows what an SSD is, and optimizes/TRIMs it.

It's not the same as Win7's defragmenter at all. Windows 8 you don't need to disable anything for SSD's. All features are programed now to work with the SSD not against it.

As I said before, If you don't own an SSD Win8 won't do much for you. But for SSD owners Windows 8/8.1 is the OS to look at.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013