Windows 8.1 build 9471 x64 has leaked

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 12, 2013.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    perhaps you need to realizethat tablet and phone ARE NOT A PC DESKTOP. much like MS.

If i wanted my PC to look and feel like a tablet/Phone OS I wouldnt have PC desktop to begin with.

I have absolute no love for that metro crap on the desktops just like I had no love for ME/VISTA and now Win8 those OS will never be on personal computers of mine as defualt OS I didnt like 8 when it came out and I still dont like 8.1. Nor have or will i recommend them, All the people i know that got WIN8 on premade pc regereted not getting it with win7 instead.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    MS is a business just like any other. They look at market trends, see what consumers are buying and try and make a market share for themselves out of it. Besides, it only cost me £40 to upgrade from Windows 7, and personally I don't have a problem with it.

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ok thanks :)

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    is that where there is more hate for win8 floating around the internet then love? the enthusiasts that want and crave the lates and great no mater what are the minority. you might like but for ever one that likes it is probably 2 that dont like that just dont say anything cause they know MS is force feed us weather it is liked or not. MS is they only company that cant get away with this cause they MONOPOLIZE the PC sector cause 99% of use the OS and need it cause 99% of all software is writen for it.

They tried this force feeding with the Xbox one you saw how fast they reversed there force feeding mentaily when they realized they would castrate them selves in the console market if they did?

Any other company would of been in trouble of monopolizing they market seeing there are laws against that. but seeing 99% of all PC use there OS and 99% of all Software uses it they get away with it. and any one that dont see this or just ignores that is just as to blame for the problem.

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Microsoft must not be too concerned with piracy when they allow phone activation of their pirated OS and still give you support if it's needed.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They don't have to be in order to have a single design that drives both. You seem to think that because Microsoft has created an interface that fails to live up to your requirements that the base idea (unified interface between tablets and desktops) is flawed. Which in my mind is ridiculous. Not only do multiple people find Windows 8 adequate for their needs, it's not even close to the pinnacle of what design could achieve.

So seriously, what exactly do you find to be the problem with using Windows 8, or 8.1 as a desktop user? What problems are you running into specifically that causes you to have to switch back? Because so far not a single opponent to Windows 8 has been able to clarify what it is they hate about the OS. It usually just turns into "IT FEELS LIKE A TABLET ITS GARBAGE" which tells me nothing.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Find things is royal in in the ass compared to win7 cause they felt the need to change move things. and 99% of DO NOT want to relearn something they barely under stand how to us. Im not talking about the Etheusisntes here Companies do not want to retriand people to understand something that has not changed in years, that was changed just for the sake of change cause phones/tablets where gaining momentum.

I hate the metro, hate the fact they removed star menu, Cause I use that ever day and so does everyone I know that hates win8. ( dont bring up 3rd party hacks either 90% of people arnt gona know or want to to "hack" there os) I still hate that Vista and up no long let your tweak your TCP settings like XP did.

Just cause the enthusiast like win8 dont mean everyone does and damn near everyone on forums like this or just that enthusiasts that crave all this. which are the minority just like the people that OC everything.

why would they i guarantee they use all the people that have "pirated" win8 OS running as data to win8 is doing well.

8. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    I hated vista and Me,but 8 was a bit more getting used to i'm mainly on the desktop and if i need something i'm in metro and can find it easily.Its i think just a way of getting used to_On my second pc i still run 7 and i still like that OS aswel they both feel good in my humble opinion.

9. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    For most people it's the same thing with a few tweaks but they did add a few new things. Here's a list of changes.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dn140266.aspx

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Even though it was a buggy POS, I loved Windows ME, it booted in seconds, which was good because it did that many times a day

Loved the Vista leaks, but hated RTM > SP2

Hated 8 RTM, but 10 months on, its now my main OS

11. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    yeah right...you can get arma2 or 3 on them now lol, until the day i have to change to win8 i will stay where i am

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Umm..... you think a tablet or smartphone can do anything that a Haswell, 16GB, NVidia 7xx series can do ?

13. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    People don't really care about that. Most use the internet for Facebook and social media, that's about it. If they want to play games, they either use a Smartphone or buy a console.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol, you're in the wrong forum to say people don't care about high end PCs

If all you do is visit FB and play daft flash games, then yea, tablet or smartphone will do, but 99% of members here want to play real games, with real graphics, that use all of their £1000+ custom built rig

Smartphone or tablet is for the bus or the train

EDIT - Why do you have the specs you have if you think a smartphone will suffice ?

15. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW

Ghosty is right, more or less. You seem to be forgetting that we as PC enthusiasts are the minority in the computer world. We are the 1%'ers compared to the other 99% that want simplicity.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I was talking about us in this forum though :)

Agreed, we are a minority, but preaching about smartphones and tablets being able to do the same as a PC in G3D is just wrong

17. AlexKidd5000

AlexKidd5000 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    No way am I ever going to play games on a phone. I'm one of the seemingly few people who doesn't use FB, or play flash games. I use my PC for real games, youtube, music, web browsing, and whatnot. I rarely check my email unless I know I'm gonna get something important enough to check it. I AM a simple kind of computer user, and yet I am never gonna buy a smartphone. I like the traditional desktop GUI, and my PC is far more powerful than any smartphone. If the day comes when desktops are no longer possible to buy, or games seize to be made for them, is the day I just stop using any and all computers altogether. Smartphone PC's just scream "Locked down, tightly controlled, and more expensive ecosystem" to me.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Well they certainly didn't change things because they felt like changing them; changes were made because it yielded better results in specific scenarios. Obviously most of those led to significant benefits when working with a tablet or touch screen device but there are definitely things that improved when using a keyboard and mouse as well.

Previously with the start menu you had quick access to 10 items, that number is now up to 72 with a 1080p display.

Those items are also now capable of conveying information to the user without having to open a specific app in the form of live tiles. Sure there is a slight learning curve to adapting to the new interface, but in terms of usability it's worth the week it takes to learn it.

Pretty much all the tweaks they made were done based on metrics they've gathered from Windows 7 users. It's the same way they built 7. This usually works decently in practice but I'm of the opinion that it will eventually stifle innovation. For example when designing Windows 7 they determined that the majority of users in Windows Vista primarily stuck to one monitor, so mult-imonitor support took a back seat in 7 development because they felt like users didn't have need for it. One could argue that users we're sticking to one monitor because the support for multiple was lacking in the first place. Regardless overall the changes they made in 8 was well worth the $40 to me. I'd definitely like to see more customization and additional explorer functionality added (I want tabbed explorer out of the box).

Anyway, we have a huge net gain for touch screen devices and a small one for keyboard & mouse users in turn for a minimal learning curve. I think it's worth the trade but I've yet to really here a compelling argument otherwise. People just keep saying that it's "bad" but not really explaining how the changes impact their workflow in anyway shape or form.

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I don't use FB either, I hate that site with a passion

There are too many enthusiasts in the world for PCs to stop existing

I have a smartphone, a tablet, a laptop and a PC

The phone I use to talk to friends on Whatsapp mainly and mess with in bed while watching a film

The tablet I rarely use for anything other than flashing custom ROMs

The laptop I never use other than installing pre-release OSs / Linux when Im bored

I am 99.9999% on my PC all day

20. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB

QFT. i love my samsung s3 though great smartphone, i use facebook at times to troll my mates who post many picture like it ****ing beauty contest... BUT i love pc WAY more than those, nothing can be compared to multitask on it, while gaming listening to music, surfing web, viewing live steam, downloading new borderlands 2 DLC, and PC screams BITCH PLEASE DO MORE...