Windows 7's Lack of Backwards Compatability

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by CCchips, Feb 12, 2009.

1. CCchips

CCchips Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5970 2048Mb
    Windows 7 has had all its backward compatability removed, something that was holding back Vista. What does this mean for my older games? I'm fine with DOS-based games, since I virtualise DOS using DOSBox, but I'm afraid that games like System Shock 2, FreeSpace 2 and Baldur's Gate won't run any more.

What level of system resources are required to virtualise an entire operating system, and is it more CPU or RAM intensive?

2. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Time to use some spare parts and build an older machine to run older games, or even better DUAL BOOT and use VMware:nerd:

3. Im2bad

Im2bad Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 4GB

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  4. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    windows 7 usually works fine unless your using the 64bit version then well duh its not gona work with games that use 16bit exes and stuff like that.

you will find that vista 32bit & win7 32bit are very close to the games they can support.

anyone tryed compat mode its great has made alot of things work for me.

5. CCchips

CCchips Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual booting sounds like a better option than virtualisation. What would I need to dual-boot several OS's (e.g. HDD)? Don't worry about how to set it up - I'll get someone else to do it for me.

6. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Time to break out the Win98 floppys (yes, I have 98 on FLOPPY's!)

7. MrN

MrN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800GT
    If you use one OS most of the time and occasionally use the other OS, the easiest way to dual boot is to put each on a separate hard drive.
    When you want to boot to the non-default OS, use the motherboard device boot menu to select it.
    If you don't it boots to the default OS and you won't have to make any selection.

If you do it right, if some day one OS is wiped intentionally or unintentionally, the other continues to work with no need to make any repairs.

8. vindassius

vindassius Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    ha ha ha imagine the fun you'd have trying to get your drivers to work with your board :D ha ha ha my msi would have a fit if i threw 98 at it...

9. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Exactly how incompatible is it? I was planning windows 7 64 bit, but will it support 32 bit games- older, but not dos old? I mean like HL2, far cry, MOHAA......
    pretty much the classic shooter stuff?
    I hate to think everything will be obsolete, but I have no experience with 64 bit, so I guess now's the time to find things like this out.

Edit, never mind,I just saw the compatibility list. :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  10. CCchips

CCchips Master Guru

GPU:
    Exactly how incompatible is it? I was planning windows 7 64 bit, but will it support 32 bit games- older, but not dos old?

When I mean old, I really do mean old! Like Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny or Return to Krondor old. popular games of the relatively recent past, like Far Cry and Half-Life 2 will definitely be supported, unless Microsoft doesn't want the vast majority of gamers to switch OS.

If you use one OS most of the time and occasionally use the other OS, the easiest way to dual boot is to put each on a separate hard drive.
    When you want to boot to the non-default OS, use the motherboard device boot menu to select it. If you don't it boots to the default OS and you won't have to make any selection.

I'm liking this idea, but I won't be able to use WinXP's reserved space when using Win98. Also, the older games that aren't as old as DOS, such as Icewind Dale have problems running on multi-core CPUs. Graphical corruptions occur too frequently and cannot be fixed (believe me I've tried).

If I am going to use 2 HDD, I'll have to find which of my older games can be supported by which OS, preferrably the newest, and the calculate how large a HDD to dedicate to a singe OS. I currently have a 80Gb SATA drive as well as a 70Gb IDE drive (I didn't want to throw it away). I could use the SATA drive and a newer drive (I'm currently looking at a Seagate 400Gb 7200rpm 0.32Gb/s SATA) for WinXP for the time being - that is until Windows 7 is released and has it's bugs fixed - and use the older IDE drive for games that don't require the speed of a SATA under Win98 (e.g. FreeSpace & Baldur's Gate).

What do you think?

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think that with current development in virtualization technology, by the end of the year you'll see support for graphics hardware acceleration. You'll be able to play all these games through that.

12. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    so do i, well its not been used in like 8 years, i guess it still works, might just rebuild my old AMD 2000+ PC and install it.

13. CCchips

CCchips Master Guru

GPU:
    But you don't know that for sure. I'm definitely considering dual-booting as an option, but if that kind of virtualisation technology is developed, maybe the problems with multi-core CPUs being used for single-core CPU gaming will go away.

14. JC[UK]

JC[UK] Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GT 540m
    I've been playing fallout 1 & 2 aswell as longest journey and system shock 2 on windows 7 32bit without any problems.

15. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD

16. soldier1st

soldier1st Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4250
    you could try to virtualize the apps that are giving you trouble and see if they work.

17. vindassius

vindassius Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    well im running windows 7 x64 and i've not come across any issues with the games i've installed so far:

Crysis
    Splinter Cell - Double Agent
    Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter...

will try post later with everything i've got installed and running...hrm time to dig out some v v old games (sniper any1) :D

18. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    No surprise there. None of those games are even close to 'old'.

19. CCchips

CCchips Master Guru

GPU:
    What?!?! That is legendary! I still have problems with Icewind Dale II on WinXP 32-bit. I bought the Icewind Dale collection, but I've never been able to play the second game without turning on all the in-game graphics options that fix the visual issues (e.g. BLT), but then it moves ridiculously slow. I will definitely be looking forward to Windows 7.

And to the guy that suggested Crysis... wut... just wut...