Windows 7

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by cockneysean, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seyKo

seyKo Master Guru

GPU:
    -zotac geforce gtx260²
    updated my setup, the one in my profile was my old computer...

2. seyKo

seyKo Master Guru

GPU:
    -zotac geforce gtx260²
    installed the 179.23 drivers from laptopvideo2go and opengl works with cs 1.6 again :)

lost like 1200 points on vantage but newer games like burnout etc. work flawlessly too... i'll stick to these till better drivers come out...

thanks for your help :)

3. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Thanks dude. It seems a lot of programs & games use IE for stuff. This step fixed all my network issues!! Thanks!!!

4. 30+MrGAS

30+MrGAS Member

GPU:
    EVGA2x8800GT512G92's
    Vista ult 64/win 7 32/xp pro 32

I have vista Ult 64 b on one hard drive alone and xp pro and win 7 (both 32 bit) on second hard drive.

i want to get rid of vista and move/copy win 7 to that hard drive.

no problem with reformating vista drive...but should i then or before (format ) partion vista drive and then can i move my complete working win 7 instead of clean install?

basically just want to simple drag and drop from one hdd to other....is it possible?

just want to get vista 64 off my machine and i like the win 7 i have running.

would be nice to have win 7 on one drv and xp pro on ther both in 32 bit.

startin to ramble.....:wanker:

5. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Win7 looks great but so far I couldn't get a single game to install on it. Install programs launch but they just "run" in the background doing nothing. To make sure I let the COD4 install program run for 3 days but apart from being loaded in memory absolutely nothing happens. :(

Update: the install finally launched after a slight 74-hour delay. I consider myself a patient guy but this is beyond slow.

Update 2: While the game did install, it still won't work.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  6. vindassius

vindassius Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    well i've got it installed with all drivers...8800gtx auzentech xplosion and the intel chipset drivers...my tv tuner has installed also...not tried any games just yet...1:28am in the morning now...think i'll wait till 2moz :D

7. shish

shish Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GT260
    My pleasure !!! Glad to help a cs'er !!!

8. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    I think most problems are to blame on not having any Win7 chipset drivers for the X38. The Vista64 chipset driver won't install. Tried drivers from both Asus and Intel, twice got the message "OS not supported". It's probably utterly useless to troubleshoot anything as long as those drivers aren't available, since all other drivers depend on them.

Under Win7 there are issues with reported system specs as well. CPU-z reports my core speed as 2.6GHz when it's actually 4.0GHz. Win7 System info simply reports the default 3GHz clock.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    This is rather embarrassing to admit, but I haven't even been able to install Win7.

I keep getting install errors and in the end gave up.....

10. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    did you burn at lowest speed possible? i get those alot if i burn too fast.
    sometimes the disk media is just plain junk. did you buy very cheap dvd's?

try reburning, different media if possible.

11. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Try Active Iso Burner, my favourite 1 click iso software.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yep done all that, different media, different burner, different program, Alchohol120, GBurner, ImageISO, ISOBurner, unattended install, partitioned drive, non partitioned drive, LBA, CHS, LRG, Auto, different drivers, different HDD, 2x,4x,8x, CD,DVD, Book type, 1:1 copy, finalised, unfinalised, multi session, fast error skip, 64 bit, 32 bit, prayed, danced, begged etc etc....you get the picture......:bang:

Could be the file, but I really don't want to d/l another 4 GB again.

13. kenace0

kenace0 Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx geforce 9600 gt
    try running it in computability mode :) :)

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Try build 7022.. the installer has been updated and whatnot. It's way faster so maybe you won't get any issues.

15. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Thanks, that did the trick :D

I managed to get COD4 to install but it keeps crashing (computer freezes) after a few minutes. To make sure it wasn't OC related I ran the computer at default clocks but still the same problem. Grr

Tested for diver problems. Tried latest Vista64 drivers and the game would run for 5-6 minutes before crashing. Tried 182.05 beta drivers but this caused the game to crash while loading. Definitely appears to be a driver issue. Not much I can do unless I can find third-party drivers that work. For the GTX 295 the odds appear pretty slim :(

I'm gonna try installing other games to see if happens with all games but I ain't holding my breath.

Update: 185.20 beta drivers solved the problems with COD4. Will try other games to see if they work.

Update 2: MOHA still won't install :(

16. seyKo

seyKo Master Guru

GPU:
    -zotac geforce gtx260²
    does windoze update itself via windowsupdate? i installed build 7000 3 days ago :O

17. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    You're doing it wrong.

Sincerely,
    Captain Obvious.

*Edit, glad you got the info about compatibility mode. A few thing about the games. You should be using 181.22 WHQL drivers, make sure you have the latest DX 9 updates (download the Direct X 9 Web Installer).

I haven't had one single game not install. Also under internet options > connections make sure all the boxes are unchecked.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  18. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    The 7022 leaked is a 32 bit version, there is also a 7032 version somewhere.
    Waiting for the 64 bit........:nerd:

19. seyKo

seyKo Master Guru

GPU:
    -zotac geforce gtx260²
    well those drivers suck in gta 4, fear2 etc... :(

today i upgraded to the new 182.50 betas, now i get the same issue in CS again.. isn't there a workaround for this problem?

20. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    The Beta 185.20 are the only drivers that won't crash the system under Win7 even though 181.22 works great under XP. From what I was able to gather over the Net it appears that Win7 is not yet fully compatible with the GTX 295. Not really surprising since it's a new card and even XP/Vista weren't at ease with it until a few weeks back. Because of this I have uninstalled Win7 until fully working drivers become available.

When I re-install it it will be on its own drive, not dual boot. When I want to use Win7 I'll just disconnect the XP drive and vice versa. Currently I have four internal drives totaling 1.5 Tb but most of the space is used for storage so I'll ship those files to a pair of external 1Tb drives I have ordered which will leave plenty of space on the internal drives to install all the programs I want for both OS's, each on their own drive(s).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.