Windows 7

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by cockneysean, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    Anybody using SoundMax Audio in 7? I can't seem to get my mic working using either vista soundmax drivers or the HD audio Microsoft installed for me.

2. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
  3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Creative isn't a monopoly. Not even close. More people use Realtek audio, than Creative's crap. Most onboard sound is Via or Realtek. Hard to avoid buying one of their audio chipsets. Creative is very easy to avoid though. Most people, as long as they have audio....won't waste money on a creative product.

4. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    your right,theres no monopoly there, though i dont consider creative to be a waste of money. actually most of its customers dont experience much issues. its only the ones that do that you hear about the most. i've owned 3 of thier cards and they always worked great and sounded great in games, setup and configs make the difference i guess.

5. studabakahawk

studabakahawk Master Guru

GPU:
    2-SOC GTX 460 768 MB SLI
    hi im a little late to the dance, and i see the amount of posts is quite daunting. so ill ask a question that im sure has been asked already, I have Win XP pro 32 bit. ive D\L'd the 64 bit version of Win7 I suppose id be better off creating a separate partition to install the new OS into, Right?
    Ive seen many posts over the years of people who have Win XP and Vista on same HD but im not sure how to run dual boot.
    im not interested in vista period. But if win 7 is less Buggy and less memory hungry
    Id like to give it a try i already have 64 bit version burned to a disk , now i just need some advice before i install it.
    I know im being lame i read a few posts but i simply dont have the time to burn through 44 pages of posts to find this info, I work 12 hr shifts and when im not working life seems to pull me back in every time i think i can get away. ( wife , 2 teenage kids, life in NYC in general) could someone please direct me to solid info on this O\S and its install guide , and please not microsofts gobbldygook! Im looking for something posted by one of our astute Gurus .
    Thanks This venue has always given me answers i can use and info i can share

6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    Creative is monopoly outside the integrated business, that's right most people use Realtek and i'm glad i went to Audigy SE, even with this low end sound card the difference is there.
    However creative lacks good support and good drivers and not crippled on purpose, i hope they learned their lesson, otherwise this time they will dance with the death.

7. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    1.) It uses the same amount of memory as Vista.

2.) This version is still pretty buggy, but pretty much works for the most part. It should put Vista to utter & complete shame when the final version is released.

3.) Yes you will need a separate hard drive or parti tion to install this on for dual boot. As far as dual booting goes (I've never done it on a windows machine but I used to on my Mac) I assume you create a separate parti tion/Hard Drive install it on that partition & then set the time to display your Operating Systems to 30 seconds or so. << You do that in the BIOS. I've also heard that windows 7 if installed as a dual boot will corrupt your Vista/XP partiti on. I would read up about this (there are a lot of posts here about it, just use the search feature)

8. xankazo

xankazo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    for dual booting you just need to create a new partition, boot from the W7 DVD and install W7 on it. as simple as that. Se7en will configure the boot table so you can have both OS's and choose which one you'll run when you turn on your machine. I've been dual booting since the Win98/Win2000 era.

but it's true, Se7en still has some noticeable bugs and some apps and drivers won't run on it. however it is really waaaay faster than Vista and it will KILL it once it's release. nobody will remember Vista's name when Se7en is out. I just hope I can have enough dough to buy the Ultimate version, otherwise Home Premium will have to do it.

9. studabakahawk

studabakahawk Master Guru

GPU:
    2-SOC GTX 460 768 MB SLI
    Thanks Gurus, Quick reply ; to the point and looks like im just going to pat myself on the back for missing the whole Vista revolution. ( that was Guru advice as well!)
    Best site I know of for hashing things out and staying above the leading edge.

10. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    I was disappointed also that windows 7 wasn't x64 only. I am starting to see how x32 is holding x64 back. So far I really like windows 7. It has some issues but hardware wise it is running great. I can't launch a few of my games and i am still having issues with the standby mode but I have been using it as my main OS since it launched and I like it.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There are still too many 32bit processors out for Microsoft to release X64 only.

12. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    yep. and seeing how Windows 7 is capable of running on lower end systems than Vista could dream of.... cutting off the 32-bit CPU market would have been a serious shot in the foot. Another reason is due to the fact that Intel's Atom CPU's in netbooks aren't 64-bit.... and MS seems to really like the idea of 7 on netbooks.

13. TDurden

TDurden Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Just a thought:
    has any of you actually noticed SLOWER performance in some areas than Vista??
    because of all those optimizations done to consume less memory?

14. nehir

nehir Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Geforce GTX 295
    windows 7 and vista 64 bit = same performance. :banana:

btw all i can say that windows 7 will be better than vista.

15. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Nope. It still uses the same amount of Memory, but it's definitely a lot faster. It's using a lot less of the system services that is for sure.

16. TDurden

TDurden Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
  17. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    well.... we ARE talking about a beta OS.... which even though it runs great for it's stage, DOES Have things that need fixing. we're ALSO talking about The Inq..... who has developed a HUGE reputation of taking anything they say with an oil tanker of salt.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Don't think I've ever seen a believable article from the Inq. Seen a lot of good comedy articles though. I'd like to see Win7 loaded on that nVidia Ion that Hilbert reviewed. Would like to see that Ion released in the form it was in for Hilbert's review also....that'd be awesome.

19. jrcallan

jrcallan Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8600gts
    I guess I'm in over my head, but IE8 is REALLY slow in my W7 64bit installation. Everything else is fine, but I never noticed www.007guard.com malware sucking up my network bandwidth on Vista 64bit. IE is now really a slow pain, so much so that I had to give Firefox a try. I like it, but I just want to find out how to permanently remove any trace of 007guard malware (internet monitor).

20. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Windows 7 64 bit 7000 works fine for me, the only real problem I have experienced is IE 8 stopped working and one BSOD. I can care less because I use Fire Fox but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem?

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

What you can try:
    Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

•Internet connectivity has been lost.
    •The website is temporarily unavailable.
    •The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
    •The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
    •There might be a typing error in the address.
    •If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
    To view subscribed feeds

1.Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

1.Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
    2.Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page you want to view

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.