Windows 7

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by cockneysean, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    IE only (ActiveX crap)
    http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=windows 7 client nvidia raid

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/search.aspx?q=windows 7 client

People it's a milestone build you shouldn't expect every thing to just work, in fact i would say expect it to totally F'up the system. So don't install it on any system you need to have running. That means production and home systems that you need to have running. I'm just saying don't install it unless your willing to Alpha test. Sure it's working great for most people but don't expect it to be trouble free. Otherwise wait on the official beta.

2. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    Cool I will give that driver a try hopefully it has the same performance as the vista raid drivers im using atm. thanks

3. Aioras

Aioras Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    Seriously.... It´s a Pre-Beta and works ever better than Vista SP1.

For me at the main time is rock solid and really really fast OS.
    I´ll try a few games and see if it´s so good for playing too.

:banana:

4. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    The core should be pretty solid, and it is based on Vista so it's only all the new stuff or anything incomplete that should cause issues, and they have implemented the rule that only complete stuff should go in the build. Never the less, i wouldn't suggest installing it haphazardly, as it is still just a preliminary build and it may have serious bugs we just don't know about, not that i have seen any issues at all really.

Its just the more people that say it's great and works perfectly the more likely it is that other people that didn't consider installing it would now do so and not realizing the possible danger. We don't want people to mess up their systems unnecessarily.

But i agree it seems to run very smooth.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Have you seen the outcry over Office 2007? While IMO, it's way better, I know people who absolutely refuse to upgrade due to the new interface.

I think libraries do a very good job of organizing data types and bring a pretty large experience to the OS. I've read a few reviews of the OS already where the author is like "When going back to Vista one of the major things I miss is libraries =("

As for the mouse cursor, I don't have a problem with it and I think it's a little ridiculous to be like "well the OS is terrible because the cursor is ugly" especially if 3rd party software is available to change it. Also, as Animatrix said, if Microsoft is going to implement a new cursor it would be at the end of development.

6. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i dont like ribbon either.
    the mouse cursor comment i was reffering to vista. 6 years and billions in development yet vista has alot of things, both visual and interfacing thats taken from XP and not uplifted, some settings made harder to find by burying them deeper. i'm saying the ability to configure the OS to any users liking is very un-intuitive, feels more like an easter egg hunt.

as far as visuals and interfacing with Vista, what i disliked is that with a few applications, you can make XP look and feel exactly like Vista in most respects except DX10/security, things like that yet Vista always had that sludgier feel to it and you cant remove nearly as much stuff in Vista like you can in XP.

my Nlited Xp was not even 3 gigs footprint, Vlited Vista is 5 gigs. much more and its unusable, but really it'd be nice IMO, if MS would avoid the apps and simply make the OS intuitive to use applications...which is the whole point of an OS. instead they make restrictions and force installation of things you may not want or use.
    so W7 may work on that some by making mail/movie maker optional, but thats not enough. theres gigs of stuff besides those in Vista that can be removed.

7. darknight909

darknight909 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    I have been saying the same thing, I gave up.

For every 1 person you tell that this is in alpha 10 more come back saying "It still looks like vista"

People just don't listen.

8. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    It still looks like vista. :p

As long as the development doesn't go down the road that Longhorn decided to take I am really looking forward to Windows 7. It'll hopefully be what Vista should have been.

9. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Not going to happen, that's for sure. The build process and the starting point for the OS is completely different. The first builds of Longhorn was a major disaster, the M3 build of W7 is miles from the Longhorn M3 which was totally buggy and broken.

10. blitze

blitze Member Guru

GPU:
    Power Color 4870 1GB PCS+
    Agree with xrc6 with regards to MS's kitchen sink mentality towards their OS's. Would much prefer a decent and lean base OS with modular components which can be added as required by the end user.

Hell, even charge a low base OS fee and then small amounts for each component. Still, Vista x64 Business is quite a good OS without too much crap in it.

11. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    In the top picture you almost have 1337 pagefile performance (it says 1334MB for anyone who can't see it).

Win 7 looks good so far, I'm looking forward to it. Maybe I'll hold off on buying another 2GB RAM for a little while, if I can.

12. mehdi

mehdi Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5970
    Im gonna install windows 7 and wanted to know if I have to use the ati vista drivers on it?
    and will my my lexmark printer work?

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The problem with this is development for such a platform is extremely difficult. The Singularity OS being developed by Microsoft Research was basically what you are talking about it. What happens is, a program is developed based on what the programmer thinks is available in the system. What happens when the user doesn't have that part of the system, it's in a different module that the user didn't install? You run into a lot of compatibility problems here that cause more hurt than good.

You can read more about it from Microsoft's engineers here -

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2008/09/06/reflecting-on-a-few-recent-threads.aspx

14. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    It is the way MS has always done it. Otherwise they will get swamped with support calls about why this and that doesn't work. It is for the same reason so many services are running out of the box. Remember Windows accounts for an insane amount of the global desktop market, it is a lot of users and many of them are far from being PC savvy. If they just remove one part, it may result in something like 50,000 extra support calls per day. Sure they can likely make good money on it but then they would just get hammered for that.

But it is possible using the setup part to investigate the users need and then install only that. But it still doesn't fix the issue that when the user then needs that functionality not originally installed during setup it need to be installed. It is still possible to auto install some of the stuff. E.g. on setup the user does not want Wi-Fi, so the Wi-Fi service is not going to be running, when the user then adds Wi-Fi hardware the system along with the device install also installs any needed services and whatever else might be needed. It will however make the system more vulnerable to errors caused by issues from this process failing, in part or altogether.

15. mehdi

mehdi Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5970
    So do I have to install vista ati drivers on Windows 7?

16. freeZ

freeZ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 PE
    ^Yup. Some only run in compatibility mode as well

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Eh, I rather enjoyed the beta's for Vista....I didn't have any performance or stability issues at all during them. First time I saw performance issues was in the Vista RTM. At least nobody has said W7 looks like XP.....lol

18. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    You must mean after the code reset. Which would make it the betas and not the milestones, because nobody enjoyed the first milestone builds of Vista, except masochists maybe lol. Can you remember what the first version you tried was ? As i said if it was called beta then it was after the reset and the betas were not that bad. The public beta was pretty good but Vista was almost done by then. No this milestone 3 build of windows 7 is nothing like the Vista milestone 3 build that's for sure.

----

Totally unrelated to Windows 7 and quite boring here are some "exciting" pics of Singularity :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://research.microsoft.com/os/singularity/

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=68302
    http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/Going+Deep/Singularity-Revisited/
    http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/Going+Deep/Singularity-III-Revenge-of-the-SIP/
    http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/Going+Deep/Singularity-IV-Return-of-the-UI/

http://www.codeplex.com/singularity
    http://www.codeplex.com/singularity/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=19428#ReleaseFiles

19. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    How is the HDD usage for Windows 7? Any obvious improvements over Vista's disk access, does it seem any better optimised for SSDs at this point?

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Animatrix, thanks for the Singularity SS. Any GUI for Singularity? I've been trying to get it, but Virtual PC won't run on Vista Home. I tried a few of the Longhorn "alpha leaks"....Beta2, RC1 and RC2. I had decent performance and stability with the "Longhorn alpha leaks" and with Beta2....RC1 and RC2 were stable but not the best performers. Vista SP1 seemed to get closer to the performance I had with the "alpha leaks" and Beta2. I'd believe that the performance difference was due to features being added to RC1 and RC2 that were missing in Beta2. Hoping for a shot at W7 around Beta2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.