Windows 7

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by cockneysean, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOFO64

MOFO64 Banned

GPU:
    9800GTX+ & 8800GT softTH
    yeah you mean swapfile set in ram? If you move the pagefile from mechanical disk to ram your system still pages, but to ram. Even if you disable the swapfile completely, windows still creates one. It's a fact that windows cannot function without a swapfile.....you may think you're disabling it completely but you aren't. This simply is not possible in a windows environment.

2. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    *Takes flaming gun* Blasphemy!

On topic: yes, 50GB should be enough for W7, it should take less space than Vista 64. And 50GB is recommended for Vista 64.

3. MOFO64

MOFO64 Banned

GPU:
    9800GTX+ & 8800GT softTH
    7 uses around 8GB-10GB of hard drive space iirc

4. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    That means 50GB IS enough :) Although take note, that size may increase on W7 x64 with time.

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Infact u r right. while i was on Xp i didnt notice that but in my G15 keyboard and everest software; it says PAGEFILE: 2.* GB/8GB total etc..or something like that..so it allocates to the RAM i guess. not sure..but its damn fast than reading from HDD. anyway, this is offtopic.

And yes 50GB will be fine.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  6. Daemon785

Daemon785 Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond HD 5870
    ive had no problems installing creative drivers for my soundcard, but i have a question. should i use nvidia drivers or what windows updates downloads? i mean, should i install vista x64 video and nforce drivers? or would that be bad for 7

7. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Can anyone get GTA 4 to install on x64 version?
    mine says, "your system in incompatable with %P"

8. Pyr0

Pyr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FTW3
    use compatibility mode for xp

9. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    so its godbye to minwin i guess..
    figures... oh where is WINFS :rolleyes:

10. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    to install it?...no running compatability for installer doesnt work
    same result.

Winfs is apparantly renamed to the following: search4.0, libraries and NT 7.0 or something like that. Winfs as a name is no longer, but apparantly alot of the code is still used, though it wasnt anything exciting, its still NTFS but with better search or something.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    What the hell are you talking about? Minwin is a term Microsoft coined that basically means the absolute essential to a Windows operating system. It has nothing to do with size. And 95% of WinFS features have been included since Vista released.

12. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Well since i had no vista or xp disc im using 7 as my full OS and god im loving everything works so perfect for me im using the 64bit so i can use all my ram aswell i would recommend anyone to try it.

13. ShivanSpS

ShivanSpS Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GT240
    ppl, this is a coincidence or Windows 7 just killed my DVD-RW... I know it sounds hard to undertood, i cant belive it either.

I was using Win7 x64 build 6934 for a while on my pc, but today i decided to install the 7000 build.

My machine is pretty well explaned there... i have 3 hard disks, 2 WD3200AAKS in Raid 0, and single WD1600AABS also in raid 0 i have to place in a raid either way the nvidia storage app always bother me about configuring a "new disk", since when you enable the raid mode in this mother all ports goes to raid mode(ive see other motherboard where you can select with ports to use the raid mode), incluiding the ones where a DVD drive is conected, this causes dvd drives to be displayed in the "storage devices" display of the megashield rom when the mother is booting up, not a big deal, since i have this motherboard megashield rom always displayed me the 149gb nvidia stripe, the 598gb nvidia stripe and my DVD-RW Pionner DVR-212 device conected in sata 0.3.

Ok, so, i formated my old partition, the win7 image was burned in a dvd, so from vista i used the dvd to install win7 in a partition, everything was ok, until the first restart, i noticed something wierd that never have happened to me before the boot time was very very very long, because the screen always hanged on the "starting windows" even the animated logo was freezed, for a minute, then everything continued, that always happend when i try to boot the win7 build 7000 x64, when the install was complete, i noticed that my DVD-RW drive was not displayed in my computer, either was in the device manager, wierd, that has never happened in the 6934 build, neither was the 1min freeze when booting.... i installed the nforce drivers, except for the storage ones (those always caused the system to never boot again, just restart cicle when attemping to boot up win7).

So i installed all drivers, and the dvd-rw was still missing.

When i booted back intro Vista, everything was fine, (no freeze when attempting to boot vista), and the DVD-rW was there and working, i even use it.

After some time i booted back intro Win7, several times, always the same problem no DVD drive in win7 and the 1min freeze when booting...

to make the history short, after several boots up in Win7 and Vista too, something happened in my last restart in windows 7... the Megashield rom taked longer to detect the devices and when presented the driver it was the 149gb strippe, the 598gb strippe and in sata 0.3 i have an... WD1600AABS 149gb... OMG! but is the DVD drive with is connected to the sata 0.3!!!

After that Vista also take the 1 min freeze and the dvd-rw was gone...

I disconected the dvd drive, and everything was fine, no freeze, neither in Vista or Win7 boot... i conected it back and it was the same, Megashield rom detects it as a "hard disk", but in a wierd way because is not avalible to select for creating a new strippe...

Its almost like Win7 corromped the flash of the dvd-rw drive...

I not sure what to think, it could be a conicidence. is really wierd i dont think this could happen... but the truth is, the dvd drive was still working fine under vista even when win7 took a 1 min freeze and not detecting it....

:3eyes::pc1: sorry for my english and the wall of text.

14. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i skimmed your thread but
    Sometimes or oftentimes when a peice of hardware goes bad, it goes quick and can happen after a reboot. hard drives,mobos,psu's and even dvd drives i have seen fail after a simple reboot. It can lead one to believe that whatever they did last caused it but in fact was doomed to happen anyway regardless.

likely the harshness of On/Off cycle finally did its last cycle of proper operation. However that certainly doesnt mean that something software couldnt have caused it. heck i had a starforce ring 0 driver screw up my dvd drive before due to its low level calls, like a result of poor firmware code in my dvd mixed with a low level call that didnt need to be there but....

15. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    @ShivanSpS

How does the drive look in the BIOS ?

Did you try just removing it and letting the OS reinstall it ?

Sounds more like an issue with the controller or something if i had to make a guess.

I very much doubt Win7 has any way of messing with the firmware of your ROM drive. You would need a special utility and it would likely only work on a specific model. But if you really think it's the firmware look for an update and flash it see if it helps.

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/content/support/support/software.html

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    ShivanSpS, also have to say that its very very unlikely W7 caused that to happen, try on a new sata/ide cable etc, and if it its dead it was probably on its way out anyway.

Not saying you are, but people love to blame software for breaking things, the only time i've broken hardware is by rebooting a PC half way through a bios update, and i took full responsibility for that.

More than likely just an uncanny co-incidence :( thankfully it was a optical drive which is cheap and not a data loss problem

17. ShivanSpS

ShivanSpS Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GT240
    Yeah. i mean i also thoght it was very unlikely...

Anyway, i just conected the drive again, and it was detected as it should, im using it right now... under Vista, it works fine, i also upgraded the firmware too, just in case. But i cant use it under Win 7... if i try to start win 7 i get the 1m freeze in the animation and the device is not detected by the system.

Addicionally, if i try to run a win7 install botting from the dvd, i also get the 1 m freeze in the animation and later on, i get an error about a file that it was not longer avalible.

Maybe the device is faulty, but i cant explaing why it works well under vista and having all those problems under win 7... it was working fine in a 6934 build of it a few hours ago too...

I dont know, maybe they remove the support for DVD devices that are under a raid controller? Someone can try it? I just copied 4gb from a dvd to my disk and everything was fine, and i using it to play a audio cd right now...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    In my system I run a SATA Sony DVD drive and my motherboard sets all my SATA drives to RAID/ACHI configuration - my drive works fine.

19. ShivanSpS

ShivanSpS Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GT240
    yeah because is another controller...

I made it work, i re-installed Win7 from Vista (i cant from booting dvd because of this issue), then instead of letting it use its own drivers i choose to load the drivers and i use the ones i have in my pendrive that i used in the past to install Vista x64, the installer accept them and after install everything is fine, no freeze, and the DVD drive is working fine on Win 7. Its seens that the nforce raid drivers incluided in the 7000 x64 build are screw up.

I will send a feedback asap.

Why i cant update my storage drivers after installing Win 7 is beyond me... if i do so the SO will never boot again. it enters in a reset cicle.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  20. easy2007

easy2007 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX470 4GB
    im very impressed with windows 7 very quick and doesnt hog resources i am running windows 7 on a X2 3800+ 1.5GB of ram and a nforce 3 chipset with a mx460 works prefectly no requires dx9 gpu bull**** to run mircosoft learned something :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.