Windows 7

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by cockneysean, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Didn't he say they woudn't allow that because it'd cause countless problems with future updates?

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
  3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    lol, someone from MS mentioned it, i recall reading about it recently, same as a promise. certainly MS has made tons of promise's over the years that never came to be.
    doesnt matter, its easy enough to customize your own builds manually. I think the reality is that MS wants users to use their apps and its thanks to the Monopoly lawsuit that we have Windows live with the option to put in Movie maker..etc

now some calling it "linux killer"
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/community/?p=151
    haha, dunno bout that

4. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    ... anyone have any response to my question? #735, just a few posts up

5. MOFO64

MOFO64 Banned

GPU:
    9800GTX+ & 8800GT softTH
    looks fairl enough give or take a few points mate. I get 7700 with Q6600 at 4Ghz and stock 9800GTX so......your defo not low.

With a few tweaks you'd make 8k.

also, do you have physx enabled or disabled?

6. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    physx is enabled. could probably also get a touch more if i actually had use of all 4GB of my memory. might install that later.... but i'm kinda thinkin about installing Vista again as my main OS for the time being.

7. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Does NBA 2k9 count as a STEAM game? well it is installed and played from STEAM (even if I have the DVD)
    Its my only STEAM game and what I doto play NBA 2k9 is to launch the STEAM that was installed in my Vista (in fact NBA 2k9 was installed under Vista) and launch NBA 2k9 from there.

SO now, even if i didnt install STEAM on my Windows7, STEAM is automatically launched when i boot up and I can play NBA 2k9 :)
    dunno if what Im saying makes sense though lol

8. EddieG

EddieG Master Guru

GPU:
    A few
    Couldn't tell ya but, my win 7 partition is ntfs.

9. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    ElementalDragon
    There are a few unneeded services running in the background and a few of the usual Windows tweaks seem to help improve performance. It's still early days, with time better driver support and updates to Direct X should improve things even more. I get the feeling that we are not yet seeing the full gaming performance this OS has to offer. With such a fast install and improved loading time of the desktop, I'm hoping that we might see a similar improvement with 3D. The couple of games I have tried seem to run very smoothly and the IQ was also quite nice to look at.

I forgot to look for WinFS when I was formatting partitions. The system partition seemed to be NTFS, but I never actually checked so I can't be sure. I might check out the formatting options when I install Win7 again, but I thought I heard something about WinFS being introduced at a later date, perhaps with a service pack if that is possible.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  10. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    WinFS (Windows Future Storage) seems to be way up in the air. lol

Also kinda seems like it's not really meant to be a replacement for NTFS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinFS

11. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    Ahh that's right, it's for storing information that can be related by different schemes either set by the user or the usual system organisational types. So music, pictures and other categories of data can be easily searched, organised or manipulated... in theory. ;) Other stuff as well which I can't remember. That wiki page before is probably a lot better at explaining it than me at present :p

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    WinFS was never intended to replace NTFS. But, as I recall, it's essentially just a database that runs on top of NTFS to improve search times. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Ya know....would have been easier for you to say I was partially wrong or completely wrong...lol. Basically, what that blog said was that they don't want to give you options as to what installs because it could potentially cause problems with OS stability or software installations...am I right this time? lol

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah - I mean as a developer you develop expecting the users to have certain "Dependencies." If the user has the option to remove these at install it becomes problematic, as the user will go to download the software and it just doesn't work. Under most Linux distros you have a package manager that manages the dependencies, but Microsoft feels like it makes everything feel connected anyway - and I kind of agree. And it's not like it's impossible to remove stuff, Nlite/Vlite and I'm sure a 7lite will come out and you'll easily be able to add/remove drivers, etc.. and all will be will.

I do agree that cluttering the install with useless questions isn't necessary - especially when 99% of the users who even know you can remove stuff like this know of applications that allow for it. If you go into control panel --> Uninstall a program --> Turn Windows features on or off you can remove a bunch of **** if you don't want it.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I run a standard install....if MS wanted the installer to put it there...it's still there when I format to reinstall later. I hate running into problems I didn't specifically cause. Hell, I cause more than enough problems on my own. So far, I've managed to crash every version of Windows ever released (except Win1.x and Win2.x)....can even say I've already crashed Win7....lol.

15. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    Win XP used to crash quite easily when it was first released, well it was easy for me to crash anyway. :D

If there were options to remove features during Windows 7 install, some users would probably complain that a whole bunch of stuff doesn't work even though they themselves removed it during the install. ;)

"Ra Ra Ra... Windows won't load... Ra Ra Ra... there is some error message I failed to write down... Ra Ra Ra... yes I did remove some stuff during the install, some crap named Explorer... Ra Ra Ra... I only use Internet Explorer, not that other one... what have you done to my computer, I think your new Windows broke it?"

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Windows XP was a nightmare when it was first released. The driver and compatibility support for it was worse then going from XP --> Vista. 99% of the users then said "no reason for XP, 2000 is faster, better, etc.." Yet now you have the same people saying the same thing about Vista. Now Microsoft has returned to the 2-3 year launch cycle. Most people see this as Vista being shoved out. If that's the case 95, 98 and 2000 were all as big of failures as Vista, as all three were 2-3 years apart.

17. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    Yeah and it will probably take about another 2-3 years before the average user even thinks about using Windows 7 (or longer if they live in Western Australia).

It is quite hard to get a lot of users to even consider Vista. Many laptops now come with Vista installed by default, but some customers insist on having XP. Recently I got a customer a really nice deal on a laptop (actually it was a really really really nice deal, heck I should of purchased it for my wife) and they tried Vista for one day and told me they didn't like it. It then took me quite a few days to track down all the compatible drivers for XP and I only managed to get everything working because the manufacturer gave me their password to their private FTP site. After all that I didn't make much of a profit anyway. :p

If a customer tells me they want XP on their laptop again I'm going to tell them that it won't work and that all laptops now come with Vista and nothing else (which is practically the case anyway). I've met probably 2 people in the last year in my area that are not computer enthusiasts and use an OS other than XP by choice (actually those persons had heard of Linux too)! The average person in Western Australia will probably be using Windows 7 by about 2015 and 2% of the population will have heard of another operating system, with nearly 1% actually using GNU/Linux or another alternative. Man this state is seriously that backward it seems. They eat the Crazy Worm here. ;)

18. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    Yea I just ran into that too with HL2 but I can't remember if TF2 crashed also, but I think it did. I want to get back into TF2 and this OS runs it way better so, I will check again to confirm if it is this. Again it is a Beta so I am not complaining on unfinished code and I hope the sort this out soon.

19. TooRiski

TooRiski Banned

GPU:
    Asus EAH4870 @ 820/1100
    installed win7 x64 everything is fine, even 3dmarko6 score went up compared to vista, but can't get my aw-ge870 (ar5007eg) wireless adapter to install, keeps crashing windows, has some problem with ndis.sys

20. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    I guess you tried running the driver install in Compatibility Mode for Vista, with Run as Administrator also selected? Don't know what else you could try apart from trying to find another driver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.